Do you ask people to wash their hands before holding baby?

(84 Posts)
Lostinspace1 Mon 16-Sep-13 12:58:35

Just curious as I've read a couple of threads about people putting their fingers in baby's mouths...ew.

According to NHS guidelines its reasonable to ask people to wash their hands before handing a newborn, so it's something I can imagine asking my family...bit trickier with family-in law though...

Also, when is it ok for people to not wash their hands before holding baby? A month later, after the baby has built up a bit of an immune system?

MoominsYonisAreScary Wed 18-Sep-13 12:46:17

No, not even when touching my prem ones. Noone has ever tried to put a finger in any of their mouths though

NoComet Wed 18-Sep-13 12:48:45

NO!

oohdaddypig Wed 18-Sep-13 13:23:30

Because that person will just have arrived in the house/blown their toddlers nose etc. if everyone wahes their hands before touching the newborn then there is less chance the baby gets sick.

I guess it's the same as washing your hands before dinner etc... Less chance of consuming daily grime!

LifeofPo Wed 18-Sep-13 13:27:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Badvoc Wed 18-Sep-13 13:29:27

No.
I did insist on no smoking though.

oohdaddypig Wed 18-Sep-13 13:33:36

LifeofPo grin

matana Wed 18-Sep-13 15:05:42

Never did i think that a MN thread such as this would prove so divisive! Honestly, i had never even heard of people asking others to wash their hands before holding a baby (unless in SCBU)! I must clearly have led a sheltered life. Or my family and everyone i am surrounded by are a bunch of filthy, careless monkeys. Perhaps so, as we also go by the 3 second rule in this house, providing the food hasn't landed in something really disgusting like wee, poo or vomit. shock

MyNameIsAnAnagram Wed 18-Sep-13 15:20:03

No, and I've never been asked to either.

MyNameIsAnAnagram Wed 18-Sep-13 15:22:47

Ps fingers in mouths don't bother mr either, babies love a good suck or chew on a fingersmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now