Cool Choirs, Clappy Choruses, Cringy Coffee: Religion Chat Thread No 5

(1000 Posts)
madhairday Sun 09-Sep-12 16:16:19

I thought seeing as our other thread has gone somewhere into the oblivion that is old MN pages, I would start us up again anew for a new term. This is a place for those who are Christians (and anyone who's not, we're not an exclusive little club) grin to chat about life, theology, church, any other stuff and of course Graham Kendrick, as nickel would not forgive me if I forgot to mention him grin

So all welcome, old and new, it would be fun to chat and chew over anything that comes to mind. Lurkers say hello!

Anyone got a nice juicy topic to get the ball rolling then? Or if not come say hi anyway and tell us how you are doing. smile

Niminy MIL is now curate in a team benefice south of Cambridge smile

No, not at all further along in the process! I haven't even had conversations with the DDO yet... So a date for a BAP is not on the cards yet sad
Wish I was...
Would love to have some more certainty and clarity about the future, I know it it all in God's hands, but still with DD1 and soon DD3, and DD1 starting Reception next September it would be good to know where we will be...

DO I hope the Gruffalo didn't eat her wink

niminypiminy Tue 11-Sep-12 12:32:12

Blue I know, sometimes it's so frustrating to not be able to plan for the future. I keep turning over timescales in my head ('if I train f/t, if I start next year/will we be moving just as DS1 starts secondary, eek, eek' etc) repetitively. I know that I just have to trust to the process, and stay with the uncertainty and doubt, and that God has the whole thing in his hand. But but but... In the meantime I hope you get to see the DDO soon -- that's really helped me to feel that something is happening. (Although since they can't really give you any encouragement in the early stages it's still somewhat perplexing. A friend of mine says 'you just have to say to yourself, 'they haven't told me not to come back yet').

madhairday Tue 11-Sep-12 13:03:35

It is a long old process and can be frustrating, but yes it's important to trust in the process. dh didn't get through his first bap and that was a really low time but looking back we see God's hand totally on it all as regards timing etc and where we ended up. You never know what God's up to wink

DutchOma Netherlands Tue 11-Sep-12 13:24:19

No, I think the Gruffalo left and Nickel was still intact.

BAP? that's a bread roll isn't it? smile

MaryBS Brazil Tue 11-Sep-12 16:19:39

Its like wading through dough, thats why DO grin. Stands for Bishops Advisory Panel

Tuo Tue 11-Sep-12 21:07:52

The last couple of days at work have felt a bit like having been visited by a gruffalo. Repeatedly. It's no wonder I was convinced it was Wednesday by the end of today. The final straw was being blocked into my parking space by a police van, of all things.

So glad you liked that hymn MHD. I'll have you trading your tambourine for a thurible yet! wink

Niminy and Blue - I have no idea what it's like for you really, but can sympathise from when I applied for a job elsewhere earlier in the year, and spent a couple of months living with that uncertainty of not knowing where we'd be living by the new academic year... However hard you try and tell yourself that it's in God's hands and 'what will be, will be' (etc. etc.), it's so hard not to think yourself into the 'What if...' scenarios.

MHD - I've been thinking about your situation, and thinking that one group of people who really need help and support, even in quite affluent communities, is carers, who may find it hard to get out of the house, be lonely, need help with shopping, form-filling, all kinds of things really. Another group which is often catered for very badly (though also 'hard to reach', often) in the kinds of communities that you've described (if I'm imagining it correctly it's very like somewhere I lived - and was horribly depressed - for a while) are teens, though it's hard to think what you could do with/for that group without premises/facilities. I'll keep thinking anyway.

Tuo Tue 11-Sep-12 21:08:38

Correction: ... like being visited by a gruffalo while wading through dough!

MaryBS Brazil Wed 12-Sep-12 07:59:30

A gruffalo, what's a gruffalo? wink

madhairday Wed 12-Sep-12 08:39:50

A gruffalo? Why, didn't you know? He has knobbly knees and turned out toes and a poisonous wart on the end of his nose! grin

TUO - nah, never thuribles <such a good word that, thurible. Thurible> grin - incense doesn't like my chest. Or t'other way round. Oh and I don't do tambourines either, too 70's grin Thanks for the ideas and thinking about it. I'm very much thinking along those lines too, re carers - I am going to speak to my COPD nurse about it next week, see if she knows of any groups and if not to ask advice about starting one somewhere. It's the premises that's a real difficulty...

Tuo Wed 12-Sep-12 10:05:20

'Thurible' is a fabby word, isn't it. DD2 has informed me that when she grows up she wants to be 'a thurifer with a thurible'!

I used not to like incense at all, and grew up in a very low (trad, but low) church which I'm fairly certain had incense filed under 'papist nonsense'. But two years down the cathedral-attending line, I find it growing on me. Mostly I like the pretty patterns the smoke makes with the dust and light. But I can see it's not good for anyone with lung issues. sad

Good luck with the COPD nurse. Re. premises, are there schools in your area, or are they more in the main town? At DD1's (non-church-affiliated) secondary school there's a Christian group which runs a sort of after-school youth club...

Back to work...!

Tuo Wed 12-Sep-12 10:06:09

(That last instruction was to myself, btw. The rest of you carry on as you were. wink)

MaryBS Brazil Wed 12-Sep-12 10:48:55

I love incense, I'll quite happily inhale it putting my head over the thurible for maximum impact. I end up stinking of the stuff! grin

Did I ever tell you all about the time our vicar got a phone call to say the church was on fire? I'd overdone it with the incense at morning prayer (I was quite new to the quantities and I was on my own for prayer) and the church was full of "smoke"! He went charging down the church and found out it was OK, and teased me about it - thought it was really funny, thankfully!

niminypiminy Wed 12-Sep-12 11:03:03

I like incense too. One week a month our (sadly incense free) church building is used by a Syrian Orthodox church. You can always tell when they've been in because the lingering smell of the incense (not to mention candle wax on the carpet - candles another thing we don't have enough of sad) is wonderful and evocative.

Ok, must go off to work... <gives self a good shake>

gingercurl Wed 12-Sep-12 11:54:29

I don't like incense. The stuff makes me sneeze, cough and wheeze, my eyes stream and, if it's really bad, I get a stinking headache.

Another one who needs to get on with work!

cloutiedumpling Wed 12-Sep-12 11:55:44

Incense - don't tend to come across that up here. Would love to try it though. Does it set off your eyes like hayfever does?

madhairday Wed 12-Sep-12 12:08:24

I love the thought of incense, all the 'prayers rising up as incense' thing and the aesthetic nature of it, but the stuff in reality makes my chest sieze right up. In fact, ironically, I went along to a healing service where there would be prayer for healing for people, all open to the idea of being prayed for in a more catholic type of way, and I took one step in, couldn't breathe, and had to leave sad Disability access issues in that one....but it's so hard, because so many people find it helpful. I don't know...

Mary, lol at you getting happy with the smoke!!

Back to work for me too....had quite a productive morning here, things really starting to happen and getting mission strategies in place etc. smile Must get back to my book now.

niminypiminy Wed 12-Sep-12 14:18:41

Actually, as an asthmatic, I probably love the lingering smell of incense more than the smoke.

<pokes self with big stick, vowing never to look at mn in work time ever again>

Tuo Wed 12-Sep-12 14:56:10

DD2 likes to count how many spoonsful of incense are used in the course of a service (when she's 'boating') and to report back.

I think her record is 14!

MaryBS Brazil Wed 12-Sep-12 16:39:14

I went to a mediaeval service re-enactment once, where they used lots of incense. That is the only time where I've smelled a church, before I saw it! grin I kid you not!!!

SESthebrave Wed 12-Sep-12 20:50:45

I've come to love the incense and particularly the moment the altar is incensed. We often sing "Lord may our prayer rise like incense in your sight , may this place be filled with the fragrance of Christ" at that point which is set to a beautiful soft tune.

Tuo Wed 12-Sep-12 21:50:42

Mary... I loooove that 'church on fire' story. DD2 would adore you!

MHD - that's really interesting to think of it as a disability access issue. I hadn't thought of it like that, but it's obviously a serious issue. I guess that normally someone who had a problem with incense in our place would be able to get away with sitting further back and not near the aisles where the procession passes and they'd be OK. But at the moment, with the nave closed and everyone 'camping out' in the quire, it's pretty hard to avoid.

Niminy - have you ever been to an Orthodox service? I haven't, but I visited a Serbian Orthodox church in Trieste once and it was probably one of the most 'atmospheric' places I've ever been to. Despite the fact that I was still an agnostic back then, it was easy to feel that God was very close there.

Sharksandfishes Wed 12-Sep-12 22:03:55

Hi, can I join?
I live envyn Sydney and became a Christian since moving here two years ago (DH was a couple of months behind me grin)
We go to an Anglican church but because we live in a surfy young area, it's pretty evangelical. Lots of Hillsong music!

Sharksandfishes Wed 12-Sep-12 22:04:43

Don't know what the random envy was, sorry!

Tuo Wed 12-Sep-12 22:14:25

LOL! That's the rest of us going envy at you living in Sydney, I should imagine! Welcome to the thread!

niminypiminy Wed 12-Sep-12 22:17:28

I haven't - but I really want to go. Maybe I should go to the Syrian Orthodox service in our church, but it's hard to imagine in what is essentially a 1960s church hall with folding doors at the end to enclose the altar. Not dactyl Hagia Sophia (not that that's a church anymore). OK I'll find out when they're next in and go, and report back!

This thread is not accepting new messages.