Scrap Benefits and pay every adult, working, non working or retired, an unconditional basic income of £15,000 a year? Discuss

(332 Posts)
CorruptBstard Wed 04-Jul-12 15:35:15

Hi

Ok Mumsnet, what do you think of this?

Pay every adult in the uk £15,000 a year, with no conditions attached, so that every adult is free to use their time to do stuff, just for the love of it.

This basic income would cover basic needs for food and shelter, if people wanted to earn more money they could go and work for someone else or start a business of their own

This would abolish poverty in one fell swoop.

Wheres the money coming from to pay for it?

well apart from scrapping all "state benefits", we could also scrap income tax and fund it all by taxing money every time its spent.

ie Government gives me £5. I pass that £5 round a group of 10 friends. By the time the £5 comes back to me, it has been "spent" 10 times. Creating a turnover of £50. If the government taxes that spending at 20%, it raises £10 in tax. Making a profit of £5.

Thoughts?

If you recieved £15,000 a year unconditionally, what would you do just for the love of it?

Tressy Fri 23-Nov-12 12:27:53

The economic boom during the Thatcher years and beyond was down to the banks, irresponsible lending, consumer credit etc. Built on and maybes. We are paying for it now and will be for some years to come.

Abitwobblynow Sat 15-Dec-12 17:48:41

This is a therory put forward by the economist Charles Murray and I think it is a very good idea.

£15k is too high. I think he advocates around £6000 pa as a universal benefit - ALL OTHER BENEFITS abolished - and there are two provisos:

you have to buy health insurance
you have to buy a pension plan

Apart from that, you can do what you like and you are responsible for your own life. Set up a surfing commune in Cornwall? Work 3 jobs? OAPs agreeing to live together for mutual support and sharing the costs? Go for it. As people's income rise, their tax bracket goes up as normal (with a hugely simplified tax system).

I think the hugest strength of this theory, is that it takes the well-meaning but inefficient and wasteful government (bureaucracy) out of the equation, pulls all people into having bank accounts (and out of the reach of loan sharks), and that benefits DO NOT ACCOMPANY BABIES.

That benefits accompany babies is the hugest flaw in the welfare system as it is currently set up.

Abitwobblynow Sat 15-Dec-12 17:51:03

The economic boom during the Thatcher years and beyond was down to the banks, irresponsible lending, consumer credit etc. Built on and maybes. We are paying for it now and will be for some years to come.

Tressy, are you serious? The economic boom during the Thatcher years was North Sea Oil revenues before the deregulation of banks.

The irresponsible lending and consumer credit belong to the glorious years of Gordon 'I have saved the world' McMoron.

AmberLeaf Sat 15-Dec-12 18:00:51

Good luck if you or yours ever get seriously ill/disabled on £6k pa and no healthcare wobbly.

Heroine Sat 15-Dec-12 18:10:37

Hang on, if you lose all the government bureaucracy then there will be many government people unemployed and getting paid the £15k so.. oh yeah! Hang on that IS still a saving!

lougle Sat 15-Dec-12 22:09:49

Perhaps wages should be equalised - a certain amount of £ for an hour's work, regardless of the job. The Government could conscript the population to work according to their assessed skills, so those with the aptitude could be sent to work in Law, similarly, those with the skills could clean, etc. No choice, no 'worth', just using your skills where they are needed for a national wage. How would we like that?

picketywick Wed 09-Jan-13 11:32:09

CB Yours is a good idea but too sensible for any government to try it. Pity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now