What's the most embarassing thing your parents used to do when you were a kid that you swore you wouldn't do to your kids?

(76 Posts)
paddyclamp Fri 21-Sep-07 12:57:52

My mum used to correct my speech ALL the time, like "it's GOING TO, not GONNA" or "RUNNINGGGG not RUNNIN". It used to really piss me off esp as we were northerners but when she did it in front of my mates was doubly annoying.

My kids have freedom of speech!

canmummy Fri 21-Sep-07 12:59:05

Dress me and my brother the same hmm

TigerFeet Fri 21-Sep-07 13:00:08

My MIL used to spit on a hanky and use it to clean his face... he tells me off when I do that to dd because he hated it! (It is a bit minging though, I will admit)

TigerFeet Fri 21-Sep-07 13:00:38

clean dh's face. obv.

DANCESwithTheMorningOff Fri 21-Sep-07 13:01:13

My mum told my GCSE art teacher she thought I had a little crush on him...while I was there! I was mortified. I won't be doing that to my children...

pyjamagirl Fri 21-Sep-07 13:01:13

YES MY MUM USED TO CORRECT ME ALL THE TIME TOO GRRR

fizzbuzz Fri 21-Sep-07 13:25:48

Saying "stop showing off" I say this to naughty Y7,s and they HATE it, and immediately behave themselves grin

hotcrossbunny Fri 21-Sep-07 13:30:39

Dress me in really untrendy clothes. She was obsessed with me dressing 'like a young lady'.I look back and she chose mini versions of clothes she would wearsad
Dd wears what her friends wear - apart from obviously tarty stuff she can wear what she likes.

AuntJetPetunia Fri 21-Sep-07 13:39:42

My mum wanted to keep me a "little girl" so was really funny when I wanted to shave my legs for the first time and get a bra. It embarrassed me. I'm really going to make a conscious effort to be more approachable on these subjects. (Other than that my mum was pretty much perect, so I really shouldn't moan!)

edam Fri 21-Sep-07 13:42:40

Hanky spit thing was horrid. I have had to do it once but I hope never again.

Insisting I wore Clarks T-bar shoes even at high school. Will not be doing that to ds.

Cappuccino Fri 21-Sep-07 13:45:04

my friend's mum once picked us up from school in her underskirt

friend was mortified

looking back now I think she was the coolest thing alive

francagoestohollywood Fri 21-Sep-07 13:49:08

Auntjetpetunia, are we sisters? My mum "convinced" me (I was 14) that the hair on my leg was "blond" and didn't need waxing...

BettySpaghetti Fri 21-Sep-07 13:50:29

If we were clothes shopping I would see something I liked but my Mum, handy with a sewing machine, would say "I could make that for a fraction of the price"as if something she could run up would look anything like the trendy shop version hmm.

Niecie Fri 21-Sep-07 13:51:32

My mother made me wear sensible brown lace-ups to school because you get more wear out of them. Nobody else wore them and I had a few unkind comments too.

In the end, I started changing them the minute I was out of the front door for my much nicer special occasion shoes.

I hope that I will never put my DSs in something they so actively disliked.

Spit washes are yucky though - especially when the tissue has lipstick on it. Thank goodness for the invention of wipes.

LadyOfWaffle Fri 21-Sep-07 13:51:47

Alot of "have you said thankyou?" when I had just said it - I am 21 and she still says is. THen you either say it again or say "i've already said it" and look like a wally. She swears like a trooper aswell, infront of everyone. Proper swears, I am convinced she has invented some of her own.

LadyOfWaffle Fri 21-Sep-07 13:56:57

Infact, leading on from being embarrassed as a kid, she is darn embarrassing now! When pregnant but not yet engaged, she would refer to DH (then DP) as my husband really loudly, just incase someone thought I was (god forbid hmm) a single teenage mum. She is ALWAYS going on about my weight loudly, like she is sort of apologising to everyone for it. And says loudly about owning our own house if she is say in a decorating place, just incase people dare think I live in a council house being so young. Really bugs me. AND because DS is going to a montessori she keeps sayingf "you'll have to get that weight off" "you'll have to dress smart" and no doubt she will try and muscle in and either I will have to contradict what she says, or go against my own principles of just being Me. Sorry, have ranted!

LadyOfWaffle Fri 21-Sep-07 13:57:21

*Was engaged, not yet married.

paddyclamp Fri 21-Sep-07 15:45:10

My mum was also a pain over what I wore. "You not walking round town with me if you look like a tramp!". They had no idea that generation! wink

DANCESwithTheMorningOff Fri 21-Sep-07 15:46:08

HA! Lady Waffle, if I had a sister I'd think you were her, your mum sounds alot like mine!

ScottishMummy Fri 21-Sep-07 15:52:14

spitting on a hanky and cleaning my face with it - eeuuuhhh manky saliva covered hanky dragged across face in misguided attempt at cleaning. hence i always have baby wipes - no hankie/spit combowink

cluelessnchaos Fri 21-Sep-07 15:53:27

My dad used to make me lie about my age and say I was younger so he would pay less t get in anywhere, I was scard shitless that I was going too bethrown off a bus or out of a restaurant, flipped at him when I hard he ahd done the same to my kids at London Zoo

ScottishMummy Fri 21-Sep-07 15:54:06

oh and "dont sit on the stonestep ye will get a chill"- mmmmmmm how sohmm now i sit about everywhere, no chills to datewink

InMyHumbleOpinion Fri 21-Sep-07 15:55:09

take the piss out of me to make my friends laugh

my mum made me me wear the most hideous shoes and clothes and get cross with me when i asked for different ones. i got picked on mercilessly because of these fucking black lace up shoes she made me wear.right up until i was about 14 and my big sister bought me a pair of proper teenage girlsshoes. i loved my sister for that.

talking in a loud voice about buying a bra for me when i was about 11 and making me die with shame.

if we were out in a shop or something and the service was bad she would talk about it in a really loud uptight voice and i would just cringe.

i will be doing a lot of things differently with my kids.

Yorkshirepudding Fri 21-Sep-07 15:57:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now