Daily Gratitudes

(969 Posts)
crescentmoon England Wed 19-Sep-12 21:51:54

i was listening to Nina Simone's "Ain't Got No..." here or better one and i got to thinking about gratitude. apparently regular grateful thinking can increase happiness by as much as 25 percent just by wanting what one actually has. so i hope maybe that we can regularly write about the things that go well for us each day, no matter how little they are. from any faith and no faith too.

il start by saying over the past few days im grateful that...

1. its the middle of september and ds1 hasnt had to use his blue inhaler once
2. id worried that dd wouldnt like her new school but shes settled in very quickly
3. the sun shone brightly so i went exploring around my local high street
4. i have learnt how to make chai tea for myself now
5. the house is cosy and warm

crescentmoon England Mon 29-Apr-13 21:00:50

Missed you stressed glad to see your back! poledra that looks like such a cool event to get your dds interested in sci and tech. the most iv ever done is put repeat episodes of 'nina and the neurones' on for my dc!
salbertina the place you live in sounds beautiful. I get a mood boost just from looking out at a bright sunny sky I cannot imagine sea views as well. Glad you had a restful time post breakfast- it's very hectic here during weekdays. And now dd wants pack lunch instead of school dinners so she can sit with her friends who have pack lunch so that adds another layer in the morning I could do without!

Gratitudes

DH came home early from work yday.
We went to watch iron man 3 right after kids went to bed Db babysat,
Managed to do my prayers before going to bed,
week 2 of no sugar - or really low sugar lol - and I'm still feeling well motivated. Had movie nachos cheese salsa last night instead of sweet popcorn (I'm not avoiding calories trying to just kill my love of glucose first!)

Salbertina Tue 30-Apr-13 09:33:49

Good to see everyone on here!

Today am grateful for

The transformative power of exercise was a tired, grumpy and stressed out shouty thing before it i feel human now grin

Another beautiful autumnal day

A comfortable house

stressedHEmum Tue 30-Apr-13 09:41:54

Thank you, crescent. I'm glad to be back. I really miss this thread when I can't post.

Exercise is so good for improving you mood, Salbertina. It's one of the best things about it, I think. It's what I miss most now that I can't do it. There's nothing like a bit of physical work in the fresh air for making all your ills seem smaller.

Today, I am grateful -
for sunshine
for drying washing outside - I love the smell of fresh air on the washing
for sleep in a warm bed
for music
for food, water and shelter
for family and friends
for the smiles of my children

Salbertina Wed 01-May-13 08:49:13

Morning

Really sorry to hear that Stressed, must be hard not to exercise.
I really like how evocative your posts are, conveying how extraordinarily in touch you are with the senses (much more than most people) - the smell of freshly laundered washing, the warm bed, your dc's smiles smile Do you write at all?

Today, I'm grateful for dc playing nicely for now, despite lack of audiovisual entertainment coffee and the beauty of my surroundings

crescentmoon England Wed 01-May-13 23:50:53

Salaam all,

Gratitudes are

Health
Good weather
That Db asked to stay with us

stressedHEmum Thu 02-May-13 10:16:15

Morning all.

Thank you, Salbertina. I don't write but my Dh and older boys always said that I should, before I got ill. I did win a pile of creative writing awards as a child hmm I think that I just appreciate the small things that make me feel a bit better because a lot of the big things are beyond me now. - Moan over.

Today I am grateful -

that I am not a woman in Egypt, the news this morning was very disturbing
that I live in relative peace and safety
the feel of the sun on my face - yesterday was such a beautiful day
that I was able to help my friend at an event last night that was very important to her
for painkillers - am suffering for my escapades serving tea last night!

Salbertina Thu 02-May-13 20:39:44

Crescent- hope you're all better now, glad you're enjoying db's company and some sunshine!

Stressed- Could you not still write/blog/something? you have clear talent. i am not at all surprised to hear about your prizes, your writing really stands out (not that we don't all write beautifully on here smile) i'm glad you weren't offended by my comment anyway feared you might think me weird/patronizing for complimenting a stranger! i just had to say what i thought..

Anyway, today am grateful for food and shelter for us all, dc1 softening a little only due to illness the power of the sea and coffee.

Namaste.

crescentmoon England Thu 02-May-13 22:57:30

iv had an up and down few days - too much to go into here. hopefully rest of week will be good. i know what you mean about 'alot of the big things are beyond me now' stressed. its the small mercies and blessings that help me put one foot in front of the other.

gratitudes

1.went out in a light blazer today - first time with no coat on since before xmas i think!
2.dc are cheerful and happy,
3.cheerios - forgotten how good the original tastes,
4.my employers and colleagues are very decent people,
5.did one hour cleaning blitz today and feel so happy at the tidiness!

Salbertina Fri 03-May-13 08:17:23

Morning all smile

Big hug, Crescent (as dc used to say), sounds like things are tough, i wish you lots of those small mercies today.

Today am grateful for

the most perfect white flower with a blood red centre which i saw on my walk back today, stunning and just peeping over someone's wall.

Time with dc1

Dc2's get-on-with-it attitude: has fallen over twice this morning already but no protest, just kept on going, my sweetheart!

crescentmoon England Sat 04-May-13 00:27:23

Thanks salbertina for your wishes Those good vibes came through and iv had a better day today. All dc are fully recovered ds2 back to speaking again - for more than a week he just became monosyllabic I was really worried about him especially after that lovely progress!

Iv also had a few 'either God is rewarding him or punishing me' days with DH - which theologically is wrong but I wonder I really do sometimes!

Gratitudes

Day finished well
Week finished well

Salbertina Sat 04-May-13 08:00:59

Salaam everyone

Today I'm grateful for better night's sleep

Reasonable weather

Coffee

Crescent, I'm sure God would not want you to feel punished hmm ( Buddhism talks of that as the 2nd arrow - beating oneself up about it- after the initial arrow of hurt/suffering)
Hope things improve w dh, i feel your pain. Not been so great here either.. Ho hum.

stressedHEmum Sat 04-May-13 09:51:42

Morning all.

crescent, I'm sure that God does not want you to feel punished, I think that we do enough of that for ourselves. I hope things get a bit better. At least the kids are recovered and DS2 is still progressing with his speech, that's positive.

It's the small things that get you out of bed in the morningsmile

salbertina, I wish I could see the sea in the morning. When you write about it, I always imagine rolling waves, salt spray and that lovely crashing/shushing noise. I love the sea but it is so powerful and vast that it can be quite scary as well.

Today, I am grateful for -

sunshine after the rain
for my friend who is an oasis of calm, patience and good advice
for fruit tea
that DS1 is coming home today for a couple of days
that DH finally bought a suit for DS1's graduation - what a lot of stress that has caused
for GB camp, I think that DD really needed a break from us and we from her, tbh, so I hope for a bit of an improvement when she comes home.

crescentmoon England Sat 04-May-13 10:01:41

namaste salbertina,

well iv been feeling really run down with adjusting to work after 5 years being a SAHM, then i got hit with abit of a bombshell which after crying my eyes out for a day i am now ok with, after lots of 'Lord why me why now?'. kids were seriously unwell last week and this week - me and DB just managed it as DH couldnt switch things around to be present and helping. i thought i had come to an acceptance about how much commitment his work needs and his workaholic tendencies but now im working myself i found i have to work to a new reconciliation. which my family have helped immeasurably with by quiet practical help whenever it gets too difficult.
but this week DH got news about a job he'd wanted for ages and it involves us moving again clear across the country, and uprooting all over again, and as im pleased for him as it brings him alot closer to his goal and our family benefits in the long run. i just cant help but feel flat. just flat all week. not depressed just flat. and i know God will make it all good just as every other move has been, and i was more apprehensive last summer at our move then and its turned out really well. but id hoped that we'd end up settling here, or at least until xmas. but if DH misses out on this he doesnt know when he'll get an opportunity like it again. so i was wondering 'his reward or my punishment' when religiously i should reflect more on what hidden wisdoms in it.

anyway, gratitudes:

1.dc happy, healthy, well
2.lovely friend is taking them all for the afternoon so i can get some things done,
3.ds2 is enjoying counting to 10 - not making sentences but hes counting everything!
4. ds1 doing well at school
5. i always felt sorry for DD that she didnt have a sister but my DB has been such a help for me this week i realised i dont feel like that anymore!

crescentmoon England Sat 04-May-13 10:09:49

(im acting calm now but i was blanking DH for most of this week after we argued on tuesday but then yday our car got totalled by another driver and that got us talking! so i said day ended well despite that because it gave us both an out).

Poledra Sat 04-May-13 11:48:28

Oh crescent, that's a tough week - it's hard when you feel .like you should be happy (as DH gets a great opportunity) but you just can't be because of everything else that that means. Moving away from family would be difficult. We haven't lived near our families in all our time together, but I know that once I got used to having family near it would be a real wrench to move away again.

Gratitude for the last few days:
Good food
Lovely sunshine (and line-dried laundry - the novelty hasn't worn off yet)
Books - I don't know where I'd be without the capacity to lose myself in a good book.

Salbertina Sun 05-May-13 07:43:46

Morning smile

Stressed- oh the sea view is most inspirational but words rather fail me dc both had friends over and not much sleep was had

Crescent- that does sound tough esp when you've just started back at work from practical as well as (your) career pov.. Tho obviously great opportunity for dh. I guess you need to decide whether/how it could work for you all, not just dh?

Poledra- hello, enjoy reading your posts. Ive sadly lost the habit of losing myself in a good book recently as am so easily distracted atm (monkey mind!) . What i need though. And enjoy!

Today am grateful for

Being able to make dc1 v happy (too rare!)

Yes, the crashing, endless sea dotted with distant fishing boats and trawlers

Peace of mind and coffee.

crescentmoon England Sun 05-May-13 10:33:49

thanks poledra and salbertina for understanding - i usually avoid the news especially middle eastern news - its too depressing - but yday i sat down and watched a feature on syrian refugees who fled from the civil war camped out in turkey and jordan. and i just thought 'stop feeling sorry for yourself'. mentally im already in the mindset of moving though it wont happen for a few months but im just going to...wait and see.

the funny thing was DB came to stay iwith us temporarily while he would get his head and act together and now hes going to stay on here after we move as he's enrolled on a course and wants to finish it through! very wrenching after just a few months of unconditional family help to lose it now - got to take that run of the mill babysitting for granted and now il be moving away and having to build up those links instead!

i also love losing myself in a good book though i have much less time to read than before.

gratitudes

security - every day i leave my house and come home without fear of being the victim of crime,
safety - i dont live somewhere where i have to listen out for drone attacks, or watch the skies for bomber planes (as in syria),
i have clean water i dont need to choose i get it automatically
family - so far so good this year, nearly halfway through 2013 and theres been no bad news in our families yet

Salbertina Sun 05-May-13 12:19:29

Crescent, yes Syria in dire situation, puts our lives in perspective. Doesn't detract, however, from our real every day problems- am so sorry to hear about your car accident. Are you all ok? Silver lining in opening communication w dh, I guess; can understand why it's been hard to talk to him though, it is an upheaval and lots to think through. Good luck with your plans whichever way they lead you smile

crescentmoon England Sun 05-May-13 13:31:54

no no not a car accident - even i would struggle to keep a sunny outlook after that! a large van drove into our parked car and completely ruined the front bumper and front part of the car. discovered it after we went outside - havent been able to use the car all weekend. still trying to get it sorted out but in the meantime it opened up the lines of communication yes!

no it doesnt detract - and it has to come from inside of somebody themselves - as in 'i could have been in that situation' - not being told by someone else 'stop feeling sorry for yourself! etc'.

just off to the park now with dc, getting laundry done, just day to day stuf this bank holiday weekend! im not thinking too much right now about work and moving sniff - im praying that we both get to find something amazing this year. just going to enjoy the sunshine! have a fab weekend salbertina,

Salbertina Sun 05-May-13 14:38:41

http://blog.tarabrach.com/2013/05/its-not-whats-happeningits-how-you.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+tarabrach/HhFL+(Tara+Brach)&m=1

Am trying v hard to learn from this and not have yet another row with dh may be of help to others too...

stressedHEmum Mon 06-May-13 09:46:15

Oh, crescent, what a week. It's so hard when you have to move around. Just when you thought that you were settled and were flourishing at work. You have my sympathies. I'm sure that it will all work out for the best in the long run, though. it's v. difficult to be a wife and to have to put what's best for your Dh before your own wants and wishes.

I'm very glad that no-one was in your car when it was hit, that at least is a blessing, it could have been so much worse.

I think that it is easy to back yourself into a corner when you are angey. My husband is bad for that. he stops speaking to us and then, after a few days can't find a way back. I usually just try to keep talking a bit to him even when he won't answer (or even leaves the room to avoid me), so that he has an inroad, as it were. it's not easy, though. He can be like a sulky child sometimes.

I, too, am very grateful that I do not live in places like Syria, where the suffering of the people defies imagination. There is a verse in the bible that says "man dominates man to his injury" and I always think that it is so true. The world is wracked with war, poverty, injustice and suffering because of people who struggle for power.

Today I am grateful -

for a family gathering at the weekend to see my sister and her family off to Australia
for a nice weekend with DS1 at home
that I got some volunteers for my summer club yesterday
for security and safety
that I live in a stable country that takes our human rights seriously and protects our freedoms
that I do not have to live in fear
food, family, friends, clean water and shelter

Salbertina Mon 06-May-13 10:12:19

Morning

Stressed, your dh sounds quite a challenge to your patience sometimes?! Admire your selflessness/devotion at putting his needs above your own.

I feel that i should try to consider all others' needs before mine but get caught up in selfishness. Am trying through mindfulness to see the connectedness between us all and to be present, a lifetime's work in progress though!

Today am grateful for

Another stunningly beautiful sunrise over the sea- swirly pinky clouds cut through with yellow framing the sea and lighting up the city in the distance.

Coffee

Feeling physically better after doing my exercises

Feeling mentally better after listening to a mindfulness/Buddhist talk just now and doing a short lovingkindness meditation.

Namaste.

Salbertina Tue 07-May-13 07:38:31

Breakfast outside- appreciate it now as will be too dark soon

Dh work deadline will be over today, one way or another!

Healthy food and decent school for the dc

crescentmoon England Wed 08-May-13 06:56:52

Salam lovelies!

Really liked your last post stressed. Not really much to say gratitude wise. Lord let me be resilient and tranquil'.

Gratitudes

Kids are happy
Work is good
My family are well
DH is well
Boiler passed gas safety check!

Salbertina Wed 08-May-13 07:48:25

Morning smile

Watching pod of seals following the fish to shore

6hrs solid sleep- a recent record, feel much much better

Looking forward to catching up with friends at lunch, nice to chat to adults in the daytime

Feel slightly more in control of my life with some ideas to follow up on to get some fulfillment and thereby aim to be a calmer, happier presence around my kids (not working really doesn't suit me!)

Just been reflecting on Carl Jung's statement: "nothing has a stronger influence psychologically on children than the unlived life of the parent." Am trying to reconcile this with the Buddhist ethos of lovingkindness as well as reflect on how deeply my parents' lives were "unlived"/frustrated in so many ways.. And yet that's reality often, isn't it? Compromise, the self-sacrifice inherent in bringing up children, taking turns to shine... I know you're battling on this front right now, Crescent and i wish you well with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now