Would you like to be a member of our research pane? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2010 - They've Got The Walking Down Pat, Now It's Chat Chat Chat

(753 Posts)
NoHunIntended Sun 01-Jan-12 22:45:58

Hello, October Mamas!
Make yourselves comfortable.

Yes, the hampers are such amazing ideas! I am doing a small box on the first, too, to start off advent, to include:
Festive socks for all of us
Festive teeshirt for DS
Hot chocolate for the month
A couple of festive books - colouring, stickers etc.
Sparkly Christmas-scented bubble bath.
And we are doing elf on the shelf, so he will arrive with the box.

I have discovered soy candles don't cope so well in the advent candle shape (i.e. tall) so I am sourcing some nice vegan tee lights, scented with Xmas scents, and will use them in the pretty Xmas tea light holder we bought last year. Maybe I will make some sort of advent candle next year, but making your own candles has an expensive initial outlay, and I've spent enough this year, and I think DS will be a better age next year to enjoy making candles.

That's the idea! It may seem like a lot to people who do one gift, but stuff like 'something to wear' can be something you'd have to get a growing child anyway (DS is also getting boots!), and we like to surround him with books too.

SpectresandSpooks Sun 25-Nov-12 15:08:47

Sounds fantastic. I love the idea of the advent box too, but don't think I will put myself under that pressure this year, what with a house move the week after next!

Good idea with the tea lights. You could always stack them advent style....

Thanks. smile I am excited to do it. I found a cardboard box last night, all the stuff fits in nicely (though still waiting on DS's socks to arrive), so I need to wrap the box in festive wrapping paper, and then I am done.
I contacted a seller on Etsy about some nice festive-fragranced tea light candles, but three days on, no response. So maybe not candles this year!!! I like the stacking idea!

Oodthunkit Mon 26-Nov-12 18:00:13

Xmas name time already ? grin

<twirls> Yes! I was going to wait til the first, but the excited got to me! grin

Oodthunkit Mon 26-Nov-12 19:46:30

I need one.

OodKingWenceslas?

SpectresandSpooks Mon 26-Nov-12 20:39:39

Ooh, I like that!

Oodthunkit Mon 26-Nov-12 20:41:45

I thought of something like that but couldn't spell Wenceslas blush

smile

Hello all. Spooks I hope everything's ok with your DD. You lot are all very organised for Christmas, I must say. I'm just starting to think about what DS may get for his main present - he has no shortage of ideas, trust me! I feel a bit bad because apart from the balance bike, I have absolutely no idea for dd and not much inclination to get much for either of them as we already have sooo many toys in the playroom that it's a heap the whole time. This was not how I planned it.

Having said that, can someone explain more fully what this Christmas Eve hamper idea is exactly? Is it supposed to be things for you to wear/eat/leave for Santa?

Hi, floozie, nice to see you!

Clothes for DD? Books? Puzzles?

Christmas Eve Hamper, yeah, whatever you want, really.
Some people put in stuff for the reindeer, like glittery oats! Some people prefer that making glittery oats is an activity you can do with the children in the run up.
Can include, for example:
A new Christmas book (e.g. The Night Before Christmas)
Pajamas for an extra good night's sleep (and clean, unscruffy photos on Christmas morning)
Special hot chocolate, including extras, like marshmallows or fudge
A bath bomb, for a nice relaxing bath to aid sleep
A new Christmas DVD and popcorn

I'd welcome any other ideas! smile

SpectresandSpooks Wed 28-Nov-12 19:28:12

Hiya, DD's hip on the left lacks the complete curve of the top that holds the femur ball joint in place. The consultant thinks its borderline ok and has recommended another x-ray in 18 months. She said DD wouldn't need a hip replacement in childhood or early adulthood. I left with the impression that she might need one in her 40s. I'm not content with this and think these things should and can be sorted now. I am going to get a second opinion but am hoping my fears are incorrect.

Loving the sparkly oats idea. smile

Oodthunkit Wed 28-Nov-12 20:24:59

Glad you got your results though even if it's a bit vague.

How stressful, Spooks. Good idea re the second opinion.
Is she walking ok and everything - I mean, is it noticeable that she has a poorly hip?

SpectresandSpooks Wed 28-Nov-12 22:02:46

She's walking fine. There have been a few occasions in the last few weeks that she seemed to be limping and twisting her knee in, but the physical exam did not reveal any reason for this and of course, the x-ray only shows bone really and not tight tendons etc. on the whole she does walk ok, but when I observe other toddlers, they tend to move as if articulated from the waist and throw themselves about, she runs very straight and much more adult like and is much more physically cautious. She can do stuff, but she seems wary of hurting herself, which I think is quite unusual for a toddler. As a result, she's quite adept at fine motor stuff if that makes sense as she's compensated into other skills. She also sits differently but in the same way as me. She's never sat with her soles of her feet facing each other in that bendy limbed way you often see. Difficult to gauge when I have no other children to see all the time!

Yes, tricky to see unless you are around lots of children or know children. Do you feel it's quite a major concern, or do you not think about it much day to day?

SpectresandSpooks Wed 28-Nov-12 23:11:25

Not a major major concern, but there are days when it's suddenly noticeable. Having researched it, they limp, but its not painful. It only starts to cause pain later on. However, that's only for walking. Partaking in furniture Olympics is slightly different....

Well, I really hope it solves itself, if there is anything problematic. Fingers crossed.

SpectresandSpooks Sun 02-Dec-12 10:31:40

Thank you smile.

DD spends hours at the childminders playing with a dolls house one of the childminders children got in the 1990's. DD is leaving the childminders this week as we move house sad and the childminder spent Friday evening on eBay and found some very similar ones and I am now bidding for one for Xmas smile. They're all fisher price and classed as 'vintage' as they're from the 1990s! Really crossing fingers I will win the bid as DD would be delighted.

How's everyone's advent going?

Ooh, good luck with the eBay bidding.

1990 was only ten years ago, how can that be vintage?! Oh wait! <feels ancient>

We have been watching some Christmas films. My artificial tree is up, but it is a bit pathetic. We need a nice big one. Not found one though, so just have the artificial one up for now. Lights are twinkling. We have our festive socks on. Snug!

OodKingWenceslas Sun 02-Dec-12 14:03:51

Our decs go up gradually.some of our salt dough ones are up but majority next weekend when I've helpers

SpectresandSpooks Sun 02-Dec-12 18:35:05

The tree is up! It's an artificial one we got 10 years ago at the outlet centre in Swindon. It comes complete with fir cones and I think it looks very smart. It's very bling this year as I have gone to town covering it with glittery birds from paper chase. DD proved very adept at hanging baubles.

Ooh, Ood, nice namechange! grin

Spec, it sounds fabulous. I think I'd like a big artificial one, I have a small artificial one that has served me well for 10 years, when I was single and had a small flat, but now we are a family, and DS is of an age, we need a bigger one. I like the artificial ones, they look so full, and last forever. But we plan to move regularly, and are trying to cut back on possessions. Plus I have not managed to find a nice fake one here anyway. Found a truly gorgeous one on the JL website, but they won't ship overseas. Boo.
DH likes real ones, so we are looking for a nice real tree for this year, and we'll see about next year. I've never had a real tree.
Your glittery birds sound wonderful!

SpectresandSpooksOfChristmasesPastPresentAndYetToCome
^^ Namechange suggestion! Maybe a bit long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now