Is there anyone that was an atheist who is now religious?

(73 Posts)

I know plenty of people who are religious from upbringing, and plenty of people who are atheist despite a religious upbringing however I don't believe I know anyone who is now religious with an atheist upbringing.

I know some whose family were religious but they lost faith and have regained etc but is there anyone who had a completely atheist upbringing who is now religious? If so, what changed?

I am agnostic.

LittleBabyPigsus Sun 08-Dec-13 23:11:12

I was brought up in an atheist/agnostic household, became a Christian as an adult. I was introduced to it via friends as until then I was only aware of 'cultural Christian' stuff and not what Christians actually believe IYSWIM.

I don't see why people worry about their children becoming religious - as long as they're not in a cult or are some kind of scary fundamentalist preacher, what's the harm? I wouldn't care if my kids became atheists.

expatinscotland Fri 06-Dec-13 23:33:24

I know two people who were brought up not atheist, but nothing, really, who became Jewish.

HoneyandRum Fri 06-Dec-13 23:26:57

I was raised with no faith and therefore was not baptized. I didn't believe in God but I did always want to pursue truth. I had a breakthrough experience where I experienced a tangible love outside myself, noone else was present. I began to believe and have never stopped. I chose to become Catholic and have been now for over 25 years.

Still practicing, no regrets.

LaLaLeni Sun 27-Oct-13 19:44:16

I grew up with an outspoken atheist father but going to a Methodist, then Baptist church with my mother. Whilst going through a hard time at home I got baptised aged 17 but quickly realised I actually didn't believe in god, even though I was desperate to.

I'm now an atheist and finally happy that this is right for me; religion was about belonging to a surrogate family whilst my own was in disarray.

I've also studied theology and still heard nothing to make me think that there is a higher power. I find my atheism really freeing rather than depressing (as most friends seem to imagine it must be).

fluffyduckie Sun 27-Oct-13 19:13:04

My parents, pretty much all my family, and almost all my friends growing up didn't believe in God. They still don't and my new (ish - about 3 years) status as a "Bible Basher" perplexes them somewhat.

mypavlova Fri 25-Oct-13 17:55:50

My dad was atheist, mom non-practicing Catholic who insisted we receive religious education despite her non-practice.
I ended up a practicing Catholic eventually by a very circuitous path.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 24-Oct-13 22:26:24

Back, the religious aspect is the least time consuming for me.

It's the rest of it that takes up time and headspace.thlshock I think I do the mass thing precisely because it brings my mind back to the Human condition. And that is sooo much easier for me to get my head around.

fifi669 Thu 24-Oct-13 19:13:52

My dad is a firm atheist and my mum isn't bothered either way. As children I was the only one of the 4 if us to have faith. My older brother used to enjoy constantly taking the piss and the more than occasional shove etc. in his 20s he found God and is now a committed catholic

My dad is a firm atheist and my mum isn't bothered either way. As children I was the only one of the 4 if us to have faith. My older brother used to enjoy constantly taking the piss and the more than occasional shove etc. in his 20s he found God and is now a committed catholic

fifi669 Thu 24-Oct-13 19:13:23

Abra1d Tue 22-Oct-13 16:15:03

Mainly the label!

He has changed what he believes? or just the label?

Abra1d Tue 22-Oct-13 11:45:31

My atheist son (child of semi-practising Catholic and a Presbyterian) has announced he is now an agnostic--mainly because he can't stand the hectoring tone of the atheists in his Philosophy classes.

Dione I was just kidding about using 'having more free time' as a reason for people to give up religion. smile

DioneTheDiabolist Mon 21-Oct-13 19:17:55

A reason for what Back?

SalmonellaDeGhoul Mon 21-Oct-13 12:58:59

I was brought up by easygoing Catholics, we went to Mass but religion was rarely discussed.

Aged 17-18 , I rejected a lot of the ideas and started to demand "proof" of God before I would believe in him or an afterlife.

I gradually came back to believing in some sort of spiritual afterlife. I don't call myself religious because I don't follow any particular set of beliefs but I and other people I trust and know to be mentally sound have had experiences which can't be explained rationally but are enough for me to feel that there is something. I don't know if there's "someone" in charge of that "something." I am inclined to think there is.

Dione, Now there's a reason I should use in future. "atheists have more free time" smile

/makes a note

SatinSandals I don't get it either. I've had long debates about the inner voice that tell you something is true and how on earth you can distinguish from the inner voice that tells you it's ok to eat both cream cakes.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 18-Oct-13 19:48:15

Back, I don't really know how I would feel if my faith disappeared suddenly. And given that it appeared suddenly, I am well aware that this is a possibilty.

I have had one time when I felt as though god wasn't there. I missed that connection and thought and moaned a bit about it. But I got on with things and eventually normal service was resumed, albeit in a slightly embarrassing way.blush

I hope that if I were to lose my faith completely I would accept it and get on with my life, only with a better understanding of myself and other people. Sometimes I think it wouldn't be a completely bad thing, as, for me, accepting the existence of a god is a big thing and I do devote a fair bit of time thinking about what god is and what it all means.shock. If I were to lose my faith, I would definitely have more free time.grin

SatinSandals Fri 18-Oct-13 19:21:42

How can you have 'sureness' about it? I can be sure of something one day and unsure the next.

I think people should be allowed to change back and forth as often as they like, but am always a bit puzzled how that works.

Consider that the only way to believe in god is through faith. There is no evidence (many religious people say that having evidence would spoil it) so it's a feeling inside that says god is real and wants you to do this, this, that and not do this or that.

To believe you surely must believe god put that voice there for you. So what happens when you change to another set of beliefs or none at all. Isn't that admitting that the first 'sureness' was incorrect and therefore couldn't have been from god at all? Why then would someone trust the next feeling they had. Knowing that in a few months they could have abandoned that one too.

tuffie Thu 17-Oct-13 21:57:06

I too love reading about people's journeys to - or away from - faith.
I have been backwards and forwards many times! But in the end, my faith drew me firmly back as I realised I had always been so much more at peace and happier, during the periods of my life when I was part of the church community, read the bible, and prayed.

SatinSandals Sun 13-Oct-13 20:46:06

I probably know more who were brought up Christian and are atheist.

SatinSandals Sun 13-Oct-13 20:45:14

I know lots of people. My father for a start, he started to go to church when he was an adult and got confirmed when he was over 50 yrs. I know a vicar who took himself off to church as a teenager to find out what it was all about.
I find it bizarre that people should just follow their parent's beliefs. You can bring them up a certain way, but they get the same free choice as everyone else.

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 13-Oct-13 20:35:26

This is a really interesting thread OP. Thanks for starting it. I love reading about the beliefs others hold, be they about god or about other people. Fascinating.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now