Can someone explain Catholic V C of E Communion please?

(21 Posts)
goats Tue 24-Jun-14 22:21:30

Ok I should start by saying dd was baptised c of e but due to her attendance in a Catholic School she has become Catholic by her own choice and taken all sacraments.

I too was baptised C of E but my family going back Generations have all been Catholic. I understand the difference in belief in regards to the actual communion bread and wine.

What I want to know is the following. In our old c of e church anyone could take communion. When dd first became Catholic I did not realise I could not in the Catholic Church and recieved communion. I found out later and told priest who was fine as it was an accident.

I have since attended Mass regulary and done eight sessions with dd in preparation for her First Communion and the confirmation sessions and done all the preparation she has but obviously this does not mean I can recieve.

I am fine with that obviously just wondered what the difference is and why really.

niminypiminy Wed 25-Jun-14 09:31:56

I think the issue is for the Catholic church that you have to be formally received into the church in order to take communion, because you have to accept the doctrine of transubstantiation (that is, the bread and wine become the body and blood of Christ).

In the Church of England there are a number of different beliefs about communion, all the way from transubstantiation to memorialism (that is, the bread and wine are just bread and wine, and we remember the last supper when we take communion), so anybody who is baptised into a trinitarian church where they normally take communion can receive communion in the Church of England.

So although there are many Anglicans who subscribe to transubstantiation, they can't take communion in a Catholic church because they aren't formally members of it, while any Catholic may take communion in an Anglican church. It's one of the issues that people who hope and work for greater unity between the two churches hope might be resolved one day. But, in the immortal words of Father Ted, 'that would be an ecumenical matter'.

Hakluyt Wed 25-Jun-14 09:36:25

I didn't realise that a Catholic could take communion in a Protestant church.

When I was young (I am very old) Catholics weren't allowed to go into Protestant churches, never mind receive communion in them!

Seeline Wed 25-Jun-14 09:39:17

When I was young I had Catholic friends who were happy to come to services at my CoE church. They chose not to take communion - I always understood it was a matter for them and their own beliefs rather than a general 'ruling' of the Catholic Church. I think they had a problem with the fact that we all had bread and wine whereas they only had the bread, with the priest only having the wine. Something I could never understand...

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 25-Jun-14 09:40:21

Yip what niminy said . You basically have to be baptised a catholic to take catholic communion .

niminypiminy Wed 25-Jun-14 09:40:32

Well, you learn something new every day!

On a pedantic note, it isn't strictly correct to call the Church of England protestant: it strikes a middle way between Catholic and Reformed (protestant), with elements of both.

goats Wed 25-Jun-14 09:53:09

Thank you, most helpful! Dd was baptised c of e but changed of her own accord so I really have not a clue other than what I have learnt at dds preparation sessions but she has been formally accepted into the Catholic church now.

Hakluyt Wed 25-Jun-14 09:54:07

Oh, they are all Proddy dogs to me grin!

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 25-Jun-14 10:56:13

Yeah but obviously every Christian who isn't a Catholic is a Protestant wink

Duh gringrin

Lookingforfocus Wed 25-Jun-14 21:14:23

Except the Orthodox and other ancient churches which all trace back to the apostles and Christ rather than Henry VIII, Luther, Calvin etc.

sashh Fri 27-Jun-14 09:08:21

Hakluyt

There is a difference between C of E saying it is OK and RC saying it is OK. You may be allowed to by one and not the other.

I went to RC schools and we were told you could not take communion in anything other than RC mass because transubstantiation had not taken place.

I asked the teacher that if you believed it had happened then surely it didn't matter that the priest/vicar/minister believed it was still communion.

That was the one time she said she didn't know.

goats
If you want to take communion could you take your first with your dd?

Obviously you may not want to and it is about a lot more than just receiving bread and wine.

Lookingforfocus Fri 27-Jun-14 15:26:24

Well also Anglican vicars are not considered priests by Catholics because they are no longer in the line of succession back to the Apostles. So whatever Anglicans believed the bread and wine in their services is never becoming the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ as it is at a Catholic Mass.

MyrtleDove Sun 29-Jun-14 14:54:12

Anglican priests (they are called priests too, vicar is a particular type of priest) certainly believe themselves to be in Apostolic Succession. It's important to Anglicans too. There are also Anglican priests who definitely believe that transubstantiation takes place at the Mass (and they would call it Mass).

Lookingforfocus Wed 02-Jul-14 19:26:02

Some would and some wouldn't, some believe it's the Body and Blood of Christ and some don't. Some call themselves catholic,some protestant and some evangelical, some believe in the Virgin birth and some don't. You can be part of a parish calling itself Anglo - Catholic and hey presto you get a new vicar who is low church and doesn't believe in the Communion of Saints or "smells and bells". Anglican belief and practice is all over the shop and neither the Catholics or Orthodox accept the Anglican orders as valid in terms of a Priesthood or one that is a successor of the Apostles. The founders of the Anglican church made it very clear that they were cutting themselves off from the vine that is historic Christianity. The Anglican church was begun by a man who married 6 women and murdered two of them remember, not much holy about that.

niminypiminy Wed 02-Jul-14 19:39:40

You may well be right as to the rules and regulations, Lookingforfocus, but it is hardly in the spirit of Christian caritas, is it now? I am not even sure you are right, since priests ordained in the Church of England have been accepted into the ordinariate -- presumably their ordination is accepted even though it was at the hands of an Anglican bishop?

Lookingforfocus Thu 03-Jul-14 02:58:45

They were all reordained as Catholic priests.

niminypiminy Thu 03-Jul-14 09:36:23

OK. However there are many Catholic priests who, in practice, recognise the priestly ministry of Anglicans (and, indeed other denominations), and who work together with them in local situations. The cause of Christian unity (which is God's will for his church) is not much furthered by sectarianism.

Lookingforfocus Thu 03-Jul-14 10:39:20

They recognise their ministry - not their priesthood. Many misstatements and misunderstandings about the Catholic church permeate U.K. society. Explaining what the Catholic church actually teaches is not sectarian. I never said Christian communities cannot work together and be in fellowship. I said that in Catholic (and Orthodox) theology and belief Anglican orders are invalid and therefore communion in the two bodies of believers is different and not compatible.

We all believe in Jesus but our beliefs about some fundamentals of practice are different - such as Catholic and Orthodox recognising seven Sacraments, which the Anglicans do not - and there are historic reasons for that.

niminypiminy Thu 03-Jul-14 10:52:56

Peace be with you. Let's not let the details get in the way of the bigger picture, which is "The commandment we have from him is this: those who love God must love their brothers and sisters also. " (1 John 4.21)

Lookingforfocus Thu 03-Jul-14 12:34:55

Peace be with you too Niminy smile I know I can be a PITA but Mumsnet brings out the Devil's Advocate in me, another fine Catholic tradition!

From today's Mass readings;

Brothers and sisters: you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the Apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the capstone. Through him the whole structure is held together and grows into a temple sacred in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in the spirit.

Eph.2:19-22

niminypiminy Thu 03-Jul-14 13:19:25

Amen smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now