Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sept 2008 - no witty title as we're too busy dealing with stroppy 3 yr olds.

(1000 Posts)

Hello all. Couldn't see a new thread so thought I'd do the honours. Sorry for rubbish title, I'm no good at witty! smile

Badvoc Wed 02-Jan-13 10:14:52

Sooo...have just booked my place in an OU course starting in 4 weeks to re start my degree! <wibble>
And am waiting for a call back form a farm in Northumberland for our summer hols this year!
Am on a mission today!.......

Meglet Wed 02-Jan-13 22:24:25

Well done badvoc! "Feel the fear and do it anyway" <<channels inner hippy>>. My next (short) OU course starts in March.

I'm a bit excited about 2013 as DD starts school in 9 months. Can't come soon enough, that girl needs serious structure and education before I go mad!

Badvoc Thu 03-Jan-13 08:55:31

Thanks smile I know what you mean meg...Toby starts in August.
But.
Tom also starts middle school at the same time....argh. Plan to spend sept off my face on prescription meds...it's the only way I will get through it smile
Toby missed the last week of pre school prior to Xmas due to being ill and is desperate to go back! Dont start back till tuesday here though sad
In one way an really looking forward to him a starting school but in the other am obv very anxious after what happened with Tom.
Sigh.
Will struggle with OU assignments during the summer months but that can't be helped.
Have told dh he will have to have 2 weeks off this summer...he had never had 2 weeks off work!! About time I say.
Which shirt course are you doing? I did the Leonard's da Vinci one which I loved and the understanding young children one. Started the Shakespeare one, but then got pg with Toby and felt like road kill for weeks and weeks so didn't finish that one.
Good luck x

Debs75 Fri 04-Jan-13 09:25:38

Happy New Year everyone hope you all had a good time, we as usual just watched tv with dd1 then finally crawled to bed after all the fireworks had finished.

Had a crappy 2013 so far. Best friends mum died on the 21st Dec so it was her funeral on the 2nd. It was so emotional I went through a whole pack of tissues. Will miss her loads as she was a brilliant mum to everyone she met. I think I will have to make a resolution like Carries and make a huge effort to get to see bf more. Especially as she is starting fertility treatment which is really exciting.

Robyn's spots are clearing up and have all either scabbed or even faded away. No-one else has them either so fingers crossed we are all immune

Happy New Year everyone - sorry it's been so long.

Anyone made any resolutions? I haven't written any down but I am on the 30 day Shred Thread, also want to be less stressed (don't we all!) and spend less....

Badvoc the OU course sounds good. I've started my masters this year, altough I'm exempt from the first part so haven't had to do much yet thank goodness

Sorry to hear about all the illnesses. We've had the usual coughs and colds but nothing too bad.

Meglet Fri 04-Jan-13 22:57:42

badvoc I'm doing 'Starting with Law'. Over the next 3/4 years I'm planning to work through the (very) basics in law / business studies / accounting and medicine. It will help me at work even though I daresay I will always do admin, but it may also help me push the DC's into a decent career grin.

Shakespeare and Da Vinci courses sound good, I don't know anywhere near enough about Shakespeare blush.

Glad to know Robyn is on the mend Debs.

Badvoc Sat 05-Jan-13 10:00:21

Got all my stuff from OU yesterday...exciting but very worrying!
Lots to do...8 assignments in all.
Blimey.
Starting to panic slightly and thinking I can't so it but I have to just try my best.
Good luck with the course meg and the masters ninja.
X

Having a real dilema about which school to send DD2 to, my latest thread is here

Any thoughts?

I know it's really not a huge problem in the scale of things and part of me thinks it'd make life so much easier if I sent her to the same school as her sister. Having been a governor tho' (I resigned) I know how difficult (although financially excellent) the head can be. 3 of my frineds have moved ther kids away for various reasons (all which could have been solved with better/moer sympathetic communication).

I thougt before, that M would thrive anywhere are she was so confident and sociable, but she seems to have lost some of that confidence sad

Badvoc, if you can navigate the SN system to your satisfaction you can get a PhD imo.

Badvoc Mon 07-Jan-13 14:06:04

Star smile thank you. Just got all my set texts etc..."The burial at thebes" by seamus heaney anyone!? smile
Ds1 doing really well atm but with a move to middle school in sept who knows? Toby starts reception at the same time so I pre warn you all! - lots of tearful posts and rants from me to come! smile
Ninja...all I can say is go with your gut instinct. I didn't and bitterly regret it. I also think its true not all children will flourish at the same school.
Good luck x

I'm struggliing with the school choice thing too. DS is at a special school, so in admin terms, dd is the first born and baby ds as a sibling will get a place based on her allocation. She's a Sept girl (As you all know) but he is a June boy.

We have a choice of super-competitive crazy league-table results school with strong HT who 'NEVER authorises absences' amongst other absolute statements (which is probably most people's dream, until you enter the SN world are realise just how much bollocks and inflexibility there is in so called excellent schools) or a more relaxed school that has less, but still excellent competiveness or results but with an unknown HT (starts today) who might well be crap.

Good luck to all those starting new courses etc. I am hoping to start a Masters in September but not sure if it is possible logistically as I actually have to attend. I did my undergraduate with the OU (I also attended a brick university before that) and it was the best thing ever, although imo, harder than onsite courses, but better taught.

Meglet Mon 07-Jan-13 14:43:50

bookmarking.

Badvoc Mon 07-Jan-13 14:44:32

I have done some shirt courses with the OU before Toby was born and loved them, but his is more work and looks a lot harder! I like the ou texts and resources..very impressive.
Wow, star! A masters!? What in?
I am totally unsure what I want to do...I would love to be a Senco or sen teacher but not sure if I am clever enough! smile
I would like to help kids and adults with literacy issues inc dyslexia, I have lots if experience of that, sadly sad
Any tips on OU study gratefully received star! X

'What in?'

I reckon you could guess.

'Any tips on OU study gratefully received star'

Just do it. That's the hardest part. Little and often rather than put it off until a Sunday and attempt a marathon. And don't try to be clever, just do what needs to be done to get the marks iyswim. The extra reading it great but concentrate on the core texts for the majority of your essays.

Badvoc Mon 07-Jan-13 15:10:17

Oh. Yeah. Of course. <slaps forehead> smile
Great idea.
You will be ace.
Hmm...I was wondering about the whole module books...the first assignment only refers to 2 of the module subjects, not all 5...would it be bad to just concentrate in the set texts and parts of the module that refers to them?
I would read all of it, of course, but not necessarily make detailed notes etc...

Yes, that's exactly how to do it.

My best results always came from courses I was less interested in, because I did the bare, but essential minimum, so my essays were always centered around the key points instead of waffling on about whatever it was that was exciting me about the subject that I had read more widely on iyswim.

Badvoc Mon 07-Jan-13 15:40:58

Yes I see.
I didnt see the point in taking loads of notes in cezanne when the question is about cleopatra and dr Faustus!
That makes me feel better actually!
So much stuff to wade through, nice to know I can sort of cherry pick what I need and ignore/skim what I don't need!l
Thanks x

Badvoc Mon 07-Jan-13 15:42:31

And I am also a waffler so need to reign that in a bit smile

Meglet Wed 09-Jan-13 21:54:44

Agree with little and often for OU work. Just sit down whenever and aim to do 10 mins, you'll most likely (if the kids ae in bed) do 30+ and start to get stuck in.

I've taken the book to read during swimming lessons, work lunch breaks etc. It all helps to keep things ticking over.

notcitrus Thu 10-Jan-13 16:39:41

Hallo again. Just had architect round and agreed to have him mastermind knocking down the back of our house... Mid-2013 will be both exciting and terrifying!

Dd starts nursery sessions next week, and then I go back to work, at which point they may actually agree who I work for and what I should do. Trying to relax as they have to pay me no matter what.

Was feeling like crap mum as failed to sort out stuff to apply for 2 of the schools I've put on A's form. But they were 5th and 6th choice so hopefully won't be an issue...

There is absolutely no point here in applying for more than 2 schools. They are ALL oversubscribed in our LA. The LA bank on those without places going private and the remainder they shove together in a temporary bulge class somewhere, anywhere.

Badvoc Thu 10-Jan-13 17:01:46

I have only out one school on Toby's form and its not our catchment school.
But it our church school, and other family members go there.

Debs75 Fri 11-Jan-13 20:53:41

Badvoc we have only put down 2 of the 4 most local schools. The nearest and I think the catchment school is dire so if she gets that one we will be home schooling until we get her in a decent one

This thread is not accepting new messages.