Seed change or Sea Change?

(9 Posts)

It's a beautiful expression from The Tempest - Ferdinand's father died in a storm at sea, and Ariel sings a song to comfort him, telling him that his body has been changed by the sea into a beautiful and precious object. So it refers to a gradual change, where the form's the same, but the substance is different (and maybe more precious and beautiful?):
""Full fathom five thy father lies,
Of his bones are coral made,
Those are pearls that were his eyes,
Nothing of him that doth fade,
But doth suffer a sea-change,
into something rich and strange,"

Pretty, innit? grin

...and so a bit disappointing when people use it to refer to something being 'a bit different'.

somebloke123 Mon 04-Feb-13 13:57:48

Yes sea change. I think it's Shakespearian - from The Tempest IIRC.

somebloke123 Mon 04-Feb-13 13:57:33

Yes sea change. I think it's Shakespearian - from The Tempest IIRC.

cumfy Sat 02-Feb-13 00:32:05

I think you must work in a nursery.grin

SoniaGluck Fri 01-Feb-13 18:30:21

Ellen I wouldn't really be surprised if I did hear someone say seed change since I have heard of people being put on pedal stools and that things are part of the course. grin It's just I never have.

It's easy enough to mishear and, if you never see the word / phrase written down, you might never realise that you've got it wrong.

Virgil Fri 01-Feb-13 18:08:51

Never ever heard seed change. It's definitely sea change.

EllenRose Fri 01-Feb-13 18:08:04

You'd be amazed SoniaGluck , which is why I questioned it because I have heard it so often grin - but then I also work with many who use pacifically too!

SoniaGluck Fri 01-Feb-13 13:51:08

As far as I know, it is definitely sea change as in Elizabeth Jane Howard's novel.

To be honest, I have never heard anyone say seed change.

EllenRose Fri 01-Feb-13 10:51:44

At work I hear people using each version to describe required change but which is correct? blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now