Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2012 babies - warmest welcome!

(997 Posts)
Macaroons Fri 14-Sep-12 21:50:28

Here's the new thread for September babies fresh from the oven!

I'm a first time mum and I'm struggling with breast feeding at the moment, my 6-day old DS always seems to be hungry (a feed every 2-3 hours, each lasting roughly an hour), and when he's hungry he's very aggressive towards my nipple sad it really hurts! Any tips out there? And how often do you feed your baby and for how long?  how do you teach your baby to be gentle on the nipples? envy

Good luck to those still waiting for their babies to come out! Will be watching out for more baby news!

ThedementedPenguin Fri 28-Dec-12 05:33:14

Oh ballroom I hope your ds is better now, your right your dd won't remember so you can make next year great but it doesn't stop your feelings. I do hope your ds is better now or at least a lot better and well on the mend.

wherearemyshoes that sounds like a great idea, although I'm such a home bird when it comes to Christmas that I couldn't leave, I can't even imagine going to my Oh's parents for Christmas, I made him come to my mums as that's the only place it feels like Christmas to me.

We also had a very quiet Christmas but it was great. My mum had Herbie last night so we could go out with friends. By 11 I was so drunk all I wanted was my bed, we left by 12.20 and just curled up on soda with Chinese then I fell asleep smile I regret going out I should have stayed in and had a long nights sleep like I wanted.

Herbie got a Euan the dreamsheep for Christmas, how I survived this long without I have no idea. It is amazing. We put him down any time between 8-10 and now he sleeps through until 5, up for a feed and then sleeps until 8/9. He went nearly 9 hours between feeds there. smile hopefully not be long until I get a full nights sleep. Although I am thinking ill go to bed earlier tomorrow night to get full benefit of it.

Only unexpected thing that happened which I was fully unprepared for was us running out of heating oil just before Christmas. Our house is freezing so we have stayed away as much as possible. Thankfully it is arriving in the morning. I cannot wait.

Away to get some more sleep now smile

Loup23 Fri 28-Dec-12 06:13:09

Just remarking thread so I can catch up during sleepless nights sad baby loup wasp good in the early days and was even doing 8pm - 3am but we're back to 2-3 night feeds again confused am going to read back through the thread in the hope that it isn't just me ( although also hoping that you lovely ladies are getting a food nights sleep)

Hope everyone hd lovely Christmases x

leelteloo Fri 28-Dec-12 13:00:39

Oh ballroom, that sounds like a nightmare. Hope your ds is all better now. So many nasty bugs going round at the moment; my dd is really poorly with a virus.
Rachel, what is Euan the sheep?

ThedementedPenguin Fri 28-Dec-12 18:40:58

It's a sheep that lights up and plays music and a heartbeat for 20 minutes. It's great, plenty of time for Herbie to drift off to sleep. It also plays womb noises. It really is great and its very cuddly like a teddy bear. However i think cheapest I seen it was £23 and postage on top. That was from amazon. smile

He's on the mend thanks. Second time this year he's been admitted to hospital for a few days and more with chest problems yet they still keep telling us he's too young to be dx with asthma angry Honestly looked at all the almost newborn babies in the ward and wanted to cry, having a young un myself at home. At least ds is a bit older.

I have to say in the last three weeks baby b has only got up one night for a feed during the night - normally she sleeps through about 9-11 hours. She does not sleep at all during the day though, if it is it's five minute cat naps. Was weighed at the 75th centile last week so she's a hungry girl during the day and does nothing but feed. No sooner finished than you're starting a feed again.

Loup23 Sat 29-Dec-12 02:26:08

ballroom glad to hear DS is on the mend, poo him and poor you missing DD's Christmas day, let's hope 2013 brings lots of good health for both babies!

rachael/demented we have a euan and whilst DD finds it soothing I've found an app on the iPhone called 'white noise' (currently free) also does the job! She love the sprinkler sound!!

Wishing you all lovely Christmas breaks and a happy 2013 x

Loup23 Sat 29-Dec-12 23:31:00

Poor him not poo him blush blimmin phone....

Macaroons Sun 30-Dec-12 09:17:04

Hope everyone had a good Xmas.

Ballroom - hope your LO will get better soon

I'm so jealous of you whose baby sleeps through the night. Mine's longest scratch is 5 hour and that has only happened once its more like 4 hours on a typical night. It's better than the new born phrase but I was hoping for more sleep myself?shock

cjbk1 Sun 30-Dec-12 09:24:06

Morning all! I got 'sound sleeper' app which was free but then got the paid one so we could set it for more than 30mins, bub seems to like it x

Loup23 Sun 30-Dec-12 23:20:27

macaroons baby loup did 5 hours as a newborn now only ever does 3-4 sad I tell myself I'll miss her when she goes through the night!

I have just done a dream feed and put Euan on, fingers crossed!

Happy new years eve eve to all and babies x

leelteloo Mon 31-Dec-12 20:43:27

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all the September bus families. Hope it is filled with love, laughter and sleep wink

ThedementedPenguin Tue 01-Jan-13 11:35:13

Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone had a good night last night. I did nothing and was tucked into bed before 12. smile

I am exhausted all the time. I haven't felt like this since finding out I was pregnant. I know I'm not, it must be the fact I'm getting no sleep any more. Herbie is up 3+ times every night. And is so clingy all day!

I've basically been alone this past week looking after him and I can't cope anymore. I feel myself getting very angry at him all the time. I'm sick of doing everything by myself.

Need more sleep I think. Hope everyone has had abetted start to their new year smile

leelteloo Tue 01-Jan-13 21:30:27

Oh Rachel penguin, sorry you are having a rubbish week hmm
I hope tonight is a better night for you. Sending u huggggs

shoeprincess2 Wed 02-Jan-13 12:53:05

Happy New Year ladies! Hope you all had a nice Christmas and New Year. thedementedPenguin- hope you are ok and big hugs to you. Hope you have managed to get some more sleep.

I think we have teething in the house. Lots of saliva, fist chewing and little rosy cheeks. Had to dose him on a bit of Calpol last night and he managed to go to sleep without whimpering.

Just waiting for the appointment for his 4 month jabs (it all went awry with Christmas). Hope you are all now enjoying lots of smiles, giggles and coo-ing. He has lost his court jester today, as Thomas is back at nursery sad

Moominlandmidwinter Wed 02-Jan-13 20:01:20

Happy New Year!

We had a very bus

Moominlandmidwinter Wed 02-Jan-13 20:12:00

Sorry, posted way too soon!

We had a very busy Christmas, visiting family, hosting a NYE party etc, and Lola was so good throughout. The party made her unsettled though, it was only family, but due to the noise, she couldn't sleep. I tried to settle her several times, but it just wasn't happening. She finally slept at 3am when BILs family went home.

Rachel/*penguin*, poor you. I've been feeling exhausted the last few days too, whereas I had been feeling great. My first thought was that I hadn't felt this way since pregnancy, but I can't be- I'm still ebf, am on cerazette and haven't had a period yet. Am very broody though- SIL, cousin and DH's cousin are all 8 weeks pregnant. I can't have a 5th though! SIL only decided to have another baby because she fell in love with Lola.

I'm going to be 33 tomorrow. Feel funny about becoming another year older! Had secretly hoped DH would arrange a babysitter and take me out like he usually does, but we're taking the DCs too. It's a nice gesture, but not quite as relaxing as I'd hoped. Have got back to pre-preg weight, and planned to look nice for DH, but might not make as much effort!

ThedementedPenguin Wed 02-Jan-13 21:28:55

Thanks everyone. I have managed to get about more sleep but I'm not feeling any better. sad I can cope for a while but after a few minutes I feel myself getting so angry at Herbie and then at myself, it makes me feel worse as he's just a little baby and can't help it.

I know I'm def not pregnant thank god just after a period and also on cerazette. So I'm not sure. I'm just trying to hold it together.

shoe Herbie has been like that from before week 8. I've noticed his bum is very sore looking, is this also part of teething?

moomin happy birthday for tomorrow, hope you have a nice relaxing day and enjoy your family night.

Lucky you down to your ore pregnancy weight. I was below mine but I'm now way above it. Thankfully I have no scales in this house do I don't know what I weigh. Think I will start walking everyday, it's meant to help lift your mood? Fresh air?

shoeprincess2 Thu 03-Jan-13 16:08:01

thedementedpenguin- yes, a sore bum is another sign of teething. Nappies also smell a bit stronger. It might be worth going to see your GP as you sound quite down. Sometimes just talking things out with a 3rd party can help. Getting out and about everyday helps- the fresh air lifts your mood. I do find that January is quite a tough month, and that is without a young baby to deal with. Hope you are feeling better soon xx

penguin I've been feeling like that too but am scared to face it & go to GP. DH is a great help practically when he's here but not very supportive emotionally so I feel v alone as I have no family in the UK. I have 2 year old DD too but don't drive so getting out of the house is difficult. DS has been poorly since NYE so i've barely been sleeping which is probably the main cause of my blues?

leelteloo Thu 03-Jan-13 18:46:39

Rachel Penguin, I was going to suggest you went to the gp or hv as well. Don't let the down feeling get out of control. It is really really tough looking after a baby on your own but there is support out there. It's not too early to go to playgroups with Herbie, you will meet other new mums and will help with low feelings. I felt exactly the same with my first until about 6 months when I started to go to groups. Wished I had gone sooner. Really really hope you and any of our gang who are struggling feel better soon. Xxxxxx

shoeprincess2 Thu 03-Jan-13 20:23:36

YY to baby groups. They have been an absolute lifeline for me and I have made new friends through it too. But sometimes the down feelings, as Leelteloo says, can spiral, and so I do think you should see a GP if you have feelings of helplessness or hopelessness. Seeing a GP in itself can be a weight lifted. Hope everyone is ok and remember we are all here for each other. I do try and check this thread everyday, during the day, though there are the people who read during the night shifts. No one should ever feel alone. S xx

cjbk1 Fri 04-Jan-13 16:12:43

I made a really silly driving error of judgement a few hours ago and I'm still shaking, there was no skidding or emergency stops or anything I was just really stupid and had baby in the car and I should know better I'm a very bad mummy please don't follow my example

shoeprincess2 Fri 04-Jan-13 16:45:58

cjbk1- hope you are ok. Sit down and have a brew. You are ok and baby is ok. I have been there and it is frightening, but you are all ok, so please do not dwell on it. Everyone makes mistakes- it happens. Please do not be too hard on yourself. Take care xx

ThedementedPenguin Fri 04-Jan-13 20:29:37

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I'm glad to say that I'm feeling a good bit better.

I went out for a few walks, went down town to get some stuff from shops, spent time with my Oh's sister and a new friend to give me a break smile

I tried talking to my Oh about how I was feeling but when I told him I wasn't coping he laughed and make a joke out of it which made me feel worse. I just stopped talking about it. However, it all came to a head the other morning after a terrible night and Herbie wouldn't stop crying and gurning and I just snapped. I'm ashamed to say this but I shouted and quite literally threw his dummy out of the bed (I've lost it), I then left the room. I felt so guilty after but I just couldn't cope. When I went back to bed I burst into tears and just cried for ages. My Oh got Herbie settled and back into his bed and we talked for ages.

I explained how I felt like such a bad person, I couldn't cope with it all, I'm exhausted, feel like I'm sick. After I fell back to sleep and woke up after 11 feeling much more refreshed and I'm better form after just talking about it.

I do usually go out more but I've hardly any cash at the minute and had no petrol and needed the little money I had for formula, so I felt stuck in the house. I have looked up some baby group things and am going to sign up to my local sure start and go to a few group things they have on. It will be Monday before I get to do this but it's something for me to look forward to.

Thanks again everyone for support. And I'm sorry about the essay! smile

Argh, Penguin I'm glad you're feeling a bit better now. It doesn't help when your other half isn't understanding what you're up against. Keep talking, it does help x
I've been feeling really moody lately and DP has definitely noticed. I think it's the pill I'm on as it seems to be a run of low mood then back to normal for a few weeks.
I think I'm coping ok but feel like I am desperate for sleep but when it comes to bedtime I can't get to sleep.

I've been avoiding going out too. I think it's all part of the Christmas gloom and trying to keep out the way of sales nutters.

cjbk1 I know how you feel. I've done the silliest things in the car and really wanted to kick myself. But really, as long as everyone is ok it's only a bit of metal.
Don't beat yourself up. I try to store the feeling to keep my driving in check as I can be careless sometimes. <polishes fresh clean driving licence>

DD is definitely teething. She dribbles constantly and is always chewing her hand, or mine. She still refuses the dummy though. Little bugger.
She melted my heart last night when she'd fallen asleep on my boob and laughed in her sleep. It was just the sweetest thing.

Bring on the spring time I say. A little sunshine would do us good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now