ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

A campaign to make "meet with" a capital offence

(8 Posts)
DreamingofSummer Fri 07-Mar-14 10:44:03

Would anyone like to join me on this?

Why use two words when one is good enough?

ShanghaiDiva Fri 07-Mar-14 10:46:57

Happy to join you on this, but only if "come over to mine" is also a capital offence.
"mine" - wtf?

ShatnersBassoon Fri 07-Mar-14 10:57:05

I'm going to meet David on Monday.
I'm going to meet with David on Monday.

I think these could mean slightly different things. I might have missed your point.

HoratiaDrelincourt Fri 07-Mar-14 11:09:03

"meet up with" is already distinct from "meet" which implies "for the first time".

DreamingofSummer Fri 07-Mar-14 11:31:23

Shatner

On Monday I am going to be in the same room as Mary to have a discussion. In other words "I will meet Mary." The horrible common usage is "I will meet with Mary"

I don't know of any context where "meet with" is necessary or desirable

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 07-Mar-14 16:31:15

In US English, "meet" usually means for the first time as in "I'd like to meet Ewan McGregor"; "meet with" usually means a meeting with someone you already know and normally in a work seeting, although I might say to a friend "I'll meet you at the restaurant at noon." We don't normally say "meet up with." If we see someone we know unexpectedly, we would likely say "I ran into Janet at the grocery store."

procrastinatingagain Fri 07-Mar-14 16:33:42

Is meet with a bit different because it implies a business type meeting? And meet is more like a first time meeting?

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 07-Mar-14 16:42:30

setting, not seeting blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now