Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for new parents (and parents-to-be) to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Sept 2008 - no witty title as we're too busy dealing with stroppy 3 yr olds.

(1000 Posts)

Hello all. Couldn't see a new thread so thought I'd do the honours. Sorry for rubbish title, I'm no good at witty! smile

Kagey Wed 05-Dec-12 14:32:05

Staying at home this year, and although we moved in 2009, with unpacking and the extension, it'll be our first smile. PILs may come, but if not, it'll just be us 4.

I've dd1's school application, but out of interest is the preferences change for all local authorities? We come under one of the London boroughs. Dh and I had lots of 'heated discussions' over school choices and we only put down 2 choices in the end.

notcitrus Thu 06-Dec-12 14:20:03

What preferences change, Kagey? London is the same as the rest of England I think - schools can't tell or discriminate against you if you don't put their school as first preference, so you can safely put 4 great schools you're unlikely to get into, followed by the 2 OK schools you should get into, and it won't reduce your chance of getting into the last two.

Friend down the road and I have agreed which order to put the two local schools in, and I filled up my form with the next 4 easiest schools to get to, just in case a new housing estate opens somewhere and shifts the last admission distance of all the othe schools sideways. Hopefully A and friend will get into the same school and we can share the school run a bit.

Kagey Thu 06-Dec-12 22:50:53

Thanks NC, that's good to know. There are a few good primaries local to us, but I really want Erin to go to her nearest which is 0.2 miles away. DH preferred a school 1 mile away but generally you have to live within 0.6 of a mile to be accepted. Oh well it's all done now smile.

Kagey Thu 06-Dec-12 22:52:29

I should have added I put our nearest as 1st preference, so fingers crossed for April!

Its time to teach DD double entry book-keeping...we went back to the enuresis clinic this morning and they've come up with a new behaviour-modification strategy for her toiletting as star charts don't work for her.
So she'll earn points each day for finishing drinks/taking herself off to get changed after an accident/staying dry etc, then she has a variety of rewards that cost different numbers of points, so at 10 points for example, she can choose to have a treat like eating popcorn while watching tv, or keep saving up to 20 points which is having ice cream for pudding.
A good thing about this system is that even if she has an accident, she is motivated to go and get changed rather than stay wet. Lets hope it works...!

Badvocsanta Fri 07-Dec-12 19:28:23

Sorry haven't read all the posts, hope the hearing test went well NC and that mediation wasn't too awful ninja?
Hope the new idea works well carrie. Star charts have never worked for my two...I remember trying one with Tom when he was about 3 and when I explained it to him he gave me a look of total disgust and bemusement smile
I sort of saw his point.
Toby will happily do most things for chocolate smile
Seems ages since I have posted....very busy couple of weeks coming up as I am sure is the same for lots of you...school plays, church etc...
We are planning to be at home this year for Xmas.
Pils on Boxing Day.
Will try and see my nephews before they leave in their hols on 30th.
That's about it really smile
Health is still rubbish sad Toby still coughing - 4 weeks now sad Tom tired out as its nearing end of term. Dh just back form yet another trip but he isn't going away again before Xmas, thank god.
Hope you are all well x

Meglet England Fri 07-Dec-12 22:30:38

Star charts never worked for us either. The kids just give me a "you think I'm impressed with a poxy star sticker" type look. We had a couple of weeks success with pasta pots, but even that was hard going the second week, and dismissed by the third.

However I have recently discovered they are motivated by money. Luckily for me, their idea of MEGA BUCKS is 1p, 2p or 5p grin. Much cheaper (and less cluttered) than comics or even Lego minifigures.

Debs75 Sat 08-Dec-12 23:04:39

Star charts not used here either. DD1 had a similar system as Carries when she was 7-9. Her main treat was horseriding and if she was dry 20 nights a month she got to go. If she was dry a full week she got a different treat. It meant that she could fail her weekly treat but still earn the big treat. bedwetting can be a horrendous habit to get them out of but they get there in the end.

Just been th Cinderella on Ice with all 3 dd's. It was a great show but I had to leave at half time with Lucy as she was a complete nightmare. She wouldn't sit still, she wanted to jump down the stairs, she screamed at everyone. Even chocolate didn't keep her happy. Luckily the rink is only 5 mins drive away so i sped her home and gor back 10 mins into the 2nd half. Robyn was a total star watching the performance and now wants ice skating lessons.

Bookmarking

Meglet England Mon 10-Dec-12 22:16:36

bookmarking.

No, I haven't told my family I want to spend Xmas on our own this year yet <<wimp>>. I vaguely asked DS if he had a preference (without letting on) and 'bigged' up my stepmums house saying other people will be there, but he said he would like to spend the day at home.

Badvocsanta Tue 11-Dec-12 19:38:57

Bookmarking

badvoc its only 12 days to go now...!

Today I have blubbed through DD's nativity, spent two hours with a double glazing surveyor, had an emergency dash to carphone warehouse when my mobile stopped working, been to the most surreal school christmas fair, and ferried DD and her chums around for the Rainbows Christmas party! Then mum produced Hotel Chocolat rum truffles grin

Only two nights til DH is back, wine and brew will get me through!

Badvocsanta Fri 14-Dec-12 07:51:36

Carrie...I know....squeee! smile
Wow, you are busy! Didn't know dh was away ATM..my dh was away last week but isn't going away again til January now, thank goodness.
Next week is a bit full on for me...church stuff..school plays x 2, family stuff, school parties x 2....sigh.
Toby is a king in his play smile he wanted to be a fairy but when his key worker showed him the bling the king got to wear he changed his mind smile
He does love the bling bless him smile
Also doing Sunday school in Sunday and have a Sunday school Xmas par to sort out!...
Car failed its MOT yesterday sad needs new brake pads. Conservatory roof is leaking again sad oh well.
Toby still not in top form but seems better than he was.
Ds1 just very tired. End of termitis I think.
Will be glad when they break up next week tbh. Lots of mooching about in pjs coming up smile

meglet have you told the family your christmas preferences yet...?!

I worked out how to not blub through DS1's first nativity today. I just didn't engage with away in a manger. Didn't look at DS1 and def did not try and sing along. Eyes were moist but not overflowing ;)

DH back tomorrow, woop woop!

Meglet England Sat 15-Dec-12 13:36:29

carrie no blush. I'm a ball of stress and anguish over it.

LOL at not engaging with 'Away in a manger'. It's lethal isn't it.

badvoc we plan lots of mooching over Xmas. I was going to take the DC's to a nice Living Rainforest place (nr Newbury, v.good if anyone is local) at some point (it's warm and undercover) but apart from that we won't do anything big.

Badvocsanta Sat 15-Dec-12 13:52:30

My mum was rushed to hospital last night - just got back from visiting her.
They don't know whats wrong but she has an infection somewhere and is on oxygen sad
Meglet...wrt Xmas. Just don't go. Life is too short. I don't normally advocate lying but cases like this a case of a non emergency illness could crop up at the last minute? Yes?
Am knackered. Was in a and e with mum til 10pm last night and didn't sleep well.
Hope you are all ok x

Debs75 Sat 15-Dec-12 14:14:44

Carrie Away in a manger gets me as well.

Meglet Yes to Badvoc's suggestion. Life is too short to have another Christmas you won't enjoy. Are they still asking you when you are turning up or do they just assume you will go?

Badvoc I hope your mum will be ok soon.

I had my works Christmas night out last night. It was good but I only stayed just over 2 hours. My lift was on call and didn't want to stay out late and I am still recovering from Robyn's cold so it was just long enough for me. If I had stayed I wouldn't be home till gone 2am. They managed to get kicked out og the club and then went on to a karaoke bar till the wee hours. Can't wait till next year

Meglet England Sat 15-Dec-12 14:51:54

badvoc Your poor mum. I hope she is better very soon.

I can't really fake an illness as my stepmum is local, I'm just going to have to man-up and say we'd rather be at home this year. When I did mention I'd rather stay at home she came up with desperate attempts to get us to go to her house as normal (she'd pick us up, we only had to stay for Xmas dinner etc) <<sigh>. Breaking 20yrs of tradition / habit isn't much fun!

debs75 Are you studying now?

Badvocsanta Sat 15-Dec-12 15:58:31

Thanks meg.
I Sort of had this with my mil a few years ago....The boys wanted to stay at home and so did I.
So I told her with lots if notice that is what would be happening.
She didn't like it.
But they came on Xmas morning to see the boys, I made breakfast, we exchanged gifts and then they went off to church and it was lovely.
The sky didn't fall and the world continued to turn smile
You have to out yourself and your kids first. No one else will.
I hope you have a wonderful Xmas at home this year x

Debs75 Sun 16-Dec-12 10:49:52

Meglet I've just finished my Doula training and am 1 term in my Access course, only another 5 to go.

Robyn is still poorly. she is lethargic during the day then by evening she is burning up and overnight she is boiling and coughing. She wakes up most nights coughing and last night she threw up her water all over our bed. I think it was all the coughing that made her sick. She looks fine now, just a bit snotty. Thing is she looked like that on Friday and Saturday. She is having calpol and ibruprofen to keep the temp down but I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Badvocsanta Sun 16-Dec-12 13:49:24

Debs - wish I knew.
Toby has been like that for weeks.
Was so worried last night took him to ooh go and she sent him to hospital for chest x ray but it was clear, so we are no further on.
Things we have done:
Seem antihistamine before bed.
Raising head of bed.
Humidifier in room
Didn't help last night tout has helped on previous nights...

Kagey Sun 16-Dec-12 22:44:30

debs my uncle's little boy was this last week, and they took him to the GP as he wasn't shifting it (high temp, then normal during the day) and it was a chest infection. It might be worth a quick visit to the GP?

Dd2 had a lurgy 2 weeks ago but luckily was only poorly with a high temp for one day.

Dd1 had her nativity play this week and she was a snowman - I'm a big wimp and sniffed throughout their class song smile.

Badvoc I hope your mum is better sad.

Kagey Sun 16-Dec-12 22:45:19

Aagh I should proof read - was like this, that should read blush,

Badvocsanta Mon 17-Dec-12 03:32:35

Think Toby has whooping cough....sad

notcitrus Mon 17-Dec-12 06:21:42

Sympathy badvoc.
meglet - tell your mum you're staying home, apply stuck record technique, and rnjoy it.

A and dd both have nasty coughs and colds, first time A has been properly ill in 20 months, but fairly sure its nothing too serious.

This thread is not accepting new messages.