Who or whom? "They are a team from whom we will be collecting 3 points"

(11 Posts)
Pan Tue 12-Nov-13 13:07:51

is this acceptable please? <winces in prep. for a big fat 'no'>

Good thing you're not relying on me as I'd have said "They are a team from which we will be collecting 3 points" smile

Pan Tue 12-Nov-13 13:15:49

Could be both? <desperate>

SconeRhymesWithGone Tue 12-Nov-13 17:13:39

In your construction, it would definitely be "whom" over "who," but I might go with "which" as well, although I think you could use either (who/whom refers to people; which/that to things, but a team is a collection of people as well as a thing).

I think your construction is a bit awkward, though, and it sounds more awkward to my ear with "which" for some reason. I would say : "They are a team we will be collecting 3 points from." And yes, it is ok to end a sentence with a preposition.

Just a warning: I am American; I think what I have said also conforms to British usage, but I am not certain.

PiratePanda Tue 12-Nov-13 17:30:11

Who replaces they and whom replaces them. Split it into two sentences to see which is correct: "They are a team. We will be collecting from them" - ergo "whom".

Because of the complicating factor of team, however, from which is also ok.

We will be collecting 3 points from this team. grin

Pan Tue 12-Nov-13 19:54:21

I think Scones and Pirate you are right, only for the reason that you agree with me and explain why....thank you. Yes it sounds quite convoluted and which/who would be just as well.

Miranda - next time def.smile

extracrunchy Tue 12-Nov-13 19:58:17

Whom or which (but then you need "it's a team" instead of "they" I think..?)

SconeRhymesWithGone Tue 12-Nov-13 20:10:08

I think extra has a good point. By using "they" you are emphasizing the people in the team and thus whom would be better than which.

ancientbuchanan Tue 12-Nov-13 20:13:08

I would use It's and which, myself. A team is a concept not a person it persons. Or you could say, they form a team from which...

ancientbuchanan Tue 12-Nov-13 20:14:34

Or, dammit, not it. Phone, predictive text. Bah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now