Vanity

(12 Posts)
GoldenWondering Mon 19-Sep-16 16:36:09

Me again. I'm now on antibiotics for acne because I have had a very bad flare up. I have had this flare up becuase I have stopped using the topical product which was keeping the acne at bay. The product I was using was not prescribed, as it was just a toner thing you would buy from the skincare aisle.

My dad has a thing about me only using soap and water. Anything else would be vanity. Since I have stopped using my product on his instructions and switched to soap my skin has become very greasy.

I went to the doctor about a completely unrelated matter and he asked if I had ever had any treatment for my acne, so I didn't approach the doctor about the acne at all. I have only been taking them for a few days so I don't know if they will work.

What I have been thinking is that I cannot use any cosmetic products because that would be vain ( I mean cleanser, toner, moisturiser, not actual make up). Now I'm on these antibiotics, is that not also vain? Even though they have been medically prescribed, the end result is the same.

Incidentally my mother puts foundation on every day unless she is not leaving the house. He has never once said anything about her wearing make up. For me it is different, and I think he assumes that I am trying to attract men. It is cystic acne and it is quite sore.

I can't see that treating it with antibiotics is in any way morally superior to cleaning my skin with a bit of toner. I have seen people in church wearing make up although not trowelled on. I don't think cleansing is in any way comparable to wearing make up anyway.

Is taking the antibiotics not just vanity again? According to their definition of vanity, that is. I don't think not wanting to be covered in marble-sized lumps is all that vain, but what do I know.

RickOShay Mon 19-Sep-16 16:42:23

No it is not vanity. How old are you? It is your face and body and only you have the right to decide what you do with it. Nobody has rights over you, emotionally or physically. I am questioning your father's influence over you. Please be reassured it is not up to him whether you use a facial toner or not.

Phoeba Mon 19-Sep-16 16:46:55

Use the antibiotics if your doctor has prescribed them and your face is sore. The vanity thing is very odd - not sure why your dad is telling you this. It seems very punishing and controlling, sorry.

This does sound very controlling. If your skin is bad take the antibiotics that are prescribed by the dr.

I've been a Christian for well over thirty years and I take care of my skin by using the usual cleansers and creams. If the body is a temple it needs looking after.

Jaytee38 Tue 20-Sep-16 01:19:19

Im a Christian and Ive used antibiotics for acne it's not vanity. Acne is not just a couple of spots. One good thing about getting older is the spots have gone

Alicesmum1 Tue 20-Sep-16 08:26:18

In Romans 12:3 it says "I tell everyone there among you not to think more than it is necessary to think"

So,it is necessary to think something of ourselves, not be arrogant but be balanced in our view of ourselves and have self worth.

If antibiotics will help with your skin and that will give you a better feeling about yourself that could be great for you. As with all these things, it's always balance. Balance between the inner person (which is the most important thing) and the outer (which still is important to our self worth)

GoldenWondering Tue 20-Sep-16 08:50:13

The issue I am having is that I wouldn't need the antibiotics if I could use my toner. But use of the toner would be vanity. I am annoyed that it is acceptable for me to use antibiotics but not toner. It feels to me like the antibiotics are totally unnecessary because I could just use the toner instead. But it is ok for me to take antibiotics because they are prescribed and therefore medically necessary.

Alicesmum1 Tue 20-Sep-16 10:20:33

Is there a natural toner you could use? Like cider vinegar or lemon? I also have hormonal acne and I've read lemon juice with honey is a good one for it or is it just soap and absolutely nothing else even if it's a natural product, created by God?

specialsubject Tue 20-Sep-16 14:37:12

If these are your beliefs, up to you.

If they are your dads, buy what works and decant into a bottle that he doesnt object to.

user1471552005 Tue 20-Sep-16 16:44:47

How old are you OP?

quencher Tue 20-Sep-16 23:29:45

Your dad is controlling.

The belief you have just stated does not make sense. Over use of antibiotics is putting your life at risk. Every time you take them the bacteria in your body that are not dead becomes more resistant.

If you can't use the toner ask the gp to prescribe you other things. What am wondering is why the gp hasn't prescribed something like
Acnecide with benzoyl peroxide at 5%. Getting an infection is putting your life at risk. Why would your father want that.

If all fails, try sudocream. Some people say that it works for them. He doesn't have to know your using the toner or does he check all your things, walk into your room and control everything you do.

Seeing that this is a bit religious and church is mentioned.
There is a that story of the drowning man who refused help from passers by in a boat etc. When he drowned and went to heaven, he told God about his faith and how God didn't help. God told him he sent him help and he didn't take it. Apply this to your situation. You have the help, take it. You don't have to be medicated for something you can prevent.

What's your age? It will help with what advice people on this website can help you.

GoldenWondering Wed 21-Sep-16 15:45:08

I am middle-aged. I am not used to having this sort of interference in my life.

I thought yesterday that what I have posted on this thread seems completely disingenuous as I have more products than just the one toner. I have heaps of products but it is the fact that I was not just using soap and water that has prompted this. I wouldn't have approached the doctor with my acne as I didn't feel it was bad enough to justify an appointment.

It isn't anything to do with the products being natural or made by God. It is to do with the difference between hygiene (soap) and trying to make myself attractive (spot lotion).

Ironically my dad is always on about antibiotic resistance. It's just that because I have been prescribed them, that is acceptable for him. Putting a lotion on is vanity, taking drugs with the same aim isn't. I will probably end up with thrush, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now