Christian Prayer Thread for Winter - all welcome!

(516 Posts)
DontstepontheBaubles Sun 23-Dec-12 07:30:22

Roomforalittleone - That the house sale continues speedily and completes asap and that God would provide for them and help them make ends meet financially. For her sickness to ease in her pregnancy. And for her friend who has sadly lost a baby, who was sleeping.
BabyBeatrice- who has been diagnosed with cancer at only 14 months, Mum is a long term MNer who has name changed. Prayers that God would surround the family at this time and heal her DD.
Blackeyedsusan- for good health, for energy, for her two children as she struggles to get them support at School and for her Mum. For more support at Church and to not feel isolated or lonely.
Jan- For peace, for her DD to sleep better, for her to be able to put firm boundaries in place and that her H would reach acceptance and peace about the situation and learn to respect her, so they can reach a place of good co parenting. That God would help her as she begins to investigate divorce and proceed. And that the meeting goes well with her parents and in laws and that a line would be drawn in the sand.
MHD-for her body and lungs to recover from the pneumonia fully and completely and her lungs to strengthen, so that she doesn't relapse at all but enjoys this festive season with her family.
amberlight-For her family to recover from the norovirus and for peace and reconciliation with an old friend.
MrsRhettButler- for her friends Mum who is very ill in hospital with a 5% chance of survival and young children.
HaveALittleFaith -for her energy as she grows this baby.
Cloutiedumpling- that her DD settles into nursery for her return to work and adjusts to bottles/ cups.
LewisFan- Her Nan has passed away, prayers for her family.
CharlotteCollinsislost-Prayers for her as she makes big decisions about her future as she plans to separate.
Positiveattitude-for her DD over Christmas, as her Mum is so far away. For home sickness to ease with PA and DS. That her children back home get support from PA's old Church and the heating is fixed asap. And that the organisation trace the money and PA then has the funds she needs whilst they serve God out there.
Kaykat- Prayers for her in her difficult marriage, for protection, peace and for God to help her and surround her with people, so she can end things, have a safe home and for her DS.
LiftUpYourGingerHeadsOYeCurls-for her as she does her thesis, for energy, concentration, clarity, ability to see the connections as well as the bigger picture AND be able to express it in writing.
Dontsteponthemomeraths - Prayers especially for her lovely man (LM) as the court case heads to High Court, there have been so many delays but it should get there in January. That God would make a way, where there is no way, help him to afford the court fees and that he will finally have the closure; contact with his children and a maintenance agreement in place that is fair to him, his ex wife and to the children. For justice. It's 6 years since divorce due to her infidelity and it is so hard for him. The children and ex wife live in another Country and the legal system there is very different. Prayers that he has freedom from his past and doesn't live in it anymore but breaks free and moves forward in all God has for him.
And for my brother, that his thumb heals fully and that with the rehabilitation he regains movement and use and that his nerves and feelings across the top of his hand come back. The outlook is not positive currently.

If I've missed anything, please add it.

MadHairDay Mon 21-Jan-13 10:52:15

Oh PA, that is rubbish of the church, can you chase them up on it at all? Send me a phone number and I'll give 'em a rocket if you want. sad Praying it will be sorted soon.

Kay - how are you feeling? Must be so many mixed feelings right now...so glad though that you no longer have to live with this man who has so badly treated you....praying for you, that you will feel Gods love wrapped around you - God who is ever faithful and true and loves you unconditionally.

Both dc are at school, they were very cross about it.

I seem to have abnother chest infection so gone on antibiotics. I don't have the strength to fight so hoping it's mild. It is so far.

Dutchoma Mon 21-Jan-13 11:01:06

MHD praying for you that this infection goes away very quickly. Praying for Jan and PA too, although 'kicks up the 'bum' seem more appropriate.

DoctorAnge Mon 21-Jan-13 14:18:22

Hello. May I ask you to pray for my little girl.
She has had a lot of health problems over the years and has been very unwell all this year. The latest infection could have her hospitalised if it doesn't improve over the next few days. I am praying with everything I have got that she gets better. I am desperate and it would be so kind if you could also remember her in your prayers. Thank you.

Dutchoma Mon 21-Jan-13 14:32:01

Of course, Ange. Prayers for healing and for wisdom for the health care professsionals so that they know how best to deal with your little girl.
How old is she and do you have any other children to care for?

DoctorAnge Mon 21-Jan-13 14:42:45

Thank you. She is 6 and my only one. She has been very unwell since a baby and we all work so hard keeping her well. We are all feeling so lost that we are failing her. She gets very serious infections one after another. If she could just get past this one I have a feeling things will improve..I am feeling very desperate. Thank you for listening..

Kaykat Mon 21-Jan-13 16:14:27

Ange I pray from this day forward your dd will get stronger. Keep battling in prayer, as will we.

Jan did you see the HV?

MHD I really hope the antibiotics work quickly to knock this latest thing on the head. I am happy he has moved out its what I've been asking for months but very perceptive of you to mention mixed feelings. Once every few weeks I find myself really missing him and I know it's totally ridiculous after the way he's treated me but I guess it's natural after many years with someone. These are the times I am vulnerable, especially if he is available and not preoccupied with a current OW. I have to make a very firm decision to follow my head not my heart and it helps to remind myself of everything he has done. I hope that eventually I won't feel this any more and fortunately it's not that often.

GingerCurl Mon 21-Jan-13 18:56:15

Right, I'm chucking it in with this thesis. I've had enough! After a wasted christmas because of my and the family's illness, last week I had to look after Ds for two days because dh had to be away with work for an important meeting. Today has been completely wasted as snow meant that school closed. ~Dh is away all week for work. I tried to find someone who was able to have Ds for a few hours to play today but they had spouses working from home due to the snow and had the ungrateful task of trying to keep their kids away from them while they were trying to work and, understandably, couldn't take on yet another kid. The rules say I can't get an extention beyond March, so this is it. I'm done. I won't be able to make it, so I might as well stop stressing about it and give up. I'm seeing my supervisor tomorrow and will let him know. I am so fed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GingerCurl Mon 21-Jan-13 19:00:27

What I don't understand is why God seemed to so clearly lead me to doing this PhD, why this? I've struggled throughout it. Have prayed for help/guidance, but it just seems all wasted. GRRR.

<rant over. As you were blush >

Dutchoma Mon 21-Jan-13 19:30:48

Oh Ginger, that is such a crying shame. I'm hoping that your supervisor can shine a little bit of light on it. If you still have till March, why not try and carry on till then, it's only a couple of months and if it isn't done, it isn't done.
Nobody of course can give you an answer to the question as to why God led you to do the PhD and now it feels like a total failure. I know one thing though: God never leads you into the desert to leave you there. Even if you can't finish it, there will be lessons to learn. Even if it is: don't give up before you have to.

Tuo Mon 21-Jan-13 20:09:59

Oh, Ginger... I am so sorry to hear that things are so difficult.

How's your relationship with your supervisor? Can you tell him about your difficulties and see what they suggest? Have you thought about a short-term suspension? If you suspend, the clock should stop ticking, as it were, so that your March deadline can still be pushed back. No-one will want you to give up now, after you've done so much and come so close. (And, purely pragmatically, from the institutional point of view, it looks worse for them if you don't finish at all than if you finish late - also in REF terms. And thinking of REF, the cut-off date for that is the end of July, if I remember correctly, so if you could get by with a short suspension you might still make it in time to count as a pre-REF completion!) More to the point, if rules need to be bent to get you through then they can be... How close are you to finishing? If need be you can submit the thing as it is... it might be referred, but that would buy you another 18 months to make the necessary changes to the final version (with the added benefit that the examiners will spell out precisely what they want you to do, so you're not second-guessing what they might be looking for, but responding to their comments).

Please don't give up on this now, though...

PM me if you think there's more I can do to help - I'm happy to talk more about possible ways of making this work if that would be useful.

Meanwhile, know that you are in my prayers.

raininginbaltimore Mon 21-Jan-13 22:40:49

Can I ask for some prayer? I will read back and pray for others.

Our lives have been very difficult for the last 6 months. DD is 5.5months old. She has been really ill, difficult and high maintenance. He has severe reflux and cmpi, and has been admitted to hospital, tube fed, given IV fluids in Oct. she is on lots of meds and her weight is a constant struggle. She is getting better, slowly. During this time I was admitted to a psychiatric mother and baby unit as I have bipolar disorder, for a depressive episode. I am home now, but still feeling delicate some weeks.

And then 2 weeks ago I fell down the stairs and broke my foot. So I am housebound and unable to look after my children (DS is 3). We are broke from paying all sorts of childcare, and I am beginning to feel like I have no more resources left. I am finding faith very hard.

blackeyedsusan Mon 21-Jan-13 23:01:36

sad raining

praying for antibiotics to work for mhd/ang

oma, hoping that i am nearing the end of the dessert soon...

had a bit of a grump about church... one person was pressuring for ds to go to junio church... but he is not ready and even the thought of having to leave me induces major episodes of clinginess and anxiety. last time it was mentioned. the next visit to the room caused him to try and push me out the door then he tried to run up me and cling. the "he goes to school alright".. was particularly galling as he does not and is quite anxious at school.

I do not have the resources to sit for several months while church attendance is intermittant to get him to settle into kids church. I have spent the best pat of the last 6 yeas sat in creche and several years unable to attend housegroups so have run out of resources.

oh and i am suffering frrom bloody hormones again... feeling lonely... need a slap ound the face with a wet fish

oh and I am not sure whether ds has sent an unfinished email to the head...which could be blush and no, I can't find where the sodding sent bit is...

Dutchoma Tue 22-Jan-13 07:25:22

How I thank God that He is still there when I go to bed.

RIB and BES,two posts with so much pain, may you feel that God is with each of you today.
Keep sharing, keep talking here or, if you can, in real life.

Praying also for Ange and her dd.

blackeyedsusan Tue 22-Jan-13 07:51:54

school is open!

Dutchoma Tue 22-Jan-13 08:30:01

That will please some but not other(s)

Tuo Tue 22-Jan-13 09:22:38

Sorry all... wrote a long post to Ginger last night and neglected others...

Praying this morning for:
GingerCurl - for her supervision meeting to go well today and for solutions to be found so that she can finish her PhD;
BES - who has so much to deal with right now, and who deals with it all with such strength and resilience, for that strength and resilience to continue so that things become easier for her;
Raining - for health for her dd, for healing for her foot, for her mental health, and for an improved financial situation;
Ange - for her dd's health to improve;
Kaykat - thanking God for a better home situation and praying for strength to get over the hurt that she and her DS have suffered;
MHD - for her to get well soon;
PA - for her DDs to get help to get the heating fixed, and for greater peace of mind for PA so far away from them;
BabyBeatrice - for the treatment to be successful and for her to tolerate the chemo well;
... and for all who post on this thread, for those who read but don't post, and for those known to us who need our prayers.

MadHairDay Tue 22-Jan-13 14:07:22

Afternoon all

Raining, so sorry to hear of all you have been going through. Praying for you and your dd.

BES, they really should not insist if he is not ready to go sad Hope you have a better day today and feel less lonely - praying for God's strength and comfort.

Ginger - TUO has some good advice, but like the others I'd encourage you to keep going for now and see what the supervisor says - you've worked so very hard. So sorry things are so difficult - you've been in my prayer the past few days and continue to be.

Feel bit better today so thankfully the oral abs kicked in quickly. feel a bit sick on them though sad

amberlight Tue 22-Jan-13 17:34:29

Keeping the prayers going...

GingerCurl Tue 22-Jan-13 18:52:45

Meeting with my supervisor went pretty well. He's convinced me to carry on while he shakes the tree a bit. Feel slightly less despondent this evening, so thank you for your prayers.

Also had a very pleasant surprise today. With the risk of outing myself, I heard my lovely cousin on the radio this morning completely out of the blue. I haven't heard from him for over a year, so it was great just to hear his voice.

Praying for everyone.

Dutchoma Tue 22-Jan-13 18:54:39

Well done Ginger hope your supervisor's tree shaking bears fruit.

blackeyedsusan Tue 22-Jan-13 22:49:06

that is good ginger.

it is supposed to be snowing. hoping school is open tomorrow. e had less than 24 hours notice of a trip as the letters did not go out on frriday.

Thank you so much! Beatrice had a hearing test today to see if the chemo was affecting her hearing (it always does, apparently, mildly or worse) -- her hearing was normal! Thank God!

Back for chemo on Thurs, praying for all your intentions.

Dutchoma Wed 23-Jan-13 09:32:23

Thank God indeed Beatrice'sMummy. Praying that the chemo will go well on Thursay.

DoctorAnge Wed 23-Jan-13 10:42:14

Thank you all for your prayers. My daughter is getting there! You are making a difference to her thank you for praying.

jan2013 Wed 23-Jan-13 10:45:32

oh Ginger does that mean you are famous?! Ginger i feel for you. glad you spoke to your supervisor... i am also trying to do my final year, and with everything going on ive felt like giving up many times... it is so hard, and im nowhere near phd level. keep going! do what you can and God will do the rest.

praying for Beatrice, and for everyone else.

i feel im kind of breaking down at the minute. i just can't cope anymore. i am supposed to be in my placement today, haven't been since Christmas. i just can't do it. i haven't been going to sleep till very late as dd hasn't been going to bed at night. i don't get a minute to myself all day, i can't get anything done and im stressed out wiht everything thats happened with dh and me. today my skin broke out in itchiness all over i took piriton, this has happened a few times when ive been really stressed. i just don't know what to do as i cant cope. i feel ive failed in my marriage, my career and my health. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now