Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2011 - my, oh my, how the first years flew by!! It's birthday season!!

(983 Posts)
MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 19-Sep-12 21:33:03

So excited that the first birthdays are upon us! Will try get a copy of the stats..

sassy34264 Thu 07-Feb-13 10:42:01

I hope mrh interview went well mrsh

I'm currently wiping away tears of happiness!

Sil has just posted on FB that she has got a place at liverpool uni for nursing starting in sept.

And to think she had stage 3 cancer a year ago. So happy for her.

ClimbingPenguin Thu 07-Feb-13 14:55:34

quick dash in

hope all are well

CheshireDing Fri 08-Feb-13 13:01:23

Yey Sassy how wonderful for her smile

Mummy sometimes I think she is confident and sometimes she seems like a little mouse grin

Made Lemon Meringue Pie last night, it took AGES to make too and then I dropped it putting it in the oven. It came out of it's case and stuck to the oven door. It tasted fit even if it wasn't "structurally sound" afterwards though.

ClimbingPenguin Fri 08-Feb-13 13:02:20

chesire I do that still as an adult

MummyDuckAndDuckling Fri 08-Feb-13 13:06:49

Lemon meringue pie.. Mmmm smile

Sassy- how wonderful!!! Wish her every success!

My friend had an emergency section last night at 30 + 4 due to pre eclampsia. Gave birthday to a little boy weighing 2lbs 11! He's doing very well and breathing on his own which she is delighted with. I think also not to bad a weight for being 10 weeks early. They had tried to leave her as long as possible but by yesterday morning her bloods were showing that her kidneys were starting to struggle, they had no choice. Poor wee pet sad

PenelopeLane Sat 09-Feb-13 06:44:35

I really want lemon meringue pie now ...

mummy I hope your friend is doing well - wow, 30 +4, that's early.

sassy that's fab! Well done your SIL smile

I saw that hats you made for him on FB duck that must be so scary for her. Hope mum and baby are doing well.

We're not doing well in our house at the mo. W had a bad virus a couple of weeks ago and gave it to DH who gave it to me! They are both ok now but I can't shift a bad cough from it, then Thursday night after we put W to bed he vomited thought it was a one off but no D&V for him through thurs night and fri. No vomit since yesterday afternoon but still runny poo today. fx we don't get that too!

Sorry for the whine hope everyone else is ok smile

CheshireDing Mon 11-Feb-13 20:08:45

Hope the poo-fest has improved Strawberry.

2lb 11 is SOOOOOO tiny, awwww, impressive for him that he is breathing unaided too Mummy

Climbing I suppose I do too sometimes, depends on the situation I guess. I played with her with some of the toys and than backed off and let her do her own thing and she was just stood there but then now and again looking over at me and smiling grin. She might be more confident tomorrow as she went last week now - bizarrely she went to a new soft play which we had never been to before and as soon as her coat and shoes were off she was gone!

My friend had her first baby this afternoon in the car as they only just made it to the hospital doors. Looks like the Hypnobirthing and Acupuncture worked wink

CheshireDing Mon 11-Feb-13 20:27:48

< runs in hyperventilating >

I think I might be pregnant!!!! Decided to POAS to see if I could get any baby-vibes off my friend and I have stared at it a million times I am SURE there is a faint line there. DH is out, arrrggghh.

OMG so giddy.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Mon 11-Feb-13 20:54:22

Picture on fb please cheshire!!!!

MrsHende Mon 11-Feb-13 20:55:29

Oh Chesh! Have everything crossed for you here!

Do you have another test to do in the morning - can you restrain yourself till morning?!?! Excited for you!!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Mon 11-Feb-13 20:56:12

In our group of course wink

TallyBear Mon 11-Feb-13 22:21:27

Oooooo Cheshire.......

Very proud of myself, made a key lime pie and brownies for a lunch party thing yesterday. I'm certainly no Mary Berry but they came out really well smile. Also did homemade fancy chocolate slabs, a la Hotel Chocolate but a fraction of the price.

Seb is off...toddling about all over the place now. Admittedly he does still crawl for speed smile

<waves to all>

PenelopeLane Tue 12-Feb-13 05:35:41

Cheshire grin grin EXCITING!

A faint line is still a line. This time I had a super faint one, then darker lines each day three days in a row.

Tally that sounds delicious!

I had my first MW appointment today - it gave me real dejavu in a good way, as it was this time 2 years ago I had my first one for A, and have the same MW as well. Hoping to go for an early scan next week to make sure things are OK and to date things properly.

Ooh cheshire how exciting fx for you here grin

tally that sounds yummy I love key lime pie

pene how lovely that you have the same midwife smile do you have an edd yet? Is A going to end up sharing his birthday!?

Engelsemama Tue 12-Feb-13 13:17:36

Came on to moan but now too excited about cheshire POAS. A line is a line is a line y'know grin

Back late Sunday from weekend in UK to say goodbye to my Dsis who is off on her travels again next week (she's heading your way pen ). DH was ill all weekend and M wasn't great - temperature, still hacking cough, off his food. Took him to Dr this morning and he has a chest infection so he's on antibiotics for the next week (and bang go my 2 days "off" that I was counting on to get my school work done).

I'm ill as well (complete snot bag and throat like razor blades), so we're a little house of miseries right now. Making myself a steak and mushroom pie and have some coffee ice cream in the freezer to cheer me up smile

Have any other babies had a hair cut yet? M's hair is getting in his eyes and so long at the back he looks like he has a mullet! Should I just do it myself? (or will the other babies laugh at him?)

CheshireDing Tue 12-Feb-13 13:51:52

Okay have stopped hyperventilating grin

Mummy I can't take a photo (tried to last night to send to DH) but the line is SO faint it doesn't really work on a phone.

MrsH we have millions of testers grin DH bought 60 by accident for £3 (Twice!) before P was cooking. It's just the little strips, not the actual plastic casing - he bought them off Amazon/Ebay, can't remember which. Consequently we have loads to use!

I did another last night but nothing on that one - DH said it would be too "watered down" at 10pm and another this morning and I think the faint line is still there. Will try again Fri or Sat.

Tally that all sounds very fit, do you have a good recipe for the Key Lime Pie? If so can I have the link please.

DH said the same Pene and Engels, rare to have a faint negative but not unusual to have a faint positive (or something like that anyway).

Strawberries right Pene could No2 be born on 6th October as well (that'd be exciting) smile

Engels I have had a snot nose and throat for 3 weeks now, sorry to be the bearer of bad news sad, loads of people seem to have been stuck with it for weeks. P had a fringe "created" the other week by the hairdresser. DH said he didn't like it but she looked like a scruffy surfer dude! Personally am too scared to do it myself.

ClimbingPenguin Tue 12-Feb-13 13:57:59

good luck over the next few days chesire

pen you too, hope DS improves

ClimbingPenguin Tue 12-Feb-13 14:00:09

sorry engels not pen blush

I've cut W's hair eng it looked ok although I did take the fringe a little short it's grown though and I think he's due another one soon. I'm too cheep to pay a fortune of someone to do it especially when DH does mine!

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 12-Feb-13 16:04:01

A line is a line!! Keep testing over next few days. I bought a big pack of 30 on amazon for £3 when I first 'suspected' as I was to cheap to spend £12 on a test that i thought would turn out negative blush. I think I was so stunned that I used about 10 grin. Fingers crossed for you. Are you feeling any different? I didn't think I could be till I was a few days late, then I just 'knew' but told myself not to be ridiculous grin

Engels, that can't be fun. Touch wood I've not been ill when S has been. Couldn't imagine what it would be like trying to look after us both. There is still a lot of flu/norovirus going around. There were planning to shut the flu line that NHS 24 runs shortly but have decided to extend it till end of feb.

Speaking if work, things have picked up shift wise. Managing to get 20 hrs per week by doing 2 night shifts. I'm trying to do fri and sat as it means enhanced pay as the hours go into the weekend and Sunday so im getting a good wage from it. It's long (10pm till 8am) but it goes fairly fast. I've been taking my crochet to do smile. Just wish it could be made permanent and I'd happily sign on the line! I may approach then about it...

Spent the day here painting living room. Having a new heating system put it next Tuesday so pulled the old heater out so I could get the wall plastered and painted. Looks much cleaner now. Don't think it had been done since I moved in 6 years ago!

Haircut, S has had a few trims. Her hair is wild, cows lick and has inherited my curly hair confused so its all over the place! She did have a fringe cut but I'm just growing it out now as it will never sit right. My friend is a hairdressers so she just takes the ends off it when she does mine. Don't know if I'd be brave enough to do it myself!

Right, must go look in the freezer for dinner ideas. No energy to start cooking so think it might just be pasta or fish fingers

Engelsemama Tue 12-Feb-13 18:41:40

Our washing machine has been making funny sounds and when DH investigated the filter we found 2 decapitated duplo dog feet in it! Only thing is, not sure how they got into the filter (if they went in the wash, the holes are way to small for them to get through into the machine), not sure how they got into the washing machine in the first place (our machine is a top loader and also in a separate room that M cannot get into - it's always locked, so he couldn't have just popped it in the machine when I wasn't looking) and finally...where's the rest of the dog?! (okay, that was 3 things, but hey)

MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 12-Feb-13 18:53:48

Engels, has no one ever told you that toddlers are crafty little things...
That's funny though and a bit of a mystery. I found random toys in the tumble drier after I loaded it up without looking inside and it started making a crazy noise. Is it possible they got caught up with something then put in wash? Still wouldn't explain the filter though..

TallyBear Tue 12-Feb-13 21:43:51

Pen how cool to have the same midwife.

Engles Hope you feel better soon. Ice cream is a well known cure for all sorts of things grin Not cut Seb's hair yet, it's getting a bit long at the back now.

Cheshire/Mummy Lol, I thought I was clever getting 2 for £1 at poundland!

Cheshire I used this recipe although I forgot to put the 'base' up the sides turned out lovely though.

PenelopeLane Tue 12-Feb-13 22:14:44

Englels hope you all feel better soon. A has been sick too - DH and I have had to have a day each off work this week to look after him. He is so sweet though, wanting to sleep on me all the time, so have spent hours lying on couch under baby and being covered in snot

Tally you have inspired me to get an ice cream grin

A has had two haircuts, not counting the accidental mullet I gave him when I first tried. There is a mall area here that is filled with children's and babies shops, and includes a children's hair dresser (they cut the hair in front of TVs to keep the kids distracted!), so I go there as it's not to pricey and no more risks of mullets that way. A looks like a much older boy though since his hair cut.

Duck that's good you're getting more shifts!

Honest question: how much TV do your DCs watch? No judgement, just curious. I was wanting to wait until A was two until I realised that A) that was easy to say when he was a baby but not a toddler, and B) Bob the Builder is the best way for me to get anything done sometimes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now