Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

September 2012 babies - warmest welcome!

(997 Posts)
Macaroons Fri 14-Sep-12 21:50:28

Here's the new thread for September babies fresh from the oven!

I'm a first time mum and I'm struggling with breast feeding at the moment, my 6-day old DS always seems to be hungry (a feed every 2-3 hours, each lasting roughly an hour), and when he's hungry he's very aggressive towards my nipple sad it really hurts! Any tips out there? And how often do you feed your baby and for how long?  how do you teach your baby to be gentle on the nipples? envy

Good luck to those still waiting for their babies to come out! Will be watching out for more baby news!

cjbk1 Sat 05-Jan-13 08:42:16

thanks for the support ladies have a nice wknd x

Hope you all had a lovely New Year. New Year, new bad chest for ds and baby B and I are suffering too this time.

I dunno I've stayed away a bit because I feel a bit of a charlaton coming on here talking about our new babies and that when I've spent a lot of my time wishing she wasn't here. I love her to bits but it's such a relentless slog and I must admit I've been struggling for the last 6 weeks or so. She never shuts the hell up during the day and it's hard to listen to, especially when I'm pretty run down myself and ds is up a lot of the night. I did have a appointment with the gp but had to miss it with ds being in hospital and all. I've another one made for a week and a bit away. Then I think, what's the point of the doctor? He might give me some tablets but a lot of it is to do with situation which can't be changed?

Anyway thanks because reading through some posts has made me feel like not the totally bad mum I do for feeling this way.

leelteloo Sun 06-Jan-13 07:40:20

Oh Ballroom, I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. sad Sending you a hug. Don't feel guilt on top of everything else; you have had a lot to deal with. Going to dr is a good plan; my hv was also very helpful to me when I went through a very hard patch when dd was a baby.
Anyway, I hope this thread is for all our experiences, the good, the bad and the everyday, so please don't not post, cause we are all here 4 you.

Moominlandmidwinter Mon 07-Jan-13 21:14:08

Hello all.

Sorry to read that some of you have been having a bit of a tough time. I've been lucky this time, in that I've felt fine since having Lola, but it wasn't the case with DD3. I remember going for a run one day (I became a bit obsessed with getting back to pre-pregnancy weight and took it too far), and a friend of MIL's saw me. She later commented that it didn't just look as though I was running, more like that I was running away! She hit the nail on the head. Despite breaking down in the baby-weighing clinic one day, and the hv gently suggesting that I paid a visit to the GP. I did, but not until eighteen months later, when I had a bit of a mini-breakdown. I feel wracked with guilt now, as I didn't enjoy DD3's babyhood one bit. If only I had accepted help (and the ADs that I needed), I might have been able to enjoy it a bit more.

We had a bit of a crap week last week. I woke up on my birthday to hear DD2 being sick. This carried on all day, and after lunch I was suddenly struck with a fever and aching body. I spent the afternoon in bed. Then Lola obviously wasn't feeling well in the evening, and spent 2 hours screaming (totally unlike her). She was inconsolable. I felt horrendous myself, but couldn't go back to bed, instead I stood in the dining room rocking her in her pram for an hour to get her back to sleep. We're all fine now. I realised how lucky I am today, as I met up with three of the mums from my baby massage class, and one of the mums has a baby who only sleeps for 1.5 hours at night. She's at her wits end. Lola has been very clingy today, but I can deal with that, it just means the housework will have to wait!

meXem Tue 08-Jan-13 14:59:58

I've not been online since beginning of november blush just marking my place so I can attempt to catch up!! shock

meXem Tue 08-Jan-13 15:25:10

oops sorry posted too early, hope everyone had a magical 1st christmas with their little ones and happy new year to all! xx

shoeprincess2 Wed 09-Jan-13 15:35:09

Hi ladies! Hope you are well. Ol is now 4 months old- where did that time go. 12 weeks till I am back at work and then it'll be chaos. Must watch some box sets that I've been meaning to do since last September...

Ol has his 4 month jabs tomorrow at 2.30pm, so I shall have calpol at the ready. This is the one set of jabs that made DS1 grumpy and a bit hot. Just in time for the weekend.

Any New Year's Resolutions anyone? I haven't anything specific, just to eat more fruit and veg and tone up a bit. And stop eating biscuits and chocolate in epic proportions!

I have got all my weaning paraphernalia out (early yes, but trying to get organised). I have forgotten a lot of what I did last time. I remember the boring baby rice to start and then rooty veg first. I have a little list of recipes that I made for DS1 with a comment alongside each of what he liked and disliked. He liked most stuff and still does. He like his grub, does my boy!

Anyway, hope you all have a nice week and for anyone still feeling a little bit blue, come on the thread and let's swap some stories. We're all here for each other.

LylaLils Wed 09-Jan-13 15:48:26

Hello just noticed this thread. My boy was born 12 Sept so thought I'd say a quick hello and watch with interest. I haven't time to read through all the comments now, but I will do tonight when he's feeding. X

leelteloo Wed 09-Jan-13 16:14:16

Hi Lylalis, welcome grin

shoeprincess2 Wed 09-Jan-13 16:17:08

Hi LylaLils- glad you found us. DS1's birthday is 12th September. He is now 2. Hope you are well.

LylaLils Wed 09-Jan-13 16:35:33

Thank you!

Shoeprincess...my boy was planned c section, they first offered me Sept 11th (controversial) but we opted for 12th.

Just noticed there's 29 pages on this thread...! Wish I'd discovered it back in September...feel like I'll never catch up...

shoeprincess2 Wed 09-Jan-13 16:51:50

I was induced on 11th September 2010 and had an EMCS on the 12th. Planned c section this time round on 6th September (though he was actually due on the 12th September!!!)- you can imagine the jokes we had.

Macaroons Thu 10-Jan-13 02:38:10

Welcome lyla!

Shoe - yes time flies! My little one is 4months old too, but still needs a feed or two in the middle of the night, sigh!

There hasn't been a dirty nappy since 31/12. Asked health visitor at baby clinic who said not to worry as DS is breast fed, I can't help but worry! Is this normal? Almost 10 days now... Although he doesn't seem unhappy. Anything I can do to help? Thz.

shoeprincess2 Thu 10-Jan-13 10:16:33

Macaroons- didn't want to read and run on this. Being a fellow breast feeder, I think the longest both mine ever went without a poo was 48 hours. I would be temted to ring the GP about this (unless he has had an explosion this morning). 10 days seems a long time, but then they say that a BF baby rarely gets constipated...

Ol is still up once or twice in the night for a feed, but only a quick 5 minutes. I wonder if I am too quick to whisk him out of cot and feed him. I am so conscious of waking my DP, I tend to get him as soon as he murmurs. We got an 8pm-2am on Monday, so I have decided if anyone annoyingly asks me "if he is sleeping through yet?" I am going to say yes smile

We are more in a predictable routine during the day now. He is up around 9-11am, then naps 11-1. He then has an afternoon nap 2.30-4.00pm and then we start bedtime around 6.30-7.00pm. This coincides with our eldest's bedtime too, so DP and I have to deal with it like a military operation. He is away in a few weeks for a couple of nights, so I am a bit shock about the thought of sorting their bedtimes out. it'll be fine, though I may have to get a glass of red wine at the ready!

Maggietess Thu 10-Jan-13 11:36:52

Shoeprincess, I decided a couple of years ago that everyone who says their lo is sleeping through the night is lying... With 2 children who didn't sleep I absolutely had to believe that for my mental health!! wink DD1 didn't sleep through til she was 15 months and fought every daytime nap like sleep was failure, never going down for more than 25mins. DD2 was better at night but still doing once or twice until she was c6months. And she became a total rascal at age 2, getting up frequently at 5am!!!

I'm now on DS1 and he has been my little sleeping angel.. I turned into one of those smug mums of sleepers that I used to hate... But I justify it since I reckon I deserved a sleeper with my third!! grin

BUT help, he's broken!!! In the last 3 nights hrs gone from going down at 7pm and getting up between 6&7am then taking a 2 hr nap somewhere between 8 and 10, to getting up twice a night and refusing point blank to sleep during the day. This has resulted I long episodes of me pacing him during the day which takes me back to DD1...noooooo we r not going back there!!!

I'm hoping it's just a growth spurt (he's 16weeks) as he is starving too, upping his feeds drastically to about 7oz 6 or 7 or even 8 times a day!!

Anyone ideas or suggestions? I'm also wondering about teething as he is just chewing his fists or my shoulder non stop?

Maggietess Thu 10-Jan-13 11:40:03

Ps on the coinciding bedtime Shoeprincess I sympathise, when DH has been away or working late and ive had all three to get down at the same time it's been like some sort of Olympic challenge and you definitely deserve that glass of red after!!!

shoeprincess2 Thu 10-Jan-13 11:51:47

Maggietess- oh no! The old 4 month sleep regression (growth spurt and teething combined I think). I have no suggestions, as I just seem to bumble through smile. My eldest was exactly like your DS1- no napping, wakefulness at night and a huge appetite. I didn't know how to fix it then, so I think I just rode it out and then started early weaning (5 months old). Something clicked at 7 months (which actually coincided with him moving into his own room) and he started sleeping through 7-7. He has been a brilliant sleeper since then, apart from the odd occasion of getting up at 7am (I am dreading the lighter mornings!) I am sure someone will be along soon with some ideas/ suggestions... I'm rubbish.

Hope he sorts his sleeping out soon. You deserve a full night's sleep.

ThedementedPenguin Thu 10-Jan-13 20:48:25

My goodness there's been a lot going on here.

Firstly I just want to say I'm back and feeling great again. Whatever I was going through past few weeks has gone and I'm back to normal again. well if you can class it normal

Welcome to the new people. It's great to meet some new September mums smile

Herbie goes down between 7-8 pm. Wakes around 11 for a fed then usually sleeps until 5-6 am takes another feed. We usually get up anytime after 8. This has been the routine for a while but you just never know when it will change.

Maggie it does sound like he's going through a growth spurt. Hopefully it won't last long and you'll be back to your long nights sleep. envy

Have you tried any teething gels? We use dentanox (sp?) and it's great. Although smells and tastes rotten.

How much is your ds taking a day Maggie? Herbie is mostly taking 36oz a day now although the other day he only took 23oz. Anyway he's being doing green poos for a couple of days now, I've looked online and it says something about iron levels. I take it this is normal and I shouldn't worry too much?

leelteloo Thu 10-Jan-13 21:20:28

Don't know about the green poo but so happy you're feeling better Rachelpengiun!!! grin

Loopyhasanotherbean Thu 10-Jan-13 21:27:33

Just a quick post but 10 days between poos is fine for breast fed babies. They can't get constipated and they get efficient at digesting the milk around 10 weeks of age so there isn't much waste. But I'd be very paranoid by day 10 onwards as when it happens it will be messy! Ds1 used to go every 6 days, was safely predictable. Ds2 prefers to make life more interesting by being erratic over frequency, can be 2 days on the bounce or 14 days apart....

Macaroons it should be fine, I can't remember how long mine have gone between poos but I know when it's been a while it can make a right old mess!
To help out, you can lie DS on his back and peddle his legs like he's on a bicycle and rub his tummy. Although i cant remeber the direction to rub it.

So glad you're feeling better Penguin I keep having moments when I wonder if I'm alright or feeling depressed. It's this bloody pill, it makes me all PMT-y and turns me into a dragon!

I'm embracing being at home at the mo. Hoping I don't have to go back to work when SMP ends as DP looking into joining the forces.
I've picked up the old crocheting hook and am contributing to a woolly hug. Now I definitely feel like a mum at home!

Sleep isn't too bad here. Could be better but we've had jabs, a growth spurt and possible teething.

No resolutions ShoePrincess just to muddle through this year and see where we end up.

Keep well everyone. It's so nearly spring!

Macaroons Thu 10-Jan-13 21:59:40

DS' poo pattern is erratic too. The week before its once every day or ever other day, the previous week it's once every 3-4 days, its the first time it's come to day 10! did ask health visitor when I need to start to worry, she just said so long as its soft and not pebbly its fine. But the problem is he still hasn't pooed yet!

Tried diluted prune juice this afternoon but nothing happened yet. Will be heading to the office to have lunch with some colleagues tomorrow, hope he's going to do his big job before we head out, or after we are back. Don't really want to deal with explosive nappy when we are out confused

DS is crying. Will be back later to catch up on the thread

Maggietess Fri 11-Jan-13 00:57:32

Hello all, thanks for ur sympathy, it does indeed sound like a growth spurt. DS had his 16 week jabs today and I had a word with the health visitor while I was in.

She reckons he is indeed starving and, if I'm happy (which I am given my experience of eldest starve at the same age) Then to give some baby rice a go. She says if baby has previously been going through the night, cannot be settled in middle of night except with milk, is already on hungry baby formula (my medication prevents me from bf), and has upped bottles to c40-50oz a day it sounds like he's ready for food.

Gave him a spoonful of rice this eve which I have to say went down really well. Just need DH to stop snoring & ill be up for a good night's sleep!!!!!

Maggietess Fri 11-Jan-13 01:02:41

Ps Penguin I have had every colour of poo known to man over the last 5 years and stressed about its consistency and colour and in the end I've realized there is no normal!!! They all poo, don't poo, pee frequently, don't pee frequently, poo green/yellow/grey/brown and hard/soft/middling that whatever u get must be normal!

shoeprincess2 Fri 11-Jan-13 10:47:43

That's great news penguin.

Funnily Maggie, I bought a box of baby rice yesterday. Another month i think before I start, but it's there just in case. Ol had his 4 month jabs yesterday too. He went a bit hot at 6.30pm, so gave him a dose of calpol. He was then on and off the boob until 10pm, asleep till 2am. Quick feed, then asleep till 9am. He seems chirpy enough this morning, so I shall take him to baby massage.

Have a lovely weekend one and all. And good news again penguin- so glad you are feeling better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now