Further freakingly fantabulous adventures of the 40+ Mummies

(1000 Posts)
10000Fireflies Thu 17-Jan-13 20:13:44

For gorgeous, frolicking and fabulous 40-somethings to share the joys of becoming a Mummy, just a little bit later than most!! grin. Park your zimmer-frame next to your baby buggy, put your feet up, and come and join us in the snug.

littleredmonkey Thu 31-Jan-13 03:01:38

I want some sugar. Only sugar I got yesterday was 5 yes I said 5 tick tacks. Bloody extremely low carb diet. Doing exercises every day is killing me with little sleep. Bugger I really want cheese cake now.

bytheseaside Thu 31-Jan-13 08:05:43

oh lrm you are being so hard on yourself! don't want to be devil in your ear but could you let yourself go a little slower? hv told me to have mainly carbs when bf, but think this was because of colic/ reflux and she prob meant brown rice not hobnobs ... no idea how you are managing to diet, im sooo hungry, especially on the tired days, and craving exclusively high fat/carbs/sugar foods.

bytheseaside Thu 31-Jan-13 08:06:45

sorry, will cut back on cheesecake chat, must be torment!

eagleray Thu 31-Jan-13 08:15:35

Morning - quick hello from me - promise to try and catch up soon. - we got from hosp yesterday pm after hideous feeding probs. baby Eagleray then proceeded to act like she knew how to do it all along and now won't stop.

She also says she would like to stay but can I bloody hurry up and give her a name. Have uploaded a pic for you

Waves to all - will speak to you all properly soon xx

littleredmonkey Thu 31-Jan-13 09:02:49

Bythesea. I am my worst enemy. I do have carbs. Brown rice and sweet potatoes. Not hob bobs. I have nothing in the house so no temptations in any form. I want to ne slimmer and fitter for my little fella so I can run around with him. Plus I was so fat two years ago size 22 after stopping smoking and was very disappointed I got back to that size. I am having more carbs then before as bf and I need to be sure Dylan is getting everything he needs. Ps thanks for caring

bytheseaside Thu 31-Jan-13 17:10:06

eagle superb work with the feeding!! it does often seem to take a while, then you're off! clever baby eagle. how do we get to your photo?

lrm blush sorry was interfering. am in awe of your Will power. am sitting in cafe and won't even tell you what i have just eaten ... brisk walk home for me!

eagleray Thu 31-Jan-13 17:19:28

Sorry - photo now available (really)

Also spoke too soon with the feeding - she has struggled again today and just discovered she has lost 12% of her body weight and possibly has tongue tie. We are now on emergency measures to stop having to be readmitted and I feel like the pits as too sore, sick and tired to do much. Trying to be philosophical about everything that's happened since last saturday but am pretty upset really.

No name for baby yet - thank god we have a good few weeks yet to sort it out as feel too sad/tired to do it.

Baby eagle is gorgeous! A little philosopher with beautiful dark hair.
Sorry to hear about feeding difficulties. You have my absolute sympathy - lots of hugs and virtual handholding.

bytheseaside Thu 31-Jan-13 18:32:11

aaah gorgeous baby eagle! hugs for mum. you are prob getting everyone showering you with advise about feeding im no expert but had lots of excellent help myself so know where to find it if you are stuck.

we took ages to chose name, don't let anyone rush you - baby doesn't care!

littleredmonkey Thu 31-Jan-13 19:17:57

Baby eagle is a cutie. Bless her and mummy eagle. Dont you worry honey everything will be fine. Ask the midwifes for all the help you need. Take your time. I stayed in hospital a couple of days extra so I got the help Dylan and I needed. I did not want to be re admitted same as you. There is no rush to go home till you are all happy she is absolutely beautiful. Xxxxxxxx

Bythesea. Oh you are so not interfering honey. I value what you think. Also now dont you dare hold back on what u had to eat honey. I so want to know. I took the evening off exercising. I did have an hours walk earlier. I felt like I needed a break today. .

littleredmonkey Thu 31-Jan-13 19:21:12

Oh went nuts today and had no tick tacks. Friend came over and we went for a walk ended up in village cafe and she had chocolate cake and I was good and had some air oh and a cup of tea. My issue is if I have a little I have a lot so I have nothing till Saturday is cheat night. Domino pizza and muffin. Can't wait

Midgetm Thu 31-Jan-13 22:35:10

Just a quick one for Eagle. Master midge dropped over 10% and all the HCP's with their scales and charts freaked. Anyways, he started to put it on in his own sweet time and is now almost chubby. Try not to Let the scale police get to you. X

10000Fireflies Fri 01-Feb-13 09:24:49

Eagle she is gorgeous. I want a little pink one like her too!! Good luck with the feeding. I am sure you will get it sorted soon enough. We has similar issues with BFF (he dropped 9%) and it really pissed me off that they were so hung up on it when I was ready to go home and he was clearly feeding ok.

I am sure you will get it sorted. If it is a tongue-tie then they are not as awful to deal with as you would imagine. Baby in my nct group had it. Was sorted at home. Baby barely noticed. Mummy was way more upset!

Good luck. Big hugs and a lovely gentle one for baby Eagle. xx

10000Fireflies Fri 01-Feb-13 09:33:56

Aquilina - Russian from the Latin Aquila meaning "eagle". Just in case you're really stuck. grin

blueblackdye Fri 01-Feb-13 09:52:16

Eagle, I was told that BF babies take more time to put on weight, don't worry too much, you will get there. If tongue tie, well, just need it to be fixed. Try to enjoy baby Eagle, the first days are endlessly long, I remember the second I got home I called HV to know what I should do !!! Felt so illiterate re baby care. But I miss the days, strangely enough when newborn is against you, sleeping in your arms.
She is beautiful, Eagle. And this shadow of a smile on her face, so cheeky already...
Anastasia is back on her normal sleep pattern after a few days. I managed to get breakfast thismorning with DH and DS, not that I needed it. Ate so much yesterday, really thought I would explode, had to walk around the village a few times to feel comfy. I just love dried fruits here, raisins, figues. Oranges and clementines are sweet and juicy. Baklawa are not as good as Lebanese ones, thanks God ! weather is still fantastic, dry sunny bright with a lttle refreshing wind from time to time. The resort is 10% full, bliss ! We had the swimming pool for us only for 3 hours yesterday....
Have to leave, cooking lessons in 10 minutes !

BadMissM Fri 01-Feb-13 16:30:48

Eagle Baby Eagle lovely!!! DD was a breastfed baby, and she lost weight at first too. She is now humungous pretty big! I knew nothing when DD was born, and my mother was useless and in another country, MIl was a cow unhelpful...

bbd Sound like you are having a brilliant time in Marrakech!

littleredmonkey Sun 03-Feb-13 16:45:20

Eagle. How are you and baby eagle? Thinking of you. Baby monkey lost 10% body weight then two days later lost again. Thinking about it now. I had a c section my body was not ready to produce milk yet and not bottle feeding it was a no brainer. The midwifes were great and I stayed in 8 days. He is a busting 16lbs now so all will be well with baby eagle xxx

Bhb how's the sunshine in Marrakech? Thought of you today while lifting weights sweating thinking I what a holiday and why did I let myself get so fat. Lost 17 lbs so far. 49lbs more to go. It's going to be a long spring and summer of grueling exercise and salad and me saying oh I would love a biscuit but I am being good

littleredmonkey Sun 03-Feb-13 16:47:10

Ladies question.
Dylan naps every two hours are your little ones the. Same. He is 17 weeks. He drops off lovely after a minute cuddle and sleeps 30-45 mins.

Midgetm Sun 03-Feb-13 19:49:58

BBD I am so green with envy. I know you deserve it and all but I am so bloody envious. A very ugly emotion buy I really am. Oh for a bit of sun. A little bit of sunshine goes a long way

LRM midge is also on the same
Kind of schedule. Often doesnt even make it to 2 hours awake. He is basically in the eat, awake, sleep schedule which takes about 3 hours all in. Think that is pretty normal at their age. He can stay awake longer but just leads to grumpiness. Although I an also on a diet I have just eaten the most enormous roast dinner (slow roasted pork and crackling - lots of crackling, ouch on the scales). Also just about to dish up homemade tarte au citron. I am shit at dieting and breastfeeding. How you getting on Eagle?

eagleray Sun 03-Feb-13 23:16:34

Hello - finally managed to get 5 minutes to use the laptop (being held hostage by Baby Eagle tonight)

These last few days have been really hard, but think we are turning a bit of a corner now. We were given a relentless feeding regime to get her weight back up - BF, then expressing, then formula top-up, every 3 hours (I don't need to explain to anyone how long this takes to do do I!). But it did pay off, and her weight has increased more than enough to appease MWs, docs etc.

On Friday she had her tongue tie cut - it was found to be quite severe so rather curious as to how this was missed given there was about 500 people in the hospital offering their differing advice on how to feed her (and making me feel increasingly wretched). Things have improved since then, but still having to express, FF etc for the time being. Will be really glad to ditch this off as will cut in half the amount of time it takes to feed her!

We have probably had too many visitors, but didn't see how we could get out of it (and had 8 today, in 3 batches) but really hope we have some quiet time this coming week as even if people visit for an hour, it has a huge disruptive impact on feeding regime.

I don't feel as depressed now, thank goodness, although last night was awful as I was in so much pain and also too tired to wake the baby properly to be fed. She also has an alarming tendency to roll out of her cot (Baby Bay) and I nearly had a heart attack the night before last when I woke to an empty cot, then after frantic searching I found her lying next to me...

She is an utter joy though, and am finding the time to actually laugh at her now, her silly noises, the different facial expressions, and the invisible clarinet playing thing she does with her hands.

Thanks to all of you for your support and sympathy, and also for admiring her! I hope to be back in the land of the living soon, and to catch up on all your posts x

PS today have bought one of those ugly baby feeding rocking chairs off Ebay, after vowing I would never have anything like that in the house. That was before someone cut my bottom off and stitched it back on again and now I am just obsessed with anything that will ease my pain.

littleredmonkey Mon 04-Feb-13 08:51:55

Eagle. Sounds like you are positive and ready for everything baby eagle is going well. I know how you feel I had the same routine of feeding. Look after yourself and your precious cargo. Haha. Dont lose her! !! Hugs to all. I banded visitors except a few as exhausting with feeding. When are you going home?

littleredmonkey Mon 04-Feb-13 08:54:45

Midget. Thanks honey. Does baby m need rocking to sleep for day naps? We tried him in his crib in Moses basket last two nights. Also dropped dream feed as he was protesting about being woken last two weeks. He slept from 7:30 till 3:40. Had a fed and slept till 6:30. What are you doing night feeds?

blueblackdye Mon 04-Feb-13 09:57:03

Ladies, a very quick post to say I have not forgotten you, sent some sunshine back to London but not sure if the postal services are quick enough !
The main swimming pool is still being filled, it has been 2 days now so we are still using the 5* one ! Every one knows Anastasia as she is the only one to go in with her Dad !
My stomach hurts. Cramps, too many lamb chops, I presume, hum hum
Eagle, can you ask DP to tell diplomatically visitors that you need to rest ? Surely, they would understand.
LRM, yes Anastasia still needs a nap every 1h30, later leads to crankiness. I put her down 10 minutes before in her cot, she plays, chats and falls asleep on her own.
Off to watch DS on the flying trapeze, will be back later
Sending lots of warm hugs to all

eagleray Mon 04-Feb-13 10:16:55

Survived another night! Managed to be up, showered and dressed and first load of washing on by 9am this morning. Think the nice thing about washing and dressing is that it marks the end of the night, when everything is dark and scary and goes on forever. Have also managed to stick the Moby sling on (tied in a rather crappy fashion) and Baby Eagle is currently perched in there like a little monkey.

LRM - I have actually been out of hospital since 48 hours after the birth - discharged myself as couldn't stand it any longer. Although it has been hard at home, I am really glad I did as I have had much more consistent support within the community.

BBD - your holiday sounds lovely! So glad you are having some nice time relaxing in the sun. There are no visitors today, which is a bit of a relief! Got to keep on top of the feeds and also find time to rest. I've got a couple of neighbours who are very good friends and they each left gifts of home-cooked pizza and cakes at my door yesterday, which was just amazing. DP wanted to share them which really infuriated me as he hasn't been that brilliant at making sure there is food in the house - I'm such a meanie...

littleredmonkey Mon 04-Feb-13 12:00:53

Eagle. Sounds like you have fab friends so glad you are home x

Bhb. How did you get Anastasia to self settle. He will do it at night after a feed but I have to rock him to sleep in the day. Any tips you Sun kissed goddess! !

This thread is not accepting new messages.