Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2011 - my, oh my, how the first years flew by!! It's birthday season!!

(983 Posts)
MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 19-Sep-12 21:33:03

So excited that the first birthdays are upon us! Will try get a copy of the stats..

Engelsemama Wed 30-Jan-13 14:38:55

Huge congrats pen !

<waves to scheh>

sassy34264 Wed 30-Jan-13 15:21:39

Big congratulations pen happy for you. x

scheh glad your wedding plans are going well.

I left eva with my mum today, while the twins were at nursery- so i could go to the gym. (1st time since nov blush )

She wasnt happy. sad she didn't cry but my mum says she was out of sorts and didn't utter a word. I can hear her gabbling on now as i type, so she is normally very vocal. She has been left with my mum loads of times, but never without the twins being there. I'm planning on doing it at least once a week, so hopefully she will get use to it.

Court tomorrow.........groan. They delayed it until i could attend. I wish they had just done it in my absence instead. grr.

ClimbingPenguin Wed 30-Jan-13 15:25:12

congrats pen good luck over the upcoming weeks

sassy good luck for tomorrow, we'll be here for any ranting that is needed.

Had the absolute scariest experience of my life this afternoon. W was going backwards down the stairs with me next to him as we've done a million times before when he lost his footing and literally went head over feet over down the rest of the stairs I just couldn't grab him fast enough. Don't think I've ever felt panic like I did then. Back from A&E and sat in the car while he naps he checked out fine thank god but I don't think I'll ever be able to forget seeing my baby flip down the stairs in front of me like that.

Good luck for tomorrow sassy

ipswichwitch Wed 30-Jan-13 19:15:33

Congrats pen, I'm dead chuffed for you thanks

God how scary sp. So glad he's checked out fine though. Sometimes I think these things are worse for us dealing with the shock - the kids just bounce back and carry on! Have yourself a wine / brew
(Delete as appropriate!) they really need a chocolate emoticon here!

TallyBear Wed 30-Jan-13 21:20:02

Hi Sche

Congratulations Pen thanks How exciting.

Sassy Gook luck tomorrow in court.

Straw How scary, glad he's OK. Babies are very resilient - so I'm told. They don't know to be scared so are completely relaxed and therefore less likely to do any damage, but scary for us though. I always go behind (underneath) Seb when he is going downstairs (sometimes have to be mightily quick about it!) as he sometimes decides to stop and have a sit down mid-step! Although now he slides down on his tummy (as per soft play photo on fb) it's marginally safer. grin.

I second the choc emoticon. Come on mn!

PenelopeLane Thu 31-Jan-13 06:35:48

Thanks so much for the kind words smile

SP that must have been terrifying! It makes me shudder just to think about. Ips I agree with you about shock. When A was 3 months we were walking up a massive hill and DH stopped to take a pic and thought he had put the pram brake on. He hadn't, and the pram whizzed off down hill and thank goodness veered to the side and into a grassy ditch rather than the other way as that would have meant pretty much going over a cliff. I still get heart palpitations when I think about it.

Sassy good luck!

CheshireDing Thu 31-Jan-13 09:56:43

Aww Pene I am super please for you, I am envy too though grin. You don't have to feel you need to be sensitive to me, sticky bean No2 will either turn up or it won't for us. I blame P the Human Feeding Monster for bf until October so stopping AF turning up wink.

Sorry I have read back but too much to comment on, plus I have been whingy and negative so thought I better keep away.

I got made redundant, it is P's last day in nursery as can't really justify the cost whilst I am scratching about (feel very guilty taking her out though because she clearly loves it and is really advancing) and my Uncle died (he was only 49 and wasn't ill beforehand). All in all, a bit pants so far sad

Good luck today Sassy.

ClimbingPenguin Thu 31-Jan-13 14:08:21

that sounds really shit chesire do come and vent here though.

PenelopeLane Thu 31-Jan-13 18:01:30

Cheshire what a terrible run of events! Job,your uncle ... hope you feel ok.

49 is farrrrrr too young.

Oh chesh what a horrible time you've been having ((hugs)) hope thing get better soon and do come and vent here that's what we're for!

Engelsemama Thu 31-Jan-13 20:03:53

sassy hope court went well (as well as expected under circs anyway)

strawb that sounds horrible sad Glad W is okay

ips here for choc icon (maybe we should request one from HQ?!)

chesh sounds like 2013 has been a pile of shit so far. It never rains but it pours. Rant away.

Have just got back from a short run (bloody cold and windy out there!). Feeling very unfit at the moment and have really missed being outside. I WILL take M outside tomorrow for a walk and play!

MrsHende Thu 31-Jan-13 22:59:25

That's wonderful news pene! Congratulations! thanks I'm sure that lots of us will be joining you soon (fingers crossed!!).

Hope court went well sassy.

That is all rubbish news chesh, I hope February is a lot better for you.

sassy34264 Fri 01-Feb-13 16:56:48

Sorry for your horrible start to 2013 cheshire fx it gets better. x

Court went well in the sense that his appeal got rejected, but not so well in the fact that the judge was an old school matron-no nonsense type, and even shouted at me. made me cry. blush

Hopefully it ends here, but i'm not holding my breath......

PenelopeLane Sat 02-Feb-13 06:14:45

sad sassy that the judge made you cry. Hopefully, as you say, it does end here.

Engelsemama Sat 02-Feb-13 07:59:08

sassy it makes me really angry that there are some people in authority who think it's acceptable to shout at people. It's so unprofessional. Judges, (just like police officers, teachers and other public figures) are supposed to "set an example" iyswim. If I was telling my students off for misbehaving I wouldn't shout in their faces or start swearing at them. One of my friends had a similar experience with a judge when she was in court for a minor driving offence. Being polite doesn't cost anything.

Sending you a big hug and hoping that it's over. x

Engelsemama Sun 03-Feb-13 09:52:31

Just saw on fb that countrymama has had a baby boy!

CheshireDing Sun 03-Feb-13 10:32:50

Ha ha hope it gets better after this too, I swapped my car last week to something more economical, lower mileage etc, in immaculate condition and I got some cashback for mine (always useful at the moment!). So had the car 6 days and it now has a MASSIVE dent in its roof sad We can only presume it's from the snow falling off the house, or a REALLY fat cat grin. The garage said really it needs a new roof and then the insurance would just write it off but that's a bit ridiculous so he is going to try and push it out but he said it will never be as perfect as it was before and it will cost about £300 sad sad It had only been owned by a old lady before it was absolutely perfect condition!

Also the day before I was made redundant I ordered a new fridge freezer and cooker and just noticed yesterday the cooker knobs are out of alignment so waiting for Baumatic to respond. I hope that's it now!!!

I didn't even know Country was pregnant again Engels. Very happy for her smile

Sassy can you complain/does anyone care if you do about the judge? I thought someone previously had said they should stop all the court meetings etc (although I am prob getting confused)

Are you going to find out if No2 is a boy or girl Pene? Have you booked your holiday yet?

We are off to a Bake Off this morning and they are auctioning cakes afterwards, very excited grin

MummyDuckAndDuckling Sun 03-Feb-13 11:42:51

Cheshire- they say bad luck comes in 3's so I'm sure you have had you share!!! Fingers crossed no more. Any hopes on a job? It's really tough in the job market just now. Hope something comes by soon.

S has a birthday party this afternoon so we are just killing time. It's right bang in the middle of when she would usually go for a nap. Not sure how well she will last! Oh and I felt tooth number 8 this morning when she was in the bath. May have a full mouth by the summer grin

Took S to a swimming class on fri that I get with my gym membership and she loved it! I put arm bands on her (I hate them but instructor insisted..) and she was just about letting go of me shock. I want to try get her one of the swim jackets with floats attached but it will need to wait till through the week. I'm working nightshift next Thursday so class is on again tomorrow so will make that one instead

Not much else happening here.. Hope everyone is good grin

Engelsemama Sun 03-Feb-13 11:43:31

Oh no chesh sad

Have fun at Bake Off (which reminds me, DH made a cake yesterday afternoon...nom nom nom)

PenelopeLane Sun 03-Feb-13 18:22:50

Wow congrats to countrymama - I remembered someone said they were pregnant ages ago but couldn't remember who blush

Cheshire yes I'll find out - feel like it's a boy so need to find out in case I'm wrong and don't want to carry wrong feeling through! And yes we've booked our holiday for early April so it should be ok still ... yay! Hope things get better for you

I am having to go away for work today, first night away from A sad

MrsHende Tue 05-Feb-13 22:01:11

How did the night away go Pene? I've not done that yet either, building up to it (slowly!). Would almost kill for a lie-in though so that may be the deciding factor!

Feeling rubbishy here. Just a rotten cold but it's dragging me down.

On the bright side DH has an interview tomorrow so please send positive vibes to Manchester at 10.30!

Right, off to bed!

PenelopeLane Wed 06-Feb-13 04:51:11

<< vibes to MrHende>>

Night away went ok thanks ... almost better than expected. BUT at the end of day 2 I went to the airport for my flight home, found it to be cancelled, drove the 3.5 hrs to the next airport, missed last flight, and had a second night away. That was less fun! Home now though - I missed A terribly the second night

CheshireDing Wed 06-Feb-13 13:10:20

That sounds like a PITA Pene sad It always seems worse to have a delay for a short flight because you always end up thinking "I could be there by now!".

Engels I am going to try and make a Lemon Meringue this weekend, never done before but I watched a programme about Mary Berry last night and got all baking-excited grin.

Got P some wellies off ebay for £1.70 and there's no snow now! Hopefully they will last until next year.

I took P to a new class yesterday and one of her regular classes today, all the other children are taller (excluding about 2 out of 20) and older so I understand they will be more confident. I wanted to ask though whether your babies are the same, do they just stand watching for ages and get involved straight away?

MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 06-Feb-13 16:48:13

Cheshire- that's funny you should mention that as I was talking to my friend the other day about the same thing. In any new situation S stands for the longest time just watching and observing all the other children and then joins in. She doesn't cling to me or look to me for any reassurance however. I think she is very confident, she just needs a few mins to check everyone/thing out! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now