It's CUE. Not que. Unless its queue. Its never que though.

(716 Posts)
EleanorGiftbasket Fri 07-Dec-12 14:31:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Mon 10-Dec-12 06:11:09

Oh well. I think laughing at other people's mistakes is funny, and so do other people, I did not invent Mrs Malaprop.

And if you think someone like me is a sneering vile twat you may be right I am not the only one. For every tosser like me mocking a 'would of' on an internet forum, there is going to be someone a lot more important than me judging a 'would of' on a job application letter or similar. So shite like this does matter.

And it's a bit touching to bring up the fact you were on the top set at school, brandy. Because that means a LOT when you're an adult.

<Goes and sits in cunty corner>

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Mon 10-Dec-12 06:13:00

Oh and fortnight - apparently americans don't use that term, they just say 2 weeks (apparently).

In French there is a term quinzaine, which means 15 days. Which to me seems a pointless period of time to specifically name but there you are.

FivesGoldNorks Mon 10-Dec-12 06:54:18

that's really weird
I'm going to invent the Norkight, which is a period from 9am on Monday morning, to 4pm on the following Thursday. Just because.

FellatioNelson Mon 10-Dec-12 07:07:43

The thing is Brandy, no-one has said that they 'measure someone's worth' as a human being by the standard of their written English, and no-one has said that they believe themselves to be superior or more intelligent (although I suspect that on the whole they probably are more intelligent, though not always; it's not as simple as that, as most people will acknowledge.)

Neither do they think they are a 'better person' by dint of being able to spell and punctuate correctly. I suspect the only thing people genuinely believe is that (dyslexia excepted) they are perhaps better educated and/or just have more exacting standards.

In my case that is certainly not true about being better educated, and I'm no IQ genius either, so why am I a bit of a pedant? Because communicating well is important to me - it's just about the only thing I do well, and I am a perfectionist. I don't know everything and I still make mistakes, but I listen and I remember and I learn. I have read a great deal over the years and if I see a word (let's use the yours/your's thing as an example) repeatedly used in the correct context then I notice when it is used in the incorrect context, and I am always a bit confused by people who neither notice nor seem to care.

Eleanor explained the yours/your's rule about contractions and possessives to you upthread, but you clearly ignored it because you made the same mistake in your next post. You are so bogged down in your belief that people are out to belittle you that you would rather persist in being wrong, and angry with us for being right, than in learning to be right. That's fine - I don't care. But I don't need to care, because I am not being held back in life because of it.

But since you brought up 'measuring worth' let's measure worth. A good PA (for example) is worth a whole heap more in monetary terms than a good shop assistant or a good care worker or a good cleaner. Why? Because a good PA has excellent communication skills both written and spoken. He/she can be relied upon to communicate in a professional, accurate and non-ambigious way that will not embarrass or misrepresent the company he/she works for.

Now, of course they will be plenty of cleaners and shop assistants etc. who also have excellent written and spoken English, but they don't necessarily need it to do their jobs well. It is not an important skill for that role and not worth paying extra for. Which is fine, if you love that work, and don't really care about being on minimum wage for the rest of your life, with no career progression, but if you DO care, and you have a reasonably sharp mind and good articulation of thought (which you do) then you owe it to yourself to listen and learn, and brush up your written skills. You can bang on all you like about how it shouldn't matter, we're only chatting on a forum, yada yada, and how it has nothing to do with your level of intelligence, but all the while potential employers suspect it might you are under-selling yourself - because of what? Dogged stubbornness and inverted snobbery? I've read loads of your posts on many topics. I know you are articulate, I know you are not stupid, but you are blinkered and defensive.

Honestly - it's not that hard. Mastering the most important basics of punctuation and grammar can be done in a week if you make the effort. But you'd rather put all your energies into frothing about the conspiracy of superior poshos trying to do you down.

Incidentally, I once had a 'New Home' card from a lovely friend who wrote 'I hope your be very happy in your new house'. grin

FellatioNelson Mon 10-Dec-12 07:09:37

there will be

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Mon 10-Dec-12 07:19:26

Wonderful post Fell

FellatioNelson Mon 10-Dec-12 07:30:43

Thank you. <takes sweeping bow>

EleanorGiftbasket Mon 10-Dec-12 07:30:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usualsocksprezzie Mon 10-Dec-12 07:37:08

Is it Ok to rip the piss out of the posters this thread then?

usualsocksprezzie Mon 10-Dec-12 07:38:09

<Flexes chip>

GrimAndHumourlessAndEven Mon 10-Dec-12 07:44:17

How could one NOT snurkle at pedal stool or chester draws?

FellatioNelson Mon 10-Dec-12 07:45:35

It's not ok to rip the piss out of anyone directly, usual, on any thread, unless they are being wankers.

But I do not believe that happened on this thread. It was all very light-hearted and harmless; nobody was mentioned specifically or by name, no actual person was insulted or humiliated. Until Brandy arrived and started insulting people directly.grin

Even then her mistakes were ignored for the most part. It was only when she persisted in being argumentative that someone caved.

usualsocksprezzie Mon 10-Dec-12 07:51:23

I only got involved when a poster ripped Brandys post to bits.

Anyway I haven't got time for this now, I have to go and do my menial job wink

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Mon 10-Dec-12 08:07:04

I don't think I ripped her post to bits, laughed at a possibly strategically placed would of though.

I did put a pass agg smily in there though, but don't blame me, it's that bonsoir's fault.

I couldn't give a fig whether someone can't spell. I think it's daft to state categorically that not being able to spell and punctuate doesn't matter and doesn't impact RL. The world is full of people who will judge you on basic errors.

MothershipG Mon 10-Dec-12 08:18:30

I was reading this thread with amusement last night and was a bit confused at how it all went so pear-shaped and was trying to work out how I could express what Felatio has put in such a brilliantly erudite manner. Especially at 7 in the morning! Whose thought processes are that clear that early? wink

(If this was FB I could have just clicked the 'Like' button, much quicker.)

usualsocksprezzie Mon 10-Dec-12 08:19:38

I'm over it now,and posting from my BB on the bus while listening to some teenager playing Gangnam style on his phone.So this post will probably be unreadable.

allthatglittersisnotgold Mon 10-Dec-12 08:23:57

A lady I know says were in place of we'll, for example.... Were have to go for a drink. Arrrgh, that one hurts so much, she doesn't even manage we're!!

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Mon 10-Dec-12 08:24:41

I was on the train a few weeks ago and some kid got on the quiet carriage and played Dr Dre at 90 decibels. I asked him ever so nicely if he could turn it down a bit and he told me to fuck off.

So I have gone back to being british about it and just roll my eyes and tut under my breath.

Bloody sodding godforsaken trains. I am on one now and its bloody freezing.

Dawndonna Mon 10-Dec-12 09:04:47

Brilliant post, Fellatio.

Allthat is she from Norfolk?

FellatioNelson Mon 10-Dec-12 09:18:33

Mother I live abroad and I am three hours ahead of you, but thank you anyway. grin

allthatglittersisnotgold Mon 10-Dec-12 09:44:20

Kent I think, it's a far reaching problem it seems!

TrillsCarolsOutOfTune Mon 10-Dec-12 09:51:36

Shhh Fellatio - pretend that you are just super incisive early in the morning!

Dawndonna Mon 10-Dec-12 10:30:47

Obviously is, Allthat. Or should that be obliviously?
wink

Amytheflag Mon 10-Dec-12 10:52:48

Awe sad it looks like I'm to late too join in now its all gone tits up sad

Wot Fellatio sed!

Serious so of these mistakes really matter and can completely change the meaning of a sentence.
For example
These actions affect the contractual terms.
These actions effect the contractual terms.

Change one letter and the whole meaning is substantially different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now