Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Fantastic 40+ Mum to be - part 2

(1000 Posts)
Hpbp Mon 08-Oct-12 07:42:26

Let's keep on chatting !
Awaiting to hear from you all.
Midget, how are you feeling after the sweep ?
Exexe, are you happy with the new kitchen ? Very glad to see you back on here.
Warm welcome to the only Dad we have on the thread, sorry I could not remember your name as I write this.
Have a lovely Monday. Pouring rain in Paris today.

JBrd Sat 29-Dec-12 09:29:21

Hi all, and welcome to the newbies! I've been lurking in the background, but I just wanted to pop in and say hello again - and share my story of my own little Christmas miracle.

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and words thanks - I had a very rough time before Christmas. The bleeding kept going after I had the scan on the 18th, when they saw the empty sac. And to add to it all, my blood tests gave a strange result - within the 48h between the 2 tests, my hCG levels had gone up instead of down. The EPU didn't seem overly worried, apparently the sac can still keep growing in spite of being empty, which can result in increasing hormone levels. But it meant that they insisted I had another scan a week after the first, to check what was going on on (and if any further intervention was needed). Which meant we had to cancel all our travel plans to go to Germany for Christmas sad Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse.

So we cancelled our flights and arranged to go to DH's parents, where all of his family was going for Christmas Day, all 16 of them shock. Can't say I was too enthusiastic.

So we went back to the EPU on the morning of the 24th for the scan. The sonographer was lovely and explained it all again before she started. And then - within about 5 seconds after she started scanning - she said 'There it is'. Followed by 'There is the heartbeat'!!!!!

And I kept going 'What? What? What?' like some idiot. I just couldn't grasp what she was saying!

So I am still pregnant gringringrin Best Christmas present ever! So so happy and hoping that this bean will keep being a sticky one!

BadMissM Sat 29-Dec-12 09:34:11

Oh JBrd!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's absolutely brilliant!!! I am so happy for you!!!!

somewherebecomingrain Sat 29-Dec-12 11:15:03

JBRD I have tears in my eyes. That is the most lovely thing I have heard in a long time. So pleased for you - warmed through and through. Hurrah Xxx

BadMissM Sat 29-Dec-12 11:34:33

JBrd also so, so, lucky they decided to do a second scan and not intervene smile

scarecrow22 Sat 29-Dec-12 13:26:34

I am also tingling with emotion for you JBrd. Most wonderful Christmas gift too. You now deserve a trouble free pregnancy, and angel baby smile Take good care.

In laws gone so calm can return. Feel a bit cheated working from tmrw straight through new year, but nice to be back to family and home. DD's sleeping still atrocious after trip but now back to just us I can add a bit more firmness to the loving reassurance! I keep threatening to read the Toddler Taming book I was given by my sister (!). She is so fun in days though, enchanted by the Snowman film too, her first film in fact. Also got a good stash of Christmas books for her which I am looking forward to reading, some of them not by Julia Donaldson too! So far, The Tiger Who Came to Tea is her favourite new one.

NewChoos Sat 29-Dec-12 13:34:44

Oh wow fantastic news Jbrd v v pleased for you.
Sorry I have not posted, have had ++nausea and tiredness, also worked over the break.
Am now 11 weeks, Had a scan at 9+5 which was fine from what could be seen, next scan will be Jan 7 at 12+2. Still not seen the midwife for booking in as she is too busy! I think she's p'd off I bypassed her to get a scan but I'd still be waiting otherwise.
Hope everyone had good breaks, will read the thread now to try and catch up.

knottyhair Sat 29-Dec-12 14:00:40

JBrd, so pleased for you! And so sorry I missed your earlier post about the first scan. Keeping everything crossed for you here xx

BadMissM Sat 29-Dec-12 20:56:18

scarecrow The Tiger That Came to Tea was one of my favourite books, and DD's when little...

newchoos Have seen midwife today, and have just realised she still didn't book me for double test for downs, even though am nearly 11 weeks...in fact she did nothing...

BadMissM Sat 29-Dec-12 20:57:21

I'm off to London at hideous o'clock Monday for my Harmony Test...just hope I can get there and back!

scarecrow22 Sat 29-Dec-12 21:37:19

Good luck BadMiss...so want it to go well (including journey!). Check out the dead posh loos too...I took a photo! Oh, and the most expensively, immaculately dressed pregnant people I have ever ever seen...

NewChoos, so pleased about first scan. After second update your due date and you can go onto he meta list more accurately! Looking forward to hearing from you.

JBrd still delighted by your news.

DD's sleeping worst it has been since first week of life. I am never crossing a time zone ever, ever again. Ever. Zzzzzzz

Night all

eagleray Sat 29-Dec-12 23:10:06

JBrd - what fantastic news!!! I am so pleased for you and will keep my fingers crossed lots and lots

BadMissM - all the best for the tests in London - sorry you have such a hike to get to the clinic, but am sure it will be worth it to have peace of mind.

Scarecrow - I had nightmares about tigers in the house after reading 'The Tiger Who Came To Tea' as a child, and reckon The Life of Pi has a fairly similar plot!

For some reason, this thread had vanished for me and I have been missing all the updates over the last few days (and wondering where everyone had gone!). Survived xmas, but DP has been ill with chest infection/asthma for a few days so the pair of us have spent our fair share of time lying in bed, lying on sofa etc with me having occasional bursts of energy and urges to clear out cupboards, clean house etc. Finding nights quite hard now as when I turn over in bed I can feel my pubic bone cracking which is bloody painful!

I have also been trying to get the baby's stuff sorted out - washed a mountain of vests and babygros and am still alarmed at how many I have. There are only a few bits and bobs to buy now but feel less ready than I ever did - think reality must be hitting me...

somewherebecomingrain Sun 30-Dec-12 10:36:30

Eagle you must be beside yourself. Sorry your dp is ill sounds like you've escaped. Hope pubic bones are bearing up. Have you got bag ready? Does it seem real? What's your birth plan?

BADMISSM really good luck with the harmony test.

Newchoos hello and good news re scan nice to see u back.

AFM I've got a kick count app which is a) a good idea and b) something to help pass the time and be intrigued by and pore over, rather as I diarised my MS on my mensteual calendar in the first trim.

Almost 26 weeka and Feeling v third trimester-y - lethargic, bloated, couch-loving. We are sort of homeless in so far as living between parents and MIL which is crucifying all my pregnant nesting instincts but we hope to be renting our own place by feb.

Xxx

BadMissM Sun 30-Dec-12 13:11:49

*somewhere8 going to be a looooong day, leave her at 6am and not back till 10.30 at night...scared and excited at same time...

eagleray at least can actually sleep on the train...(but will endeavour not to sleep on the tube as once actually went round the end of a metro line in Paris....)

Probably better not read 'The Tiger's Wife' then... when I was a child I really wanted the tiger to come to tea!

scarecrow Oh gosh, I'll look like the dowdy provincial tramp...haven't even got any maternity clothes yet, let alone elegant ones!! Plus not sure how elegant I can muster at 6am....bleuugh!

Suppose as native though displaced Londoner at least I won't get lost or panic about directions!

scarecrow22 Sun 30-Dec-12 15:28:36

BadMiss you will not look more out of place than me. Have you seen my MN name? wink
(Actually picked for the "dingle dangle scarecrow" song, but I am renowned for my total lack of interest in fashion or make up: a shower, jeans and a hairbrush are all you need I reckon. At a push the hairbrush is optional!)

JBrd Sun 30-Dec-12 19:59:47

Thanks, ladies, it's been a rollercoaster! I almost feel as if I can't really enjoy the good news, in spite of the positive turn, I'm scared it might still all go wrong... I'm still bleeding/spotting and cramping on and off, so not completely out of the woods yet! It's just sooooo different from my first pregnancy, I had absolutely no problems at all - so all this is making me very wobbly confused
But trying to stay positive as best I can (who am I kidding, I'm still stressing).

Re-booked my booking appointment, it was meant to be last Friday, but I had cancelled it. I'm a bit hmm because both the hospital and the community midwives seem to have 'bumped' me back to being 6 weeks, when I am 9+3 (by lmp). They measured 6 weeks at the scan on Monday, but I am absolutely sure about my dates. And I think that at this stage, it's all very inaccurate anyway - I mean, within a week they went from seeing nothing to measuring 6 weeks! So how can they be so sure about dates?!
The hospital sent me a letter with my dating scan being booked for February 4 - but going by the 'normal' counting, I should have it mid-January. I'm worried that I might miss the window for the nuchal fold measurement and blood tests - I do want those tests, even now. I think I might have to fight my corner about that with the midwife on Wednesday, maybe she can arrange for an additional, earlier scan for clarification...

BadMiss - wishing you good luck for your Harmony test! Really hope it will give you peace of mind!

Newchoos - great news about your scan. Midwives are notoriously hard to get hold off, sometimes you just have to be proactive.

scarecrow - hope your DD goes back to sleeping well soon!

Sorry being all me me me and for not doing more name-checking, I'm still trying to catch up with the recent posts on the thread. Will try and get back in properly asap

BadMissM Sun 30-Dec-12 20:53:42

scarecrow Having moved 3 weeks ago, can't even find my one and only smart coat.... argh. Faced with wearing the one with missing buttons or one I will BOIL in... smile Having not been at work for a while now, wardrobe has completely gone to pot!

JBrd Thanks and fingers crossed all goes well... how do they work the dates? Sounds crazy!

I really should be having a bath and going to bed....!

scarecrow22 Mon 31-Dec-12 08:31:51

Thinking of you today, BadMiss. Let us know how it goes if you can

CaliBee Mon 31-Dec-12 09:32:18

Happy New Year to everybody. x
Jbrd I'm thrilled to bits for you....although I can understand how anxious you must be feeling. I will keep very positive thoughts in my had for you. I too have a scan today as I had a little spotting over the weekend. sad....I'm praying for a little heartbeat.

somewherebecomingrain Mon 31-Dec-12 09:39:46

Calibee And BADMISSM hinking of you xxx

lotsofcheese Mon 31-Dec-12 11:09:10

Good luck to Calibee and Badmiss for scans & appointments. Will be crossing everything for you.

sparkly congratulations, although I'm sorry to hear of your DH's reaction. How are things? My DP suffers from regular bouts of depression & I felt very alone in my last pregnancy. It also makes him very selfish & difficult to live with when he's depressed. I really sympathise with you.

And so relieved for you JBrd. Although you never stop worrying. I would be asking an extra scan too in your situation. Hopefully you'll be entitled to one on the NHS - if not a private scan about 8-9 weeks (by their dates). Agree with you about their dating - seems odd....

I've got my 20 week scan on 2nd - will be nearly 21 weeks then. Have been catching up with sleep since I've been off work since Dec 19th. Getting tired now & much bigger/uncomfortable than last time.

Sorry for not name-checking everyone. Can't scroll back on phone!

Here's to a wonderful 2013 for all of us.

CaliBee Mon 31-Dec-12 20:57:58

Gah....scan not quite what I had hoped. All sonographer could find was an empty sac sad.
They have taken bloods for HCG and will check them again on Wednesday.
Not really feeling very New YEarsy tonight but I still wish you all the best for 2013 xx

blueblackdye Mon 31-Dec-12 21:54:44

Ladies, just a quick wave to you all, to wish you all the best for this pg, long, exciting and scary journey, but so worth it. May you leave all your worries behind you and 2013 bring only joy in your life. Good luck to all. Hope you will join the graduate thread very soon.
Happy New Year

JBrd Mon 31-Dec-12 22:39:44

CaliBee so sorry to hear about your scan, I know exactly how you're feeling! Are they doing blood tests? How many weeks are you, it could just be too early? Take good care of yourself <<hugs>>

JBrd Mon 31-Dec-12 22:40:38

Sorry just saw about the bloods. Fingers crossed for you xxx

BadMissM Mon 31-Dec-12 22:42:25

Oh calibee hang on in there, and Happy New Year xxx

Thanks somewhere and lotsofcheese and scarecrow All went fine today.... had the test, and then have to go back on 14th for results...long day...New Year's Eve not the easiest time to hang around pointlessly...my great plan to take in an exhibition foiled by the fact of them being closed for NYE!

Happy New Year everyone xxx

This thread is not accepting new messages.