Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

September 2012 babies - warmest welcome!

(997 Posts)
Macaroons Fri 14-Sep-12 21:50:28

Here's the new thread for September babies fresh from the oven!

I'm a first time mum and I'm struggling with breast feeding at the moment, my 6-day old DS always seems to be hungry (a feed every 2-3 hours, each lasting roughly an hour), and when he's hungry he's very aggressive towards my nipple sad it really hurts! Any tips out there? And how often do you feed your baby and for how long?  how do you teach your baby to be gentle on the nipples? envy

Good luck to those still waiting for their babies to come out! Will be watching out for more baby news!

ThedementedPenguin Tue 05-Feb-13 05:20:09

leelteloo yes Herbie has done much better, has drained 6oz bottles all day. So I'm hoping it was just teething of something. It's very frustrating when you can't really do anything to help.

I can't believe the amount of people in my family that a so, oh wean him now, he's such a big boy he needs more than milk.

Has anyone started to wean there babies yet? My auntie has weaned her youngest dc. He is 4 months old. So the fact he was taking loads of milk could of been the growth spurt but she very much a wean as soon as you can. I'm dreading the whole weaning process and don't want to start for a good while.

Hope baby B is okay with her injections tomorrow ballroom.

Glad Herbie picked up for you again Rachel. Maybe his wee teeth were annoying him or something.

Baby B was absolutely fine after her injections this time. I really did expect the worst considering what she was like after her last two and got the best. Did have to give her calpol last night as her teeth are driving her nuts. The cheek was beetroot red and she was pulling at her ear all day on that side.

I haven't started weaning and I'll be putting it off until as close as I can to the six month mark. It's such a faff and there's six months to get them used to it as you're meant to look at milk being their main source until a year old. Really don't see the rush - and Baby B on a good day takes about 35 oz of milk. I feel like a strange being amongst as all my friends as they have weaned early (3-4 months).

It's v frustrating Penguin & Ballroom - I'm sure it's K's teeth upsetting her too but it would be so much easier if she could just tell me I have said to her 'Just use your words, Kerenza!' she's been doing the ear pulling thing for the last couple of days too, was very shiny red cheeked last week although that's better this week and some appalling nappies besides.

I'm also holding off on weaning as long as I can, DH has awful tummy problems, colitis and all the rest which are thought to be made worse by early weaning and I don't want DD to suffer in the same way. Mind you, we want to do baby led weaning but by the way my family other people react to this you'd think I'd suggested putting tea in her bottle and giving her Maccy D's for her first food smile

I'm hoping to do BLW too Nightmare
Purely so I can sit and eat my dinner without having to spoon feed a baby as well as mopping up after DS.
I think she already reckons she's getting food soon because she follows my fork from plate to mouth whilst refusing to let me put her down.
I'm going to try to leave it as late as possible. She's not sleeping through the night anyway so I won't let myself get convinced that's the reason she's not sleeping.
I did my second fast day today. Just had normal dinner with the boys but weighed my chips my food out.
I'm quite impressed with my stamina. I think because I know I can't eat ANYTHING I stay out of the kitchen and don't graze. I see it as whenever I diet I feel starving all the time, so might as well condense it to just two days.
I hope I see results soon!

ThedementedPenguin Wed 06-Feb-13 20:54:39

Glad to hear the injections went well ballroom

Oh it's all go on the teeth front then, Herbie has went off his milk a bit today, cheeks are very red as well as bum. However, no ear pulling.

Herbie has got such a bad temper, it's crazy how he gets worked in no time at all. He is also refusing to sleep in his cot, last night only settled because Dp put him in our bed then moved him over when we went to bed. Dp put him up to bed over an hour ago and he has only just fallen asleep now.

I'm not sure what way I'm going to wean. I only ever knew about the purre (sp?) route but now I'm considering blw. Hopefully I'll have a bit of time before I have to decide. Although I'm very confused about it all. As hv says some things to me which I just don't get.

whereare you don't find the starve days really hard then? I'm thinking of doing this, although it will be a while before I do as I'm not feeling great. So I'm waiting until I get better before I start.

It's not too bad really. I find dieting every day hard so only being hungry for two days is much better. Also I find if I've skipped breakfast I can go longer without eating. And doing things to distract myself. Trying to stay out of the kitchen helps, so no washing up got done today.
You can have 500 calories on a fast day and I'd prefer to just have a decent evening meal than a load of lettuce all day. Today I had quorn chicken burgers some french fries and a pile of frozen veg. I'm hungry now so I've come to bed and just look forward to some nice toast in the morning and maybe a bowl of cereal too

I think DD is beginning to teeth but no real signs, just moany and scratching at her ears.
And she still hasn't quite got used to a dummy. DS keeps finding them and putting them in her mouth but she won't suck it. It just shoots out and she can't reach it!

I say the same to B Nightmare. 'Right B you've been changed, fed, don't want to lie down, don't want to be held, you're not tired. What exactly is it you do want?'

I started with puree with ds and moved to BLW after three weeks when he decided himself he decided he didn't want spoonfed. It's so much easier but dear God, the mess grin . He's always been a fantastic eater. Don't know what to do with dd, just do BLW or do the same as I did with ds. Start with puree to get her used to different textures then switch to purely finger foods after a few weeks. I know they say their iron stores start to deplete after 24 weeks and that why food is introduced, but dd is bottle fed and 6+months formula now has extra iron in it so I don't see the hurry.

LiloLils Thu 07-Feb-13 12:46:26

Hello everyone

I'm a long time September baby lurker and thought I'd say hello.

I find reading your comments, advice, problems, tips and general chat reassuring and helpful. Thought it was about time I got in on the action!

Not sure what I want to say really.

A bit of background info on DS I suppose! His sleep is all over the shop at the moment. He's good at night, as in he has never screamed all night (yet!) But I think that's cos I don't let him. As soon as I hear him cry I get up and feed him if he's hungry or just cuddle him until he goes back to sleep. I don't mind doing this, but I can't help feeling I'm making a rod for my back (this is what loads of people have said) but I haven't the heart to let him cry, and it just seems easier. What does everyone think about this? Am I making it worse for myself??

I've also had some issues with DH, he's been choosing his social life over his family life recently. We had "the chat" last week. He said he finds it difficult that I make all the choices about DS and everything he does with DS is wrong in my eyes. So I've said I'll stop being judgemental (so hard when he does things with DS that doesn't fit in with our little routine) and he's promised to be there more for me and DS. I said this is his final chance to show his worth as a father or he's out the door. (We've had this chat one too many times) am I being harsh? Has anyone else had these problems? If so, how did you handle it?

Phew sorry I have just unloaded there. I'd love to be able to comment on what everyone on here is going through but there is so much going on I don't know where to start and DS is about to wake from nap!

Thanks for reading xxx

LiloLils Thu 07-Feb-13 12:54:00

Oh, also, DS had his bcg over a week ago. There is no mark on his arm whatsoever. I'm worried it hasn't worked. Thought I'd see if this happened to anyone else. I thought it was supposed to scab up? Should I call HV about this??

leelteloo Thu 07-Feb-13 16:18:10

Hi Lilo, I don't let my baby cry at night either. If he wakes up for a bottle I feed him. Luckily most nights that's not till about 5 or 6 but when I hear him I feed him. I sleep in spare room with him and don't want him waking up dd or dh.
With regards to dh; whole another thread really but he is "difficult" to say the least. I pretty much make all the decisions re kids and actually like to be in control of that side of things. Would drive me insane having him telling me what to do with them. He is inherently selfish and quite immature and also has a binge drink problem: so you are not alone in struggling with your partner Lilo! I just don't post about him as it depresses me and I have tried being separated from him and its even harder than being with him. So grinning a bearing it at the moment; hoping the therapy he is now attending (one of the conditions of coming back to him) begins to help him.
Re weaning, going purée then finger food route. Tried blw with dd and the stress of all the gagging was too much for me to bear. I have already started with baby rice and fruit once a day: he loves it.
Diet starts back on Monday!

LiloLils Thu 07-Feb-13 16:32:47

Leelteloo thanks for replying. Your DH sounds exactly like mine. But you're right, its depressing, so let's leave it at that!

I too sleep in spare room with DS and I do all the night feeds, glad I'm not the only one who picks up as soon as little one makes a sound!

I did try DS on puree and he loved it but it gave him constipation so that stopped

Moominmamma86 Thu 07-Feb-13 16:43:22

I just wanted to drop by and say 'hello!' Just joined mumsnet, am a first time mum and my little boy was born September 16th last year. Hope to have some good chats with you all in due course!

Welcome, moominmamma!

DH being a pain here too, must be something in the air. DD is also being a pain today. Where's the wine?!

leelteloo Thu 07-Feb-13 18:30:51

I want wine too but have (tmi alert) a cystitis & thrush combo!!! Nice! And it's not the 'honeymoon' type either, it's the too much booze and dehydration from my birthday weekend type sad
Hi moomin, great to have the group growing.

Moominlandmidwinter Thu 07-Feb-13 19:43:23

Hello everyone, and welcome to lilolils
and moominmamma (great name! smile).

Hope everyone is well. Still no more news on DM regarding TB, although she was going for further tests today. Originally, they sent her an appointment for March, but last week the TB nurse called her and said the appointment was inappropriate, and she had to go today.

So many babies are showing signs of teething. Lola is constantly dribbling and gnawing on everything in sight. I know from my other DDs though that this could go on for weeks before any teeth appear. Regarding weaning, I'm trying to delay it for as long as I can, although she is showing signs of getting ready. Also, DH was eating a banana whilst holding her, and she lurched across and began chomping on it, whilst making happy sounds. She didn't actually swallow any, just had a good old slurp.

Wherearemyshoes-as soon as I've finished breastfeeding, I want to do the 5:2 diet. Think I could manage it easily, as I tend to be an all or nothing kind of person. Have just ordered the 30 Day Shred DVD for now. Am back to pre-preg weight, but was trying to lose a stone when I found out I was pregnant!

LiloLils Thu 07-Feb-13 20:06:37

I bought myself a bottle of yellow tail today which I shall be opening in approx 10 mins once DS has gone down. My favourite wine, can't wait. Just sitting here drinking in the smell of DS which I can't get enough of. Hope he sleeps well tonight. Hope all your babies sleep well and all you lovely mamas too. DH is out for a few beers but I can't complain...he took DS last night which meant I had 9 hours solid and beautiful sleep!

Night all x

Hi LiloLils and Moominmamma.

Sorry to hear of the relationship problems. I can sympathise as having ds and his dad's behaviour after was the catalyst to our ten year relationship breakdown. He simply had no interest and was more concerned with his social life and going out drinking with his mates. Still is to a certain exent but as he only has ds one night a week and refuses to take him anymore nights or away on holiday for a week during the summer, it doesn't put too much a curb on his freedom.

Yep, soon as dd wakes up at night, she's fed. Thankfully only some nights she gets up. I do find it hard to get her back into cot then for some reason, despite the fact she easy enough to lie in her cot when first put into bed. I normally just let her lie beside me then as she's in her growbag so I don't have to worry about her overheating.

Dd weighed today and she's 14lb 11 so following the 50th centile line for her age which I'm happy enough with, considering her appetite has been so up and down with all the colds she caught. I tell you she is tough going at the minute. Never shuts up unless you're paying her attention, has a hell of a temper (takes it after me unfortunately grin ) and barely naps at all during the day. Some days I can't wait until 8pm so I can start to get her ready for bed and get a couple of hours peace!

Bring on tomorrow night as that's my wine night!

ThedementedPenguin Fri 08-Feb-13 12:31:22

Hello lilo and moominmamma

Hope you enjoyed the wine lilo

Glad to hear they changed your Dm's appointment. Good thing someone had there head screwed on. smile hopefully they will give her peace if mind.

I agree with everyone with the DP and DC problems. Oh it's been quite the week. I've been unwell so I do believe its my fault but I'm refusing to believe its my fault.

Herbie flat out refused to sleep in his crib in my room so yesterday my Dp put him down in this own room in his cot, he loved it giggled and smiled. Went down so much better. So we have officially moved him into his own room. Which I don't want to do but we slept so much better last night, usually he wakes loads but other than his night feeds I didn't hear a peep until nearly 9 this morning. So I slept so much better.

Oh ballroom Herbie is the same such a bad tempered wee person. I cannot believe it.

Loopyhasanotherbean Fri 08-Feb-13 20:04:13

Had ds2 weighed yesterday, 22 weeks 1 day and he now weighs 19lb 15oz. So still slap bang between 91st and 98th centile. Did his first roll today, but not sure he realises how he did it, so may be a while before he does it again!

Sorry re all the crappy other halves out there, and hope they redeem themselves next week on Valentines day, not that it should take a special day for them to man up, but here's hoping for you all anyhow!

Not weaned ds2 yet, I view it as an extra hassle at the moment and he is clearly thriving on just breastmilk and so i'm making the most of the last few weeks of minimal poos...he did one last Tuesday and then he didn't do one till today, I much prefer this stage to the stage where they poo several times a day!

ThedementedPenguin Sat 09-Feb-13 22:56:28

With the mention of valentines day.. My Dp bought my gift on eBay and was like don't look. However I am not ashamed to say I did. He has bought me underwear!

I strange looking piece. I am horrified. I know I probably don't wear the nicest of underwear but I find this very creepy. I have no idea how I'm to react in a nice way when he gives it to me.

Sorry if this is TMI but I needed to rant some where.

OTOH we have discussed ttc number 2. I would like an April-July baby. I'm really torn as I want ds to have a wee chum but at the same time i would like some time just with us. My Dp wants us to have another quite quick before Herbie is two. Which means we would have to ttc from July. I'm really not sure what to do I'm so torn. Anyone got an advice re: kids that close in age.

shoeprincess2 Sun 10-Feb-13 19:50:01

Hi Penguin- no advice with regard to your Valentine's gift...However, I have 2 boys close together. Both are September babies- DS1 born 12 September 2010 and DS2 born 6 September 2012, so for 6 days I had 2 under 2. It is incredibly hard work, particularly in the early days when I seemed to be forever boob feeding DS2. My OH had to focus solely on DS1. We are quite lucky in that DS1 will go to bed and sleep through, but then it may take a lot longer to then get DS2 to bed. Both are in nappies, so it can seem like a conveyor belt of nappy changes and you expend so much energy entertaining DS2, there are times when we are utterly exhausted.

But, the payoff is immense. I would not have done it any other way. The tough times will be short lived. There is a small enough gap between them for them to have shared interests when they are older and I can remember quite a lot about DS1, that it came some much easily to me with DS2. DS2 looks on in interest at DS1, and DS1 is happy to be silly around him and make him giggle!

Hope that helps in some kind of way

Oh yes rachel and the worst thing is I can't even blame her temper on her dad's dna as he's so chilled he's horizontal to the point of irritation, whereas I'm a bit of a hothead. Glad you're getting a better night's sleep now Herbie's in his own room. I had ds in his own room by 3 months as he was a snuffler and I'm a light sleeper and it makes all the difference. Would love to have the extra bedroom now to get dd into hers but in the process of looking for a bigger place. Thankfully she's a deeper sleeper and I've learnt to tune out a bit.

Sory but you made me laugh a bit as mens idea of nice underwear and womens are usually drastically different. I can just imagine grin Don't really have any advice with the ttc or that close an age gap from a parent's perspective as there's five years between mine, only that there's only a year and half between my brother and I and we get on great and did most of the time when we were younger. Yep we had our arguments and that but nothing compared to me and my sis with the 8 year age gap.

From the five year perspective it's hard going back to the baby stage again, especially when I had plans of my own to be getting on with that I've had to put on hold or I may have to just give up on completely as I'm getting on in my mid-thirties now smile In another way it's good because ds is quite independent and can occupy himself a lot. He understands when I'm in the middle of feeding her he has to wait. I suppose like everything, it will have it's pro and cons. You just have to weigh up the emotional and financial side and how strong your relationship is.

Wow Loopy that's a really good weight. Dd is so funny with the rolling. She's done the back to front for a while now but the past couple of days has started the front to back. The shock on her face as if to say 'what the hell just happened there?'

shoeprincess2 Mon 11-Feb-13 11:42:07

Ballroom- that is the hardest thing that I have found- DS1 was still very young and when I was feeding DS2, he was constantly asking for my attention. He understands now, as he has developed a lot in the 5 months since DS2 arrive, but it made me feel very torn and very sad (and guilty). At least when there is a bigger gap, the eldest understands a lot more.

I am assuming penguin that the item of underwear is red and lacy, and not much material. Men and women do have completely different ideas when it comes to underwear. At the moment, I'd be thankful for a set that at least matches and hasn't gone baggy smile. Or maybe a nice pair of flannel PJs.

Moominmamma86 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:56:03

Hello again!

My little man has had his first sickness bug over the weekend, fortunately the being sick stage didn't last long but I felt so sorry for him, he just wasn't himself at all and was slumped against me making little noises, I laid him down and he was then out for the count - usually impossible during the day as he fights sleep!
... Since then (a couple of days) we've had oodles of poohs! Lovely! they've gone from greenish in colour to a pale almost lemony colour, most unusual! Gave the health visitor a ring and she didn't seem overly worried, he seems fine in himself now, just has a sore little botty. Any tips on helping the soreness?

Oh poor baby Moominmamma. We use Metanium ointment here and swear by it - it clears up any redness on DD in a flash.

On age gaps - pretty much the opposite to ballroomblitz - in my family the sisters who were two years apart always fought growing up and have a stormy relationship now, whereas my sister and I (11 years apart) are much closer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now