My corn snake just bit me.

(11 Posts)
DaleyBump Fri 20-Sep-13 00:12:15

Totally unexpected, he's never bitten before. He's about a year old. I was handling him and he was fine, fed him like I usually do and went to put him in the box we use for feeding him and he struck. No warning or anything. I didn't frighten him, he saw me coming. His mate is fine, she's acting her usual self. Anyone have any idea what might have caused him to bite?

Probably just an active feeding response, he is still very young

Secretswitch Fri 20-Sep-13 00:44:52

Honey, aren't you pregnant? Can a bite from a reptile pose any threat to your or your baby? (ps. I know nothing about snakes and don't want to be alarmist but it did come to mind when I read your post)

Bumply Fri 20-Sep-13 00:46:47

Is the snake close to shedding? They don't see very well at that stage and can kind of go for you because they sense movement but can't see you properly.

NatashaBee Fri 20-Sep-13 00:55:27

I agree, probably about to shed and his eyesight isn't as good as usual.

DaleyBump Fri 20-Sep-13 01:06:03

Nah, he shed really recently. He didn't break the skin Secret but thank you! smile

Secretswitch Fri 20-Sep-13 01:12:35

Oh good! I do hope you are feeling well and getting ready for your little one. flowers

DaleyBump Fri 20-Sep-13 01:15:39

Thank you! Starting to get really excited now smile hope you're well! smile

NatashaBee Fri 20-Sep-13 13:50:33

Their strike response is instinctive... do you use tongs for handling his food or might the scent of it have been on your hands?

gamerchick Fri 20-Sep-13 13:52:52

Ours bites sometime when it's feeding day and he misses grin

He's still quite young I doubt it's anything to worry about.

DaleyBump Fri 20-Sep-13 14:20:36

We do use tongs but I had handled the mouse, hadn't even thought of that because I've done it before but that'll probably be it. Thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now