Why do Christian religions still use the Bible?

(55 Posts)
RoLoh Thu 01-Aug-13 09:28:59

I read a lot of posts on MN that say the Bible shouldn't be taken literally and is about interpretation.

I'm wondering why any religions still bother with it? It's full of the racist, bigoted, sexist views of men who lived in a completely different time and culture. Surely in this day and age it is somewhat redundant, especially since it's so questionable that it needs to be 'interpreted'.

All Christians know the fundamentals of their religion, i.e. being kind and thoughtful and charitable etc. We don't need passages from the bible to tell us this. Why do we need those parables? Why not use examples from modern life?

Anyway, just a thought. Would be interested to know yours ...

alemci Sat 21-Sep-13 22:53:55

also I wouldn't include the appocraphe as part of the bible. is that where you quoted from with the Judas macc

FavoriteThings Sat 21-Sep-13 22:57:40

The bible is the be all and end all as far as I am concerned.
It has a beginning, a middle and an end.
And is inspired by God.

People change. The bible does not. We are supposed to follow the bible, not the bible follow us!

FavoriteThings Sat 21-Sep-13 22:59:01

I dont knwo where the approcraphe came from. It does not fit in with the bible. It is like an add on, that just does not fit.

alemci Sat 21-Sep-13 23:05:15

there is a really good link about solar scriptura and questions linking to immaculate conception. will post tomorrow, no copy and paste on android.

it is as I thought. ML wanted to be free of all the add ons of manmade religion

alemci Sun 22-Sep-13 10:24:42

morning

my link

www.gotquestions.org/sola-scriptura.html.

This may put an evangelical spin on things but it looks quite sensible IMHO

Luther also translated the bible into German which was a turning point as it made it accessible to everyone. if it was in latin it made things more difficult for those lower down the ranks, granted some of them probably couldn't read but at least this gave them a chance.

also in my earlier post I was referring to John 14 V6 when Jesus was talking to Nicodemus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now