Cool Choirs, Clappy Choruses, Cringy Coffee: Religion Chat Thread No 5

(1000 Posts)
madhairday Sun 09-Sep-12 16:16:19

I thought seeing as our other thread has gone somewhere into the oblivion that is old MN pages, I would start us up again anew for a new term. This is a place for those who are Christians (and anyone who's not, we're not an exclusive little club) grin to chat about life, theology, church, any other stuff and of course Graham Kendrick, as nickel would not forgive me if I forgot to mention him grin

So all welcome, old and new, it would be fun to chat and chew over anything that comes to mind. Lurkers say hello!

Anyone got a nice juicy topic to get the ball rolling then? Or if not come say hi anyway and tell us how you are doing. smile

niminypiminy Mon 18-Feb-13 16:16:33

shine

Shine

Jesus

Shine

Go on then...

nickelbabe Mon 18-Feb-13 15:25:25

I think we should.
Got to get our money's worth haven't we!

thanksamillion Mon 18-Feb-13 14:40:55

Shall we just fill up this thread with random messages so we all have to move to the new one?

nickelbabe Mon 18-Feb-13 11:48:21

mary has realized that a new thread has started and has copied her comments here
grin

MaryBS Mon 18-Feb-13 07:55:36

I wish my church had a sense of belonging for the older kids. Why do the adults (without kids) say "its their age, they're going to drift away". Mine is drifting away because what they do at church for youth is absolutely ZILCH! Had a long chat with my vicar last week where I suggested I drop all other work and become youth minister, I feel that strongly about it! (So, I would be Reader only to youth, no more leading/preaching at normal services, I would stop producing the newsletter, I would stop being assistant treasurer and I would stop running the house group). I don't think she wants that, but if no-one comes forward, and we HAVE asked, radical problems require radical solutions! Anyway, rant over!

As an RC, I stopped going to confession when I went one time and all the priest said was "very good". Actually it wasn't very good, which was why I was confessing. It made me want to confess something like murder just to see whether he said very good! blush. At Reader selection I was asked my views on confession, and I said that I confessed before God, but if there was something I needed to discuss with a priest, I would do so - got told "that is a very protestant answer" blush grin - don't think it was what they were expecting, I think that was supposed to be my "hard and challenging question"! LOL

nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 20:46:21

it is hard when you think you're working Against the grain

niminypiminy Sun 17-Feb-13 20:19:38

thanks all -- sometimes I get tired and demoralised -- it's lovely for me to read your encouraging words.

hiddenhome Sun 17-Feb-13 19:53:19

That's true, that's what church is all about after all smile

nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:32:38

but that's also why it's so lovely that that they know they can go to church for that. food and a feeling of belonging.

hiddenhome Sun 17-Feb-13 19:28:06

It's so sad hearing about children going through this sad I know some of it may be due to genuine poverty, but I do get angry when I hear about neglectful parenting. I had a rubbish mother myself and it stays with you.

nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:26:23

niminy that's lovely smile

and they will remember it

nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:25:22
niminypiminy Sun 17-Feb-13 19:23:47

I do do food from time to time, and sometimes we do breakfast before the service. Sometimes I feel that everything I do on a Sunday is making up for the deficiencies in other people's parenting, and trying to do some small thing in the hardness of these children's lives.

niminypiminy Sun 17-Feb-13 19:20:39

Wooden drum banged with clave with full force without any sense of rhythm. Honestly, we do loud, but this was too loud.

Happy birthday SESthebrave

nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:19:20

I wonder whether it might be expedient to have food in Sunday school?
talk about it as a mini communion.
food featured a lot in the bible.

nickelbabe Sun 17-Feb-13 19:16:20

golly, I'm a traditionist but even I think it's fine to bang instruments as loudly as possible in the final hymn!

hiddenhome Sun 17-Feb-13 18:56:49

I have a teen who keeps talking about being admitted to the RC Church, but won't get out of bed to go to Mass and a younger son (8) who's the most religious out of the lot of us and keeps us on the straight and narrow. He's sort of a guru in our house and we go to him with dilemmas and he'll point out the error of our ways and remind us of how we should be grin

hiddenhome Sun 17-Feb-13 18:52:57

Oo, Happy Birthday SESthebrave thanks

Sorry your ds is unwell, but at least you get a rest when they're like that grin

SESthebrave Sun 17-Feb-13 18:49:42

Hello all and welcome HiddenHome smile

I'm Catholic and also struggle with confession. In the 15yrs I've been RC, I've been twice. I can see why it is a valuable sacrament and how beneficial it can be but I can't help but see it as a one to one counselling session and I have an issue with counselling from something that happened in the past.

I managed to get to church this morning with both DC. DS was behaving really well and being very quiet so I was very thankful after the bad experience last week but then I realised he was really warm and not well! He's had a temperature and cold symptoms all day and had an afternoon watching telly on the sofa.

Had a wonderful evening last night as DH did me a surprise party for my 40th. There were about 30 people there and it was lovely to see everyone and enjoy a few drinks smile DD slept through til 5am blush

Niminy - I like the sound of that Christian Aid app. Will have a look....

hiddenhome Sun 17-Feb-13 18:48:58

That's really sad niminypiminy sad, but lovely that they come to you for help.

niminypiminy Sun 17-Feb-13 18:45:40

I was so tired from Sunday School that I had to go to sleep for a couple of hours this afternoon (was up very early too). In my group we had 11 4-9s, among those several who have developmental delays and special needs of various kinds, children who are in very difficult family situations, children who had come to church unaccompanied, children who have only a couple of minutes attention span.

When we came back into church, I spent most of the time getting them to be quiet during communion (ie stop running around, fiddling with CD player, trying to get to the food), then stop them banging the instruments as hard as they could during final hymn, stop play-fighting with the flags etc etc. At least once the service is over they can get to the food (I expect lots of them are coming to church hungry) and then go outside to play.

Tis very tiring!

This thread is not accepting new messages.