God, why are some mums so bloody dull??

(273 Posts)
allgonebellyup Wed 13-Jun-07 16:01:34

Just need to rant..all the playground/toddler grp conversations seem to revolve around:

- washing,washing machines breaking etc
- does my daughter love ballet, or would she rather do modern? or tap? Oh its so hard to decide, i dont know what to choose,hmm, oh its such a rush after school getting to all these places, blardy blah..
- are you preparing recipes for the school cook book? (er, no)
- OOh are you going to the PTA meeting after school, theyre talking about the new fences that are being put up (yeah like i care!)
-my husband thinks our new 4X4 isnt big enough for the kids, we only have one child but oh we really do need more space..so we have to buy the hugest fukking land rover we can find in london
-we tried to get ds to sleep at 7.15 last night but he was cranky and didnt drop off til 7.30 so i didnt have time to get all my ironing done..blardy blaardy bores...

Does my head in!! dont they have any interests? any ideas of what is happening in the rest of the world? no jobs to go to, or issues to focus on????

SueBaroo Wed 13-Jun-07 21:47:20

lulu, wotcha sayin'?

Mrscarrot Wed 13-Jun-07 21:45:01

It is possible to drop off/collect your child from school, smile politely, and not engage with people.

It sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder to me.

SueBaroo Wed 13-Jun-07 21:42:15

And you know what? If you met me at the school gate, you'd never guess... *tee hee*

lulumama Wed 13-Jun-07 21:41:17

<<cleak>>

littlelapin Wed 13-Jun-07 21:39:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SueBaroo Wed 13-Jun-07 21:36:45

littlelapin, I know There just isn't a box marked crazy fundy ex-cage-dancer with a history of cross-dressing blokes, is there?

littlelapin Wed 13-Jun-07 21:27:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TranquilaManana Wed 13-Jun-07 20:34:47

SueBaroo Wed 13-Jun-07 20:32:28

yep, I did say that it takes time to find a niche you fit with when you become a mum.

I imagine the reaction might have been slightly less abrasive if AGBU hadn't started with such a stonkingly in yer face post, but you know what, she prolly wouldn't have got the size and sheer enthusiasm of response either. And the 'no jobs to go to' did threaten to turn the thread een a certain direction...

My tranny ex-boyfriend nicked my only Ibiza CD. Bitch.

TranquilaManana Wed 13-Jun-07 20:26:04

i feel quite sorry for the hapless agbu here...
still, nothing like mn for telling the awful truth in a hundred eloquent ways

fwiw, i do get that 'dont know where i belong' thing. but you know what? i think its pretty universal. i dont think theres a single one of us gave birth to our pfb's, went to sleep and woke up A Mum. i realised i was expecting some sort of miraculous change at a molecular level or something, like sopmeone would re-load my harddrive with the right software for this lark while i slept... i think maybe you are under same illusion perhaps??

(ps, i spent 2 whole summers in ibiza. i literally never bring it up as small talk. mostly coz i think it will be received as 'im a blinkin drug addled dull as dishwater shallow brainless bimbo'. which isnt strictly true, but there you go.)

TheDaVinciCod Wed 13-Jun-07 20:05:53

lol

lorca Wed 13-Jun-07 20:05:39

I'm going to talk to somebody else..... [flounces off]

DaphneHarvey Wed 13-Jun-07 19:59:00

OP - why on earth don't you seek out the younger mums to talk to? I would die of boredom if someone wanted to chat to me about their girlie holiday in Ibiza or the tunes they listen to.

Is it possible for you to understand that people like you are deathly dull to some others, just as those others are dealthy dull to you? Or are you not wise enough to have grasped that fact yet?

nogoes Wed 13-Jun-07 19:58:52

allgonebellyup - I'm not sure we would get on very well, SIL bought her ipod over on saturday night so we could listen to some "tunes", there I am glass of wine in one hand and CD in the other hand looking for the bloody slot to stick my CD in.

Gobbledigook Wed 13-Jun-07 19:55:29

Ha ha! I mean ally, not lorca!! COme back lorca my darlink!

foxinsocks Wed 13-Jun-07 19:54:38

lol poor lorca

BaffledByBabyTights Wed 13-Jun-07 19:52:00

I agree FioFio - I am usually too busy trying to prevent toddler running front of cars, stop baby crying and listen to DS1 telling me something long and (in his opinion) crucially important in a whisper, to worry about shoring up someone else's ego. I don't really care if someone thinks my attempt at polite small talk is boring - I don't do wit at 8.30 am, much less make sure the young mother in the playground looking down her nose at me feels valued and appreciated. Mmmm - cliche coming - don't judge a book by its cover.

TheDaVinciCod Wed 13-Jun-07 19:49:01

no not oyu lorca
the original poster

lorca Wed 13-Jun-07 19:48:08

Thanks for that gob-ledegook - that was my very first message, ever. new mumsnetter. See ya.

Gobbledigook Wed 13-Jun-07 19:46:06

Read the whole thread now. It's a wind up, right?

YOu sound like a right pratt.

lorca Wed 13-Jun-07 19:37:14

twoifbysea - talking of ironing - anyone iron their knickers? I went to see a boring mum the other dy and she was ironing her kids knickers AND SOCKS!!

marthamoo Wed 13-Jun-07 19:35:41

If someone asked me what tunes I liked I'd probably say the cherry flavoured ones.

Gobbledigook Wed 13-Jun-07 19:35:12

What a delightful original post.

Parp.

FioFio Wed 13-Jun-07 19:29:19

Message withdrawn

TwoIfBySea Wed 13-Jun-07 19:25:38

Oh allgonebellyup, had you not mentioned London I would have thought you must have overheard the mum that was talking to other mums at dts school today.

All about ironing, and housework and not having any time for it (why, what are they doing? Are they really that bad at time management? No one is going to die if the ironing piles up for Gods sake!) The way they were talking I was so glad to not be included or otherwise I might have had the urge to smack my head against the glass doors!

And I've recently decided not to bother with the PSA/Parent Council anymore as it is so bloody clique that I spent the past year offering to help and being told "Oh no that is x's job."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now