How did you cope on the first day

(5 Posts)
jellymum1704 Tue 23-Aug-16 10:11:52

DS is 16 months and will start daycare full time next month. He had his first settling in session for 1 hour today. Both DH and I went along to settle him in. Although I was anxious about it I made sure I didn't show it outwards. I had a chat with her networker last week who suggested they find children might settle easier if parents leave so they can bond with their career. I took her advice and planned to hang around for about 10 minutes. DH on the other hand refused to leave andI had to drag him out 15 minutes later. I expected to feel more emotional but did not eventually although I'm keen on making sure he's eased into the routine. Didn't help that MIL and DH remarked how cool I was given it was his first day away and she kept going on about poor baby all by himself. I feel like a rather shitty mom now. Do I have to cry to show I care?

iemma321q Tue 23-Aug-16 19:59:22

I was the same as you. My 10 month old is currently getting settled in at nursery and I haven't let myself cry even when he has got upset. I just keep telling myself that crying won't help him and plus I know that nursery is going to be a fantastic place for him to be. Ignore their comments - you are doing what's best for your little one!

trilbydoll Tue 23-Aug-16 20:01:53

The first couple of says I phoned at 11am to check she was okay blush but I've never cried. If I leave them wailing I'm sprinting out, primary emotion is relief that they're someone else's problem grin

Tootsiepops Tue 23-Aug-16 20:13:07

My daughter is 9 months and will be going to nursery a half day per week starting later this week. She's had all her warm up sessions and all went ok.

I found it surprisingly easy to leave her, but I did look back through the door after I'd said goodbye and I thought just how little she is.

My circumstances are probably a bit different though as I am not going back to work so i don't have the adjustment of returning to the office to contend with alongside leaving my baby.

I feel a bit guilty about sending her but my immediate family are all dead (my mum just in April there) and I'm in a newish town where I don't know anyone.

My daughter is rather demanding and I need a break blush

Ahistorygirl Thu 25-Aug-16 21:20:19

I don't think I cried and after the first day found I took to it quite well! I do feel guilt but I also enjoy work and non baby time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now