Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The other October 2012 baby thread!

(357 Posts)

Sorry for lack of witty title! 4 days post c-section = lack of sense of humour grin

Thumbwitch Sun 18-Nov-12 05:27:44

Thanks Pheebs! smile

A fully milked-up baby is the very definition of the word 'replete', isn't it? I love it when Wriggler decides he's full and just rolls away from the boob with that utterly smugly satisfied look on his face! grin

Agree with propping up the Moses basket (although for some reason I've heard you're not supposed to put stuff under the mattress, just prop the whole thing up one end, but I don't know what the logic is behind that confused)

Wriggler also has full-on milk acne all over his cheeks and various scratches where he bashes himself in the face every now and then. I've already had to cut his fingernails twice shock

Just waiting for my hair and nails to revert to pre-pg state - hair is still thick and lush, and fingernails are long and strong. This won't last <sigh> but I have managed to find the time, Lord only knows how, to actually paint my fingernails with sparkly nail varnish, which is cheering me up every time I see it smile

pinpan Sun 18-Nov-12 23:59:02

So, today I have had milk spilled back upon my face, in my mouth, down my front, into my bra and over my trousers. I've had a poosplosion that waited until the nappy was gone so that the change table could be half an inch thick in it. I was late for my local parenting coffee group because I had to change everyone's clothes but didn't have time or opportunity for a shower. Then I won wailiest baby of the group AGAIN while having to watch other babies eating nicely, burping gently on demand and them being happy to go flat on their backs on the floor to be played with. Indulged in some serious self pity on the walk home. Can someone remind me that it's worth it please?

RunningOutOfIdeas Mon 19-Nov-12 04:08:31

Mmmm puke on your face - lovely! I am sure you have a twin of DD1. On more than one occasion Iifted her legs while changing her and she would fire the poo cannon. It would travel over a metre. I even had to clean it out of an electricity socket once. Also, when flying into Brisbane once, she threw up down my top so I had to go through immigration and customs with a bra full of baby sick.

It really does get better. DD1 has gone from being the noisiest, worst sleeper of the group to the one that let me have lie ins at the weekend, sometimes till 9am. We also had very little trouble with her as a toddler.

It's not all perfect though. DD1 had me up at 1.30 am because she needed the toilet and then couldn't get back to sleep. Now it is 4am and I am holding DD2 upright after feeding, hoping DD1 doesn't wake again and needing matchsticks for my eyes.

pinpan Mon 19-Nov-12 04:48:38

Thanks running! How do you clean an electric socket? It was mostly still milk rather than vom to be fair, but I didn't enjoy it much. She had a 2 hour nap after lunch so I got some sleep too, and now she is snoozing on me (very cute) while I watch Ecclipse, so I will try to forgive her the teary feeding tantrum that came in between! The Internet reckons a brain growth spurt happens this week so perhaps by next week she'll be doing calculus or something.

WeeSooty Mon 19-Nov-12 04:59:45

It's 5am. I remember being a student and being able to cope with being up 24 hours and still looking good and smiling. What has happened to me?!! blush I need sleep!! Minisooty won't sleep!!!

LoopyLa Mon 19-Nov-12 05:07:39

WeeSooty also remember those heady, carefree, student days!! Baby Loopy not sleeping either!! Gaaaah!! shock

Thanks everyone for your support a few days ago when I was having a meltdown, feels comforting that I'm not alone <blows kisses to everyone>

LoopyLa Mon 19-Nov-12 05:11:04

And Baby Loopy properly smiled for the first time last night (@4 weeks old), it was such a heart melting moment smile

MsInterpret Mon 19-Nov-12 05:11:23

Seems a few Of us are up right now...!

MsInterpret Mon 19-Nov-12 05:12:17

Aw, congrats on the smile Loopy!

Makes it all worth it.

WeeSooty Mon 19-Nov-12 05:17:26

Aww loopy that's great. How r u feeling?

Msinterpret how r u? 5am is no fun!!!

LoopyLa Mon 19-Nov-12 05:43:33

Feeling a bit better, thanks WeeSooty, I guess there'll always be bad & good days hmm

And thanks Pheebs for asking after me too smile

Bought an ErgoBaby this weekend, anyone have one of these or similar carrier?

pinpan Mon 19-Nov-12 05:59:09

Mini sooty, mini loopy and mini interpret should make friends! Womble has been snoozing on me for ages now though she does keep wailing in her sleep every now and then! Hope she sleeps tonight.

WeeSooty Mon 19-Nov-12 06:16:54

Lol minisooty also wails in her sleep. It's so weird!! Sometimes she sounds like an old fashioned kettle whistle and others she just whimpers! It's very cute! grin

pinpan Mon 19-Nov-12 07:52:46

Must be having bad dreams, like the milk being taken away before she's full! grin

Loopy we have an ergo with the newborn insert. If we can't get baby thunder to sleep at night we put him in the carrier, walk round for 5 mins and then put him down in the Moses basket in the insert - he stays asleep brilliantly!

LoopyLa Mon 19-Nov-12 16:45:41

That's great Thunder hope I'm as successful!!

Unfortunately wallking at the moment is ultra painful as I seem to have developed sciatica sad It makes rocking & walking Baby Loopy to sleep really very difficult so now back at the doctors to see what painkillers I can throw down my throat!!

Obviously you are all having a similar night to me!! MORNING!! Gah, baby elvis has decided that being wide awake and screaming from9-1.30 am is entirely reasonable and has chosen to do that for the last few nights. I'm knackered and finding it really difficult. The only thing that soothes is boob. Anyone else having this? What do u all think of dummies? She's four weeks old and just wants to nurse. Nothing wrong with that, per se, but I'd like to sleep!
Hi loopy had been wondering if you were ok and thunder I was worried we hadn't seen you since 'that' poster last week.
We've got an ergo sling, I may try that tonight if nothing else works. <steals runnings matchsticks>

LoopyLa Tue 20-Nov-12 08:27:03

elvis big hugs from me. Baby Loopy thinks its acceptable to stay awake from 3 or 4am on a daily basis, not too sure how to break this habit?!!

Pheebs how's Baby Pheebs doing? Any luck with Moses basket? Baby Loopy didnt like to settle in carrycot much either (& doesn't always settle now) but we found persevering with it in the day helped get him used to it at night & we always use a hot water bottle (as pinpan said I think to fool them that they were still getting hugs!)

LoopyLa Tue 20-Nov-12 08:32:06

Yes the Ergo worked a treat for me yesterday!! Baby Loopy was crying for an hour with DH but 10 mins in the Ergo on me & he slept for 90 minutes!! It hurt my back much less than holding him & I was able to have a little walk round the village & see a couple of friends smile I can't seem to put his legs inside the insert though, he wriggles too much confused !! Am hoping he was still comfy though...

LoopyLa Tue 20-Nov-12 08:36:53

Sorry for multiple posts!! blush Can someone send me the link to the f/n group? Weesooty did send it to me but I think it 'expired' before I got a chance to do it? hmm

Pheebs24 Tue 20-Nov-12 10:16:47

Morning all!!

Baby is still not happy left in his moses basket loopy - its hugs or nothing at the minute sad he gave DH a right night of it last night and only settled when I took him to bed with me and he slept on face down on my chest for 4hrs blush fortunately I've never been a fidget at night or it doesn't bear thinking about... I will try the hot water bottle trick though!

I'm really not sure what's keeping him awake, and wonder if not wanting the moses basket is the symptom of being kept up rather than the cause, although he's less scritchy so I think the infacol has been working on his wind issues. I am going to buy a Ewan today as DH is back to work saturday so no more sharing night shifts.

elvis I've used the dummy to settle him twice before when he just wants soothing and not changing/feeding/entertaining. Other occasions I thought it might help he just refused it so I think your baby will tell you if its the right thing. The best advice I've seen is that dummies are only a 'problem' if they're used as more than a tool to help baby go to sleep when they're struggling to do so.

p.s. AIBU to be really pissed off that a friends baby of only a few days difference in age is sleeping 6hrs straight a night? I'm totally furious jealous!

LoopyLa Tue 20-Nov-12 11:12:17

Not unreasonable at all Pheebs, how bloody dare they?!!!

Hopefully they'll turn into a nightmare toddler wink grin

elvis dummies have been brilliant for us! Started using them from 3 weeks and had no problems at all. T will happily switch between dummies/bottles/nipples without issue.

Wasn't put off by that poster, I just struggle to type one handed on my iPhone grin. Have been reading lots though.

Loopy I struggle with legs inside the insert; i don't worry about it too much though.

Thumbwitch Wed 21-Nov-12 10:17:51

Well, got the call today to say that Wriggler is on the list to have his hernia repair tomorrow - eek! I mean, great too - but it's just a bit scary, he's only 6wo after all and it's a general anaesthetic. FX it all goes well - he has to have finished his last feed by 5am, be at the hospital for 7am and his op is at 8am. He should be out by 9:30am but we may have to stay in overnight because of his age. DS1 is at grandma's tonight and tomorrow, so that's one less stress.

pinpan Wed 21-Nov-12 11:11:03

Good luck thumb!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now