Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Sept '08 - The one where they go out into the big bad world (well school!)

(547 Posts)
ninja Tue 29-Jan-13 12:54:25

Hi, couldn't find a new thread and there was only one message to link to one.

Hope I haven't stepped on anyones toes creating this!

Debs75 Tue 14-May-13 21:29:43

Carrie I am forever going through the list of dc's before I get to the right one.

I hate car buying. Luckily we have one through mobility but when it runs out and if ATOS get their way I'm not sure we will qualify for another. With 4 dc's it can be a nightmare getting a good old car and then having to maintain it, which I know nothing about. Still it is definitely needed and better and easier then public transport.

Badvoc Wed 15-May-13 21:12:19

Had the letter today for all the induction days and meetings for Toby's new class!!
<wibble>
Ds1 had a great time at residential but is still tired. All that hanging from zip wires etc!
Poor Toby now has a haematoma under his cheek from his fall at pils 3 weeks ago sad
Got to take him back next week to see gp.
Just hoping it disperses.
Sigh. Things seem very relentless ATM!...

meglet Wed 15-May-13 22:22:26

carrie I think we can only gradually chip away at getting handwriting neat. I've been getting DS to write a couple of sentences about what he had for lunch and what he liked best at school. Then I can gently help him with a couple of his weakest points. I'm trying to keep it as quick and painless as possible, 5 mins max or else it gets very shouty.

Poor Toby Badvoc sad. Is it something that needs to be operated on if it doesn't settle down?

Badvoc Thu 16-May-13 08:09:04

I don't know meg.
If the gp isn't happy next week we will get referred to the max fax at our local hospital.
Wrt writing and reading, I have found that the easiest way to get them engaged is to find their "hook" so to speak...with ds1 it was anything to do with dinosaurs or animals.
With Toby it's letters and numbers and drawing.
They can write stories, journal entries, do drawings and label them eg: parts of a dinosaur or animal.
Even treasure maps are good for labelling!

notcitrus Thu 16-May-13 19:43:42

Looked round ds's school yesterday. Looks good, lots of facilities other schools don't have, but one big problem.
Not the starting - they do full days from the start (thankfully), staggered over 2-3 weeks (so no idea when first day would be. Great for booking leave for his first week, not!)

But - the new building they're just starting means for some unknown reason no space for before/after school care, and they've terminated the contract with the care company as apparently they weren't satisfactory and kept putting the prices up. They have breakfast club currently for a 'few' kids but that's it.

No afterschool care at all, probably no before school care, and local childminders don't do pickup/dropoff so far away. Joy. Apparently they are 'thinking about doing something' as so many parents are furious...

Will see what the wait lists come up with - secretary at 1st choice said lots of parents leave the waiting lists after the kids get their visits.

Badvoc Fri 17-May-13 19:56:29

mrsa
Am watching merlin and thinking of your mum. I hope she now has the peace that she didn't find in life x

meglet Sun 19-May-13 19:47:47

Bookmarking.

DD is currently mucking around when she should be in bed <<sigh>>.

MrsA how are you doing? Even if you don't have the energy to write or to put into words how you're doing, just know that we're all thinking of you.

NC that seems like madness, I hope they listen to the furious outcry!

badvoc and meglet those are great tips for handwriting, thank you. I was thinking about getting the 'big' DCs to do a summer holiday diary, so they can collect things to stick in, and also do a bit of writing practice each day without necessarily realising that's what they're doing mwa ha ha. Has anyone ever done that and did it work, or am I being a bit overambitious?!

We also got our official letter from school last week. The parents' meeting is on 13th June, so we'll find out which class DS1 is in, which teacher and which of his friends from playgroup will be in the same class. Then his first taster session is on Tuesday 18th. Thankfully my mum is visiting that week (only week out of the whole summer term!) so I can just focus on DS1. Its just an hour, 1-2pm, then I can take him out for a milkshake and hear all about it, without having to either entertain DS2, or rush back for DD's pick up at 3pm. He does one other session of an hour, then two mornings with optional staying for lunch <starts hyperventilating, not ready for this>

Badvoc Sun 19-May-13 21:59:33

I will join You in the hyperventilating carrie!
Got Toby's letter about his induction morning, and the parents induction evening, and the informal chat with the teacher!
And a uniform order form!!
Argh....
(Not ready, not ready, not ready)
Oh, and I am sure soon I will get ds1s induction dates for high school
(Waaaaiillls)
He only has 7 more weeks at primary school!
Sob...
sad

Badvoc Sun 19-May-13 22:00:25

Carrie...Melissa and out do a lovely writing and drawing pad - did I mention this already!?
Half the page is lined for writing and the top half is for drawing.
My dc love them.

Badvoc Sun 19-May-13 22:03:31

Gah!
That should read Melissa and Doug!

Oooh I love Melissa and Doug stuff, that sounds like a great idea for a holiday journal. I was thinking of things to get the DCs as presents from the new baby too, I'd forgotten about their great range of colouring/sticker books.
We had the meeting at playgroup today where they told us about the handover between them and school, and how they meet with the teachers and talk about their individual progress etc. DD didn't go to the feeder playgroup so never had all that and was a 'blank sheet' so to speak from the school's point of view, and has got on great from day 1. I'm actually a bit worried that in the 6 hours a week that playgroup see DS1, they can't have got an accurate picture of him, and I'd rather they said nothing than the wrong thing iyswim!

meglet Tue 21-May-13 21:59:29

So my plan to get DD to stay in bed by promising her some Lelli-bloody-Kelly shoes seems to be working hmm. I've told her if she learns to stay in bed for a whole month she can have some I am stupid and desperate.

carrie you're right, 6hrs a week isn't much to go on. I'm sure they will only be talking about positive things.

I've already got all of DD's uniform for next year, the school had some in stock so I didn't have to wait for them to order it in. I'm trying to label 3 items a night, I have to put labels in DS's bigger size uniform too.

Badvoc Tue 21-May-13 22:03:02

Meg.
Bribery is very under rated IMO smile
Hope it works!
I got Toby some polo shirts and trousers today at sainsburys as they have a 25% off sale on ATM.

meglet Tue 21-May-13 22:36:37

badvoc our usual bribes are cheaper things like a new Lego minifigure or comic. But if it buys me some peace in the evenings then she can have her lelli kellys with and light up hair free gift (I'll never be allowed on the feminist threads again!) .

I need to have a look in Sainsburys actually, DS legs are growing so I'd better stock up on bigger jeans.

Badvoc Wed 22-May-13 07:19:59

They had some nice stuff...also got ds1 his nerf gun for his birthday at 25% off too!

meg we're with you on the bribery and corruption - currently got an 'eat your dinner nicely' chart going on for the big kids, the reward being they get to choose a magazine based purely on the tacky gift no doubt in the middle of half term if they play their cards right.
My dad bought DD some lelli kellies as party/wedding shoes...and she doesn't understand the £££ they cost and is keeping them for parties and weddings, which means she'll grow out of them and they'll be hardly worn! If this bump turns out to be a boy then the shoes are all yours meg'sDD!

ninja Wed 22-May-13 21:41:13

for writing, the only thing I ever managed to get DD1 to write were shopping lists (she could choose a certin number of items if she wrote the list) and treasure hunt where we wrote clues and each clue led to a place where the next one was. She devised a number of these for me - it was fun too!

Lelli Kelli's actually are reasonable made having had to buy a pair once for DD1 as when she had a slight fracture they were the only sandles she could get on.

Badvoc - hope Toby is OK

I think M is really ready for school, the routine will do her good. Every day is different atm Monday - Dad, Tue - preschool A - Wed Childminder and preschool A, Thur pre-school B, Friday me.

I think her behaviour will improve when she's in a routine

Badvoc Wed 22-May-13 22:01:08

Thanks ninja.
I think he is, it's just a waiting game for the haematoma to go...could be weeks sad
I think Toby is ready too, but I do foresee some issues with settling. He loves staying all day and having lunch at pre school which is good.
There are currently only 17 dc registered for reception in sept so far.
Think it must have been a low birth rate year!

Debs75 Thu 23-May-13 21:23:02

Carrie I love how you have 'big kids' and soon 'little kids' I do that as well. Beware though as it does make you feel oldgrin

meglet Fri 24-May-13 20:58:26

carrie. If DD does end up with a pair of LK shoes then she'll be on strict instructions to wear them every day. I've timed my bribery campaign to end in July when she'll need new shoes anyway grin.

Have you had your 20 week scan already?

Yes we had our scan, DD asked the sonographer whether or not the baby is girl, thankfully she didn't take instructions from a 6yo!
I had to go for wee/roll over/tip the bed to get baby into a good position, so lots of extra time to coo over it grin. It was declared 'perfect' which is wonderful. Dbro and dSIL are due the same time as us and are having twins - they've just found out its one of each, so at least DD will get a female cousin if not a sister!
I bought most of DS1's uniform this week in the M&S 20% sale. Their trousers are nice and slim fitting for his tiny bum, and I know from experience that you can easily get two years out of the polo shirts without them looking manky!
badvoc how is Toby?
ninja not long til Sept, I promise! (in fact its 14 weeks...wink)
meglet the queen of evil genius grin

meglet Mon 27-May-13 22:45:56

bookmarking.

DD got hold of some nail varnish again tonight. While I was reading DS's story she snuck into my room and grabbed some glittery stuff and painted her nails with more glitter, although not before testing the red varnish - on my cream duvet cover angry. When I bellowed at her to go to sleep a few minutes later she said she couldn't "because her nails were wet" hmm. FFS.

Handy hint - nail varnish remover doesn't remove nail varnish from fabric. It is now a red smudge.

Hi everyone, hope you had a fun half term! One of my friends had a baby, soooo cute and tiny! They've been given a phil&teds but didn't know how to fold it, or what different configurations it could go in. I was round there in a flash this morning getting way too overexcited by a buggy and demonstrating all its features. Fear I need to get out more!
Hope you're all enjoying the sunshine smile

notcitrus Thu 06-Jun-13 23:35:13

Definitely enjoying sunshine! Dd learnt to properly toddle yesterday, and after lunch ended up walking with A all the way from Bond St through Soho and Chinatown to the Transport Museum, which only had 2 other children in the whole place. And lots of ESOL students.

Dd is often sleeping through, which helps everything. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now