This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Take a survey about cooking with rice and you could win £250 of John Lewis vouchers

(153 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Sep-11 10:14:41

We've been asked by Tilda to find out how you feel about cooking with rice. Please take the survey linked to below - it's open to all Mumsnetters in the UK

Everyone who takes the survey and adds their details at the end will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win £250 of John Lewis vouchers.

Here's the link

In addition, if you're interested in joining the Tilda Taste Panel please email insight@mumsnet.com and we will pass on your email address and details to the team (no obligation but you will be sent information)

Thanks
MNHQ

Lianneroll Tue 04-Oct-11 09:33:34

i clicked on link but it says survey is currently closed??!

Thumbwitch Mon 03-Oct-11 15:35:16

Oh I don't know about having shot the theory out of the water - my sister for one would be "scared" of cooking rice, pretty much as she is "scared" of cooking most things that aren't premade in a packet/easily microwaveable. I'm sure there are plenty like her around (although possibly not on MN)

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Oct-11 15:30:41

Hello. After reading some of the comments on this thread, we've been in touch with Tilda.

And they've asked us to post up this reply for them:

"Thank you to all of you who took part in our survey.

"We're sorry some of you were puzzled by the questions about cooking rice. The truth is, we've carried out lots of research into people's perceptions of rice in the past and, to our surprise, found that there are a lot of people who are 'scared' of cooking it. So, we were keen to see if this 'fear' really does hold true. Suffice to say that Mumsnetters have well and truly shot that theory out of the water!

"We're truly grateful for all the feedback you've given us – the good, the bad and the very humorous! And we're delighted to have received over 300 recipes - thank you to all those who submitted their family favourites.

"We can assure you that all of your comments have given us at Tilda plenty of food for thought."

haveyouwashedyourhands Mon 03-Oct-11 10:14:47

am I too late? I could really do with those JL vouchers!!

SpeedyGonzalez Sun 02-Oct-11 23:26:02

prettybird! I want your risotto recipe! We're having risotto this week!

rubyrubyruby Sun 02-Oct-11 21:11:52

It's closed?

Great! <<looooooosers>>

Griselda Sun 02-Oct-11 21:07:28

Shame the survey had closed by the time I got to it...I REALLY wanted to share my inability to cook rice.....

aviatrix Sun 02-Oct-11 20:55:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

i'm thinking maybe the time question was deliberately vague because they wanted everyone to get it wrong so they could say ooh market research shows that no one knows the right length of time to cook rice for and then market some idiot proof rice packaging/portioning/whatever product.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 02-Oct-11 19:06:28

nannynick

Error: Survey Closed

Does that mean Tilda are rewriting the questions?

Hello there - I have no idea I'm afraid, but I will ask someone to get back to you. Probably won't be until tomorrow though!

Thumbwitch Sun 02-Oct-11 15:23:47

Agree that the timing question was daft, as they didn't ask about type - I only usually cook with brown rice, which takes a lot longer to cook nicely! But they don't know that. Perhaps, as nannynick suggests, they have gone back and modified the questions - then what? confused - will we all be asked to go and qualify our answer to q 11?

nannynick Sun 02-Oct-11 14:23:11

Error: Survey Closed

Does that mean Tilda are rewriting the questions?

Blu Sun 02-Oct-11 14:15:03

Why are Tilda asking people for recipes for reheated rice, when re-heated rice is the kind of rice we really SHOULD be scared of?

I'm not, by the way, and we do re-heat rice, but there was a terrible outbreak of poisoning in my halls of residence when I was at uni caused by reheated rice.

(backs away from reheated rice recipes, quaking and whimpering)

I am wondering whether I have missed some hitherto unnoticed sinister aspect opf rice and whether I should develop a Rice Plan alongside our Zombie Plan?

Hullygully Sat 01-Oct-11 15:05:08

oh oh the rice rice

<moans and rocks in corner>

CointreauVersial Sat 01-Oct-11 10:01:19

What a funny survey! Visions of people cowering in terror behind their cookers as the rice comes to the boil......aaah....noooo.......grin

The question on timing was odd, as it depends totally on the type of rice and the method used.

But I never time rice, veg, pasta or anything, I just use the prod/taste test to see if it's done.

changeforthebetter Sat 01-Oct-11 09:44:06

What a strange survey. Would do anything for JL vouchers though <naice, middle-aged, middle class emoticon>

GinSlinger Sat 01-Oct-11 09:34:17

this survey is hilarious -

prettybird Sat 01-Oct-11 09:26:39

Strange survey - and agree that Q11 is a strange one. Depends on the rice you are cooking and the method type.

For the record: for basmati, my method is slightly less than 2:1 (cold) water to rice, (especially if I have had time to rinse), bring to boil, stir once, cover and simmer for 14 minutes. If the rest of the meal isn't ready then, put a teatowel in to "hold" it - also helps stop the rice sticking on the bottom. Voila, perfect rice, no panic attack confused

For risotto, I have a great microwave recipe which still takes c.25 minutes, but doesn't involve standing over the stove stirring.

JohnHemmingsPussy Sat 01-Oct-11 08:48:05

ditto parents colonies

my amah
none of this tea towel nonsense

flamingtoaster Sat 01-Oct-11 08:02:52

My MIL was taught how to cook rice by a Chinese friend. Rinse and then boil the rice for half the time. Drain and rinse again with boiling water. Put in steamer poking finger sized holes so steam can come up and steam for rest of time. Fluffy, perfect rice every time. I only use this method when entertaining because it is more time consuming - but it is totally foolproof (had to be as I only started cooking after I got married) and does guarantee perfect rice every time!

going Sat 01-Oct-11 07:44:45

I have a rice cooker, have no idea how long it takes but is always perfect. Before I had the rice cooker my rice was always a bit rubbish.

PontyMython Sat 01-Oct-11 07:18:02

Done <wants a rice cooker>

MayorNaze Sat 01-Oct-11 06:13:28

i cant cook rice for love nor money

but i really dont think i am afraid of it hmm

allhailtheaubergine Sat 01-Oct-11 05:13:36

I have a rice cooker and merrily ticked that oh no, I didn't spoil any rice, wasn't remotely scared of cooking rice etc... and then it asked how long to cook rice for. Um. Until the popper pops up? I dunno...

MrsKitty Sat 01-Oct-11 01:24:54

Love this survey - Made me smile.

My method for cooking rice:

Basmati rice

Boil kettle & half fill a pan
pour in the rice (no rinsing unless packet specifically tells me to!)
boil for 10 mins
drain in a sieve, then pour a bit of boiling water through
put drained rice back in the pan, cover with a clean teatowel, then put a lid over it. Leave for 5-10 mins
Result = perfectly fluffy rice. (The last section works well if you've overcooked the rice a bit to get rid of some of the 'clagginess')

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now