what age did you stop using a baby monitor in the night?

(34 Posts)
croquet Wed 15-Jan-14 22:43:23

I can't tell if we are normal or ultra paranoid!

IdaClair Wed 15-Jan-14 22:43:56

I never have

HenriettaPie Wed 15-Jan-14 22:45:48

I'm still using them on my 3 yo...however I have been told that's totally ridiculous blush

Used for the first week in her own room (she was 6mo) .

Kept them for when we go on holiday (rent self catering cottages and never know if I will be able to hear her stone walls etc(.

She is two.now.

Skiingmaniac Wed 15-Jan-14 22:47:56

During the night....after about a week....I could hear them without it loudly enough thanks!
During the day at home - probably 4/5 months
During the day at other peoples houses....like a nap during a Sunday lunch or suchlike....about 8/9 months

TheGreatHunt Wed 15-Jan-14 22:49:56

Mine are 4&3. Still use one! (they share a room).

DS is 13 months, we use ours every night. Habit I suppose!

TheGreatHunt Wed 15-Jan-14 22:51:04

I will add, we have thick walls and wouldn't hear the night time calls for a wee or poo/sick accidents without it.

Em2010 Wed 15-Jan-14 22:52:06

Used it with ds for 2 1/2 years. Used it with dd for about 2 1/2 weeks. Second baby syndrome... Poor lass!
There's no right or wrong though just whatever you feel comfortable with.

ChippingInWadesIn Wed 15-Jan-14 22:52:58

I don't think 'age' is that relevant (well - as long as they're not teenagers grin). It depends on the layout of your house, the thickness of the walls and the nature of your children smile Some kids are shouters, some will happily come and find you, others will just lie and cry quietly... you know your house & your kids.

Beamur Wed 15-Jan-14 22:53:02

I didn't need one, sound carries well in my house. Use it as long as you want to.

Fairylea Wed 15-Jan-14 22:53:22

Ds is 19 months and we use ours every night from when he goes to bed till the morning. We couldn't hear him otherwise ! Well we could if he literally wailed but I wouldn't want him to have to get to that point.

With dd I stopped at about 3/4 when she could come and find us easily herself.

Only1scoop Wed 15-Jan-14 22:53:38

Still use ours dd 3.5

Only1scoop Wed 15-Jan-14 22:54:25

Feeling less paranoid now i hope op wink

MissPryde Wed 15-Jan-14 22:55:16

I think as long as they're in a crib rather than a toddler bed, and can't come get you.

Or if they're the type to lay in their toddler bed and holler rather than climb out as you know they are capable of doing...

And of course it depends on how thin your walls are, how spirited your child is, etc.

17leftfeet Wed 15-Jan-14 22:57:59

Never used one -3 story house but never had a problem hearing them

MerylStrop Wed 15-Jan-14 22:58:17

….about 10 days when we realised
1. that we had accidentally broken the one that the neighbours had lent us
2. the child was obviously going co-sleep until he was 3

IdaClair Wed 15-Jan-14 22:58:30

I suppose it depends on house layout. We've had three houses since dc, two 3 bed semi style so babies either in our room or just next door, and the one we have now where they are at the other end of a long corridor with two closed doors in between us. We used one with dc1 after she started going to bed on her own in the evening and we wanted the telly on downstairs, so from about 5 months to 9 months but never at night, then it mouldered In a drawer for dc2 who shared our room until 11 months, and I defy anyone to sleep through the volume of an 11 month old even down the hall !

Biscuitsneeded Wed 15-Jan-14 22:59:11

Never started!

croquet Wed 15-Jan-14 23:00:41

feeling less paranoid yes thank you! DD only just over 1. In the summer when we sleep with doors open I think I will turn it off, but it feels wrong to have her door closed and no monitor. DH thinks it's nuts though.

RayPurchase Wed 15-Jan-14 23:01:09

About 2 1/2 - only because we moved into a house so tiny I can hear him snoring in the bedroom when I am in the kitchen!
I was/am a very paranoid mama though blush

OrganixAddict Wed 15-Jan-14 23:01:22

We've never had one, but our house is some kind of weird sound tunnel. There is literally nowhere in it you cannot hear our kids if they are crying, so a monitor seemed a bit redundant.

If I needed one to hear them, would probably use it for Dc3 (3yo) still as I get called in the night for help with wees.

DS1 is 3.6 and we now use it as more of an intercom. We're in a townhouse with four floors so there is no chance a shout can be heard. He chats to us over it the morning to tell us he's not allowed to get up yet.

Personal choice and house and child dependent I think.

Alanna1 Wed 15-Jan-14 23:16:06

We stopped with our eldest (tall narrow house) when she was sleeping in a big girl's bed and we no longer used stair gates.

MiaowTheCat Thu 16-Jan-14 08:57:58

I use the video one still -but with two sharing a room I want to be able to keep an eye on incidents till they're old enough to tell tales on each other! Plus the voice of god from the talkback mode is still amusingly effective "get back to bed" = duck and cover instantly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now