gif is pronounced "jif" says creator

(10 Posts)
Euphemia Wed 22-May-13 21:11:52

My arse.

I don't care what he says - jif is something you clean the floor with.

G for Graphics, so it has to be gif, whatever he says!

jif = cif = "chif", I think....

Jif is jif no matter what fancy rebranding they come up with, just like I still eat Opal Fruits and Marathons... wink

I think it was originally gif-pronounced-jif as a nod to the US peanut butter brand which is apparently a staple food source for computer programmers. I think I'll find it impossible not to use the hard g I'm afraid, but if I ever meet the developer I promise to say it his way. grin

somebloke123 Thu 23-May-13 12:05:00

Hard g I think or it spoils the adage "Beware of geeks bearing gifs".

WMittens Thu 23-May-13 20:52:03

I'll agree if everyone starts calling gifts, 'jifts' - until then, it's gif.

It doesn't even matter what the gif creator thinks, seeing as pings are so much better.

BreconBeBuggered Thu 30-May-13 00:00:42

I compromise by never ever saying it out loud.

plainjaney Fri 31-May-13 14:59:27

Bah. I studied Graphic Design for my Degree and Gif was universally a Gif. As it stands for Graphics Interchange Format I'll stick with a Gif, a Jif is a bloody lemon.

I can imagine the hysterics that would ensue in design agencies all over the UK were people to start referring to them as Jifs. grin

ChewingOnLifesGristle Fri 31-May-13 15:03:33

But Jif is now Cif (pronounced Siff? I'm never sure). Why did they change it fgs?

Gif is gif, not jif. The world's gorn mad.

PipkinsPal Fri 31-May-13 15:06:29

But then you have Jillian and Gillian both pronounced with a J. confused But I agree gif is with a gee.

jif is chiff - I think it was always spelt "Cif" in the rest of Europe, but they didn' think we could cope grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now