snake and child together

(6 Posts)
juliewalters Fri 04-Jan-13 20:40:18

hello mumsnet i am new and i have a snake in my and i have 3 children and they like to play with snike and sometimes they go in big snake cage with snake is it safe for me to have children in cage with snake dont worry i am not locking cage i do not lock them it is not locked cage

juliewalters Fri 04-Jan-13 20:40:54

the cage is very big

WheelybodsDH Fri 11-Jan-13 11:30:18

Hi, what snake is it and what ages are your children? As long as it is always supervised and it's not a large snake, you shouldn't have much safety concerns, however please remember that any snake is capable of biting no matter how placid they seem, also ensure that they wash their hands after any interaction with the snake using antibacterial wash as snakes can carry salmonella.

I have kept several snakes myself but nothing over 5' and had my friends children touching and holding them, always supervised and made sure they didn't approach the "sharp" end.

WheelybodsDH Fri 11-Jan-13 11:32:06

Just to add the usual recommendation is any snake over 8' should always have 2 adults on hand, when feeding etc, if the snake is that large and they are younger children there will be safety concerns.

Nigglenaggle Sun 13-Jan-13 20:27:38

Yup, what she said smile

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 14-Jan-13 12:10:48

Also with all reptiles it is really important that children wash they hands really well after handling due to some of the infections that can be passed on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now