Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2012 babies - warmest welcome!

(997 Posts)
Macaroons Fri 14-Sep-12 21:50:28

Here's the new thread for September babies fresh from the oven!

I'm a first time mum and I'm struggling with breast feeding at the moment, my 6-day old DS always seems to be hungry (a feed every 2-3 hours, each lasting roughly an hour), and when he's hungry he's very aggressive towards my nipple sad it really hurts! Any tips out there? And how often do you feed your baby and for how long?  how do you teach your baby to be gentle on the nipples? envy

Good luck to those still waiting for their babies to come out! Will be watching out for more baby news!

MadMonkeys Fri 16-Nov-12 08:38:29

Rachel i love my moby wrap. It took a few attempts to be happy with getting it on but it id very comfy and dd loves it. She always drops off to sleep in a few mins in it.

Dd has a cough again so we had an unsettled night. So much for bf babies getting fewer colds etc! I've not even weighed myself yet. This is my last baby so i have the rest of my life to get back into shape...

Funny, I was only thinking about this thread yesterday, wondering if I'd be able to find it again.

I've been thinking about trying to get in shape again but I guess there's no real hurry.

Bertie has a cold at the moment but is doing great other than that. We've got the dreaded jabs next week though. Been referred to hospital after 6 week check up as the doctor wasn't sure if there was a heart murmur or not but I'm not overly concerned.

DS1 has taken really well to his baby brother. He's always asking for cuddles & told him the other day 'I'll be nice to you for ever and ever' (if only!)

Rachel130690 Sat 17-Nov-12 15:27:08

I was given a baby bjorn by a friend but I heard that its not good for baby's hips? Not sure if I made that up or what? But I haven't had any need to use it so far.

Re: sling library, I very much doubt these things exist in Northern Ireland, and if they do its prob just in Belfast and nowhere near me sad ah well, I shall just carry on with the pram.

leeletoo I know exactly what you mean, when I got my first period I was constantly thinking about ttc, and when should we have another. So as I was driving myself mad I brought it up with my Oh, it wasn't something we ever discussed before as we were only together 7 months when I found out I was pregnant. So from then I've settled down a bit, thank god.

I hope all the sick babies are getting better now. smile

Smallgreenone Sat 17-Nov-12 18:23:12

Ah helsbels that is soooooo cute about your DS and his baby brother. I do really hope we can have another as I love my brothers and want baby small to have the fun of brothers or sisters.
rachel I had heard the hips thing about baby bjorn too but think it is ok after 3 months. We have a Stokke one that has a special happy hips setting for tiny babies, we took him out for a walk with the dog today, it was lovely and DH loves carrying him about in it.

cjbk1 Mon 19-Nov-12 18:37:11

On helsbels theme; just had An Incident; had given baby a lovely massage, got her ready for bed, came down to get her gro-bag from dryer, ds(age 6) wanted to hold her so I carefully put her in his arms, two mins later, ds is running walking fast with her because MIL wanted to take baby as she'd started crying, he didn't want to relinquish her was very possessive and I was really worried for a moment, I told ds to let MIL take her and he did....he's not normally like this sad

Hello ladies just touching base again after a very long last week of ds being sick and off school. Now not feeling so hot myself and got my first period yesterday which is a bit oww but just keep knocking back the paracetamol.

Baby B is doing well. Has the odd night she sleeps through but more normally just wakes up for one feed. I can cope with that. Definately a lot more alert during the day which can be difficult trying to get stuff done, especially as she's spoilt rotten with being held by everyone and wants it all the time.

Weight wise I'm still a good bit heavier than pre-pregnancy. 9 stone 12 when I started off at 8.9. I was too skinny I think for my height so I'm happy being a bit heavier. What I'm not happy with is all the weight seems to be staying on my thighs.

I never got to term with ds so can anyone tell me you know the way your chest and hips expand when pregnant, do they go back to where they where before eventually? Or can I kiss goodbye to my wardrobe of size 8s?

leelteloo Wed 21-Nov-12 08:01:17

I've got the thigh problem going on Ballroom, horrid sad
Euan and I are, finally after a mammoth two weeks, free from cold. It was nasty!
Grandma been a staying last 2 nites, so had lots of help and feel so much better.
X

shoeprincess2 Wed 21-Nov-12 16:57:09

That's good to hear leelteloo. Another one here with the same hip and thigh issue. My waist is back to what it was, but I now struggle getting my jeans over my thighs and hips. I am still refusing to buy more clothes though. Can't afford it either. Oliver is now more awake during the day. He had a feed at 12.30pm this afternoon and then just fought and fought sleep until it was time for another feed at 3.30pm. He is now sound asleep. However, he'll probably fuss again from 6.30pm until 9.30pm. It's fine when he is awake and playing, but it is the incessant crying that can be wearing. Plus, he is getting heavier now, so it really gives me shoulder ache when carrying him. Next round of jabs next Thursday... eeeek. I'm sure he'll be fine hmm

Ditto regarding the hips and thigh issue! Although I'm happy that some of my old clothes fit now. I was 12st 8lb just before Lola was born, and I was 10 st 6lb a few days ago. I'd be happy to lose another stone.

Ballroom, hope your DS is better now, and you feel ok yourself. leetleloo, glad you and euan are better.

Has anyone got a very clingy baby? Lola wants to be superglued to me at the moment. When anyone else holds her, including DH, she cries after a couple if minutes. Today I have literally had to feed her every half an hour to an hour since I got up. She Will feed for a couple of minutes then drop off. She then wakes up as soon as she's put down, pretty much. I have a sore throat, and am thinking she might have too, and is feeding frequently to soothe it.

Injections tomorrow! I am dreading it.

Strange that everyone seems to be having the thigh problem. I'm also refusing to buy more clothes shoeprincess , although I am starting to tire of still wearing my maternity jeans blush with the waist turned down.

Glad you and Euan are feeling better now leelteloo .Make the most of grandma grin

Ds is good now thanks Moomin . Just his usual run of bad chests now winter time has kicked in. Side effect of being a premature baby I think. Had to be persistant with my surgery to get him the flu jab for the first time this year but finally got the call today he will get it next week. A cold that went into his chest put him in hospital at the start of the year so I dread to think what would happen if he got the flu.

That's very weird I was thinking the same myself today. My throat has been red raw the last couple of days and Beth seems to be feeding a lot today. Slowly and a little bit at a time but as soon as I put her down she's hunting for more. I'd wondered if maybe she had a sore throat too as liquids are the only thing that is soothing mine. Hope Lola's injections go ok for you.

Rachel130690 Wed 21-Nov-12 23:38:42

Hope the jabs go okay tomorrow shoeprincess I'm dreading Herbie's next set.

Glad you and your Lo has got over the cold leeletoo and hope everyone else gets off lightly incase this is the start of them.

We have had a very quiet week so far. I'm trying my best to get Herbie to bed at a reasonable time. Up til now he is usually awake until 11 and then I decide to go to bed and he fights me for the next half hour to an hour to go to sleep. Meaning I'm up longer than I want to be.

Tonight I got Herbie down between half 9-10. He took 8oz of the hungrier baby milk so hoping he sleeps longer tonight. He usually has his last feed after 9pm and then goes until half 3. So hoping he will do a wee but longer tonight as I'm no sooner in bed til I'm up again. Been completely shattered this past few days.

Yes to thighs being a problem area, I have two pairs if jeans that fit me. And one is a really ugly pair sad but I wear them anyways. Also my stomach is a lot baggyer (sp?) so I look crap in everything. Have been invited out on Sat night but as I don't fit any skirts and my stomach hangs in my dressed I cannot go. It's annoying that I weigh less now but nothing fits anymore sad

I have a very clingy baby, I've got him spoilt but I don't care. Went out to cinema last night with my mum and sisters, my Oh was looking after Herbie and he said he spent the whole night watching the door waiting for me. When I walked into house he gave me a massive smile which melts my heart. So I'm glad he misses me as well, makes me feel like I'm completely needed and loved by him.

I feel like I've wrote a book, maybe shouldn't leave it so long to write again.

Good news here. DD had her ultrasound and the hip joint is now fine. A report is going off to the GP and that's the end if it. Phew!
Had my GP check and she put me on the pill for now until I decide on something a bit longer term. I'm on the POP so hopefully will give me an idea as to whether the implant will suit me <hopeful>
Rachel, I wear support underwear if I'm leaving the house (over my knickers for some reason) and I find it really helps with making me feel better about my baggy tummy skin. It also helps my old jeans fit better. It stops them falling down. I've even had compliments on how trim I'm looking. Might be an idea to get some for under a dress. Matalan do good ones and they're only £6 a pair (I don't know if you have them in NI? ) They're like normal knickers at the legs, rather than shorts and come right up high, keep your bits warm!
I like that they're really tight and rigid, probably helping with posture too.

Oh, and DD slept for nine hours the other night, 9pm to 6am. My boobs killed, but the sleep was well worth it.
She made up for it last night though and woke every two hours! Minx!

How did Herbie get on last night Rachel? 8oz of hungry baby stuff sounds like it should knock him out. I know what you mean about the stomach. It's like all the skin that stretched is still there. I've a thing to go to this weekend and have a dressy skirt I've barely worn that was big on me. It's very tight round the tummy - and I was able to fit in it comfortably 2 weeks after having ds.

I'm either getting 5 hours of broken or unbroken sleep depending on whether baby b wakes up at 3ish or 5ish. It would be ok if I didn't have to get ds up to ready for school at 7am. By the time he's out the door, she's had another nap and is raring to go again. As for napping throughout the day, that seems to be a thing of the past unless we are out and about in the pram. She loves to nap on me but as soon as I put her down she wakes up. If she does settle in her basket it's for 20mins tops. The exhaustion is hanging out of me. My periods normally do knock me a bit for six but this one is heavy and really draining me, on top of a cold. Oh woe is me smile

X-post. Fantastic news about dd's hip wherearemyshoes

Loup23 Thu 22-Nov-12 23:55:12

9-6 where envy great news re hips too!

leelteloo Fri 23-Nov-12 00:55:39

Hope you feel better soon Ballroom.

Loopyhasanotherbean Fri 23-Nov-12 10:12:01

DS2 11 weeks old now, and slept 8hrs tues night, 8hr 30 wed night, and last night i put him into crib at 10.06pm and he slept till 7.15am and after a change and feed he self settled back to sleep again, and is only just starting to stir, can hear him doing his pre wake up farts smile shame we also have a DS1 who was awake at 6am...and even though DS1 has been having his morning nap since 9am, i've not been able to rest as it's DP's birthday and i've baked a secret birthday cake for him. Just need to find time to layer it and decorate it before tonight, but to do what i'm imagining in my head, i need to head to the shops for some matchmakers and some dark chocolate to make a ganache...i miss the days where i could just pop to the shops....if i'd had the right things here i'd have been able to decorate it by now, but instead i'm sat mumsnetting now as both boys are asleep so i can't go anywhere, then when they wake up it will be nigh on impossible to decorate it!!!

CluelessMama Fri 23-Nov-12 13:54:20

Good news on the sleep front Loopy, makes such a difference if everyone has had a decent snooze. Your cake sounds amazing!
Been catching up a bit of the thread, funny looking back at how the worries have changed from first days at home to babies 2/3 months old now. Lots of bugs around, hope everyone is keeping well or on the mend. So many of you already thinking about getting back into shape. I'm struggling to contemplate that, wee one is 7 1/2 weeks and I'm still sore from delivery so not even managing many walks with pram. Can't figure out if this is the same for everyone and I should just take pills and be patient? Or if it's taking longer to recover as I had 3rd degree tear but it will be fine in time? Or if I'm doing too much, lifting wee one etc? Or if somethings not right? Loving motherhood but frustrated to still be feeling sore!

Rachel130690 Fri 23-Nov-12 22:26:55

Shoes that's great news, glad your Lo is okay and doesn't need any further checkups re hips. Also I shall be heading to Matalan to check out those pants. It might make me feel better and not cancel anymore nights out smile as I want to invite some old friends out as I miss them so much.

ballroom unfortunately it made no difference that night, he still woke up at half 3 looking a bottle but only took 3oz of that milk so was up again after 6 for more sad got even less sleep that night. So I'm back on number 1 milk and just going to continue with it for a while.

Loopy I am major envy about all the sleep you have been getting. I would be happy with one night of sleep. Just to keep me going. Although I do still love my night time cuddles I get. I think Herbie loves them too as he cuddles right in as close as he can get so I would miss them.

Was at physio on Thursday, I have been signed off as she is very happy with the way things are going, my stomach split has decreased by a finger size, so she gave me a few more exercises to do but says she doesn't need to see me again. Didn't think it would of been as good as I was very bad at doing my exercises, didn't get time to.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend smile

Rachel130690 Fri 23-Nov-12 22:30:34

clueless not sure about your recovery, maybe the 3rd degree tear is slowly healing which makes you feel sore. 7 weeks seems like a long time ago to me, so I can't really remember. Although I was sore for a long time but I did fall somewhere between week 2/3 and it hurt for ages.

Would you say you do a lot with your Lo?

CluelessMama Sat 24-Nov-12 11:30:55

Don't think I am particularly doing a lot Rachel, haven't had pram out for a week cos I wondered if walking with it maybe wasn't helping but that means taking the car and lifting LO in his carseat most days. When he's upset he likes to be walked and cuddled which is the biggest demand on my body but I can't stop doing that for him! Think I'll try to get to GP at the start of the week for advice. Fab news about your tummy muscles!!
Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Fab news shoes! You too about your muscle split Rachel.

Not had a good few days, Lola has been ill since she had her jabs on Thursday. She'd had a few snuffles for about a week, but no temp so we went ahead with the jabs. That night, her temperature went up, and her cold suddenly got a lot worse. She's obviously been feeling horrible, has been irritable, not wanting to feed much, and been waking up in the night much more. She's seemed a bit better today, so I'm going to take her to baby massage tomorrow. The health visiting team run a 4 week course free of charge.

How did dp's birthday go loopy ? Your cake sounds awesome (think I've been spending too much time with my five yo coming out with words like that)I miss even having the time to bake. Luckily my mum is just round the corner and quite frequently drops me round cakes.

Clueless I would ask the gp about that. I had dd 1st Oct and although I noticed with my first period I was sore with my bits like after having her, on the whole I'm grand. I didn't have any tearing at all with her, just lacerations were she came out with her hands at her face, but remember after ds my cs scar wasn't sore come my 8 week check. It sounds like it's gone on a long time for you. God love you as it was agony for me for the first couple of weeks.

Brilliant news about the stomach muscles Rachel, although not so good about the sleeping. My sis bought me hungry baby stuff as she sees people buying it all the time in her work, so it's stashed for a few months down the line.

How is Lola now Moomin ? Bethany has her first injections this Friday.. her big bro has his flu jab Wednesday too. My local sure start has all those sort of classes too. I can't wait for the next baby massage to start to take her to as I never got the chance to do it with ds.

I feel like running into the thread with my tshirt on my head to say... 9 hours! Kerenza slept for 9 hours straight last night! I feel like a new woman grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now