Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

November 2012 - babies are here at last

(1000 Posts)
StuntNun Thu 04-Oct-12 12:42:24

This is the post-natal club for graduates of the November 2012 intake.

ShellyBobbs Tue 16-Oct-12 10:43:33

Just keep milking, your supply adjusts to the amount you milk; it really is hard work. Also you will be coming up to the 3 week growth spurt where little Nick will seem constantly hungry, don't fret, it's quite normal but where a lot of mums give up (I nearly did with my first, thank goodness for a very nice health visitor). Don't forget to drink plenty of water yourself.

Seems like we are all set to the 4am club then, at least we all have very good membership.

Sorry, can't help with the doctor.

Lovely to read your updates grin

Evilwater Tue 16-Oct-12 10:48:51

Thanks shelly,
Evil .

daisychain76 Tue 16-Oct-12 11:16:36

Evil there are also some tablets you can get on prescription to help with supply ~ several mums on nicu got them cos they found it hard to keep supply up when exprezsing. l am sure your mw/hv will k.ow the name.

garden l am jealous. l am in that horrivle inbetween bit where matsdnity clothes look wrong but normal clothes don‘t fit.

yw l probably would be that mum on the way to a+e a lot but l don‘t drive and Dh (who does) is a lot saner! smile

I am told l‘ll ‘probably‘ get a mw visit today....

ShellyBobbs Tue 16-Oct-12 11:31:55

Phone them up later if not and tell them 'probably' isn't good enough. It's like you've been dumped off their system now you're home, it's disgraceful!

StuntNun Tue 16-Oct-12 12:28:19

Evil are you expressing where you can see Nick? I found my boobs wouldn't let down if I couldn't see my baby, even a photo can do it, and it works even better if they're crying. I would suggest you look at/start a separate thread as a lot of women express all the time and would have good advice on how often to express, technique and natural remedies/medications to try. There's also the Kellymom website and La Leche League where you can get advice.

Definitely get help though, I had problems with supply with DS1 and ended up supplementing with formula for one feed a day but I probably could have built up my supply by expressing if only I had known what to do.

That said, there's nothing wrong with combining breastmilk and formula and that works for a lot of women.

ShellyBobbs Tue 16-Oct-12 12:40:43

The only way I could manage to express with all 3 of mine (and I had TONS of milk, just couldn't get it out) was having baby feed on one boob and using the hand pump on the other at the same time. I used to get 2oz at a time doing that.

ValiumQueen Tue 16-Oct-12 12:45:02

I used to express both before and after baby fed. My boobs would be like shaken coke bottles, so I had to take a bit off otherwise the poor little scrap used to get blown off and choke on the milk. I also used to express after them feeding on both boobs so as to stimulate them more. They would get the days extractions in the evening when most fractious.

ShellyBobbs Tue 16-Oct-12 13:18:29

I once hit my hubby on the other side of the bathroom by squirting milk at him. It was a very long bathroom too grin

YellowWellies Tue 16-Oct-12 13:20:13

All of these expressing tips are so helpful ladies - thanks mucho!

ShellyBobbs Tue 16-Oct-12 13:50:38

The bathroom one is not to be advised unless said hubby is holding out a bottle to aim into.

daisychain76 Tue 16-Oct-12 14:10:04

Lol shelly. Well, finally had a MW visit. We basically were off the system ~ they‘d not been told we were discharged and had no notes on us. MW then proceeded to nearly let him roll off her lap when getting him undressed to weigh, asked me if l watched Downton Abbey as that had someone who‘d died of pre~eclampsia, then wrote his weight down wrong! Main thing is though that he is putting on weight and doing fine.

ShellyBobbs Tue 16-Oct-12 14:25:18

How reassuring for you! What does he weigh now, it's good he's doing well.

DonnaDoon Tue 16-Oct-12 14:32:24

Congratulations Nebbo thanks ... Evil I second what everyone else has said about milk supply...the more you feed the more you make...Darcey is being fed every 2 hours approx I wake her in the night because she was so early I want to keep her topped up and putting on weight.

daisychain76 Tue 16-Oct-12 14:33:03

4 pound 6 and a bit now. Figure l have an excuse to eat chocolate and try and pass the calories on smile

DonnaDoon Tue 16-Oct-12 14:35:27

Hi Daisy glad to hear your little man is putting on weight...do you wake him in the night too? Me thinks Im making a rod for my own back but she went down to 5lb12oz in hospital and was jaundiced so I am just obsessed with feed feed feeding her to build her up big and strong IYSWIM

daisychain76 Tue 16-Oct-12 14:56:03

Thanks Donnawhen he was tube fed in hospital with expressed milk he was fed every 4 hours so l don‘t let him go longer than that. He usually wakes every 2 or 3 hours anyway. l know what you mean ~ l am so tempted to feed him every time he stirs but the fact the nurses thought 4 hours was ok has reassured me a bit.

rowingdowntheriver Tue 16-Oct-12 14:57:09

Just thought I'd pop over to say hi to those of you on the other side! Hope you are all well and coping with the night feeds?

evil, I thought I'd mention fenugreek tablets to you as that is what I was recommended when I was struggling with my milk supply with DS. It did seem to help so might be worth trying. Otherwise very regular feeding and expressing (literally every hour or two) works.

I agree wit stuntnun though that combined feeding is fine if it works for you. It is what I ended up doing with DS and will probably do the same with the next one. Whatever you end up doing, please don't beat yourself up - breast milk is not the be all and end all and I think it is so much more important to have a mother that is as happy as is possible (given the lack of sleep and shock of looking after a new born!)

kissyfur Tue 16-Oct-12 15:43:16

evil for a cranial osteopath I would contact the Osteopathic Centre for Children (OCC) occ.uk.com/ who should be able to recommend someone in your area

ShellyBobbs Tue 16-Oct-12 17:09:22

Not an excuse Daisy, a necessity! I was just telling the others on the other thread that I phoned up this morning about all my homebirth stuff, pool etc. and saying that nothing had been arranged yet. I've just had it delivered, can't believe that this service is from the same hospital you are having trouble from.

TheDetective Tue 16-Oct-12 17:17:11

I found expressing in the bath helped supply.... and definitely having the baby in site, or a blanket or picture of baby if not!

The more relaxed and focused on baby, the more production seems to increase!

I'd also say if you think your supply is decreasing, increase the frequency of pumping for the stimulation alone, even if minimal, or no production.

It is stimulation what will increase supply.

TheDetective Tue 16-Oct-12 17:17:29

*Sight, not site!!

ShellyBobbs Tue 16-Oct-12 17:39:14

Oh yes, the bath - I felt like Cleopatra some nights grin

StuntNun Tue 16-Oct-12 19:01:41

The new ante-natal thread is here http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1584066-November-2012-babies-arriving-early-and-impatient-mummies-to-be if you're following both threads and want to mark your place.

StuntNun Tue 16-Oct-12 19:01:51
StuntNun Tue 16-Oct-12 19:02:39

This thread is not accepting new messages.