This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Take a survey about cooking with rice and you could win £250 of John Lewis vouchers

(153 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Sep-11 10:14:41

We've been asked by Tilda to find out how you feel about cooking with rice. Please take the survey linked to below - it's open to all Mumsnetters in the UK

Everyone who takes the survey and adds their details at the end will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win £250 of John Lewis vouchers.

Here's the link

In addition, if you're interested in joining the Tilda Taste Panel please email insight@mumsnet.com and we will pass on your email address and details to the team (no obligation but you will be sent information)

Thanks
MNHQ

Spirael Fri 30-Sep-11 14:08:53

Another one with a rice cooker here... It's hard to answer some of the questions when all you do is throw the rice into the bowl, fill with water to the line, then press "go" and walk away! About as panic-inducing as making a sandwich, really.

I guessed how long it takes, based on how long it takes me to get the rest of the meal ready, since I don't have to time it. It just switches to keeping it warm once it's done.

rubyrubyruby Fri 30-Sep-11 14:17:04

I thought it was a brilliant, concise, well written survey and I would like to congratulate whoever devised it.

munstersmum Fri 30-Sep-11 14:25:13

Done cos the comments on here meant I couldn't not take a peek.

AnnMN Isn't the question about substituting about rice for pasta if nervous the wrong way round?

bizarre...

but done.

Done. That survey is bonkers as conkers! Amazingly, there was no question about whether you would store/reuse cooked rice which is the one area of rice-using that worries people.

Now, are you sure the date isn't April 1st? grin

VirgoGrr Fri 30-Sep-11 14:45:21

Rather strange questions, but done.

Middle eastern rice cooking here.
1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water.

Soak rice in hot water for 15 mins, then rinse.
Splash of olive oil in non stick pan, fry rice for a min or so.
Add boiling water, return to boil.
1 chicken oxo cube, salt & pepper.

Lid on, turn heat to low and cook until water gone. Usually about 15-20 mins.
Even nicer if you fry some short vermicelli in the olive oil and cook along with the rice.

VirgoGrr Fri 30-Sep-11 14:47:52

Needed a 'in the dog' option for the waste question. grin

munstersmum Fri 30-Sep-11 14:51:23

VirgoG agreed

Shakey1500 Fri 30-Sep-11 14:54:05

Done. Did a double take from Q5 onwards grin

ProfYaffle Fri 30-Sep-11 16:07:03

Done, with a slight hmm

I use the Jamie Oliver method. 1 cup rice, 2 cups boiling water. Lid on, on the heat for 7 minutes, switch off and leave to stand with the lid on for 7 minutes. Perfectly cooked everytime.

Doobydoo Fri 30-Sep-11 16:12:06

done

Done.

I dont rinse my rice but am rubbish at estimating amount. Had a rice cooker from japanese friends when they went back to Japan but haven't replaced since it broke, do miss it!

Bicnod Fri 30-Sep-11 16:59:35

Odd but done

kreativetalentagency Fri 30-Sep-11 17:05:45

Rice, cooking rice to perfection is a work of art, best recipe i use is this.
Wash rice through 5 changes of water rubbing between hands.
Place rice into an extremely large pan of water, the more the merrier.
Bring to the boil and cook for 4 minutes only, drain.
Heat a bit of butter in a large nonstick pan, line with sliced potatoes.
Put the cooked rice over the potatoes.
Place a clean teatowel over the top of the pan then secure lid.
Cook on the lowest heat just a glimmer of heat for 8 minutes.
Not only do you have beautiful rice but a lovely potato crispy base.
This is a no fail receipe and works for people who prefer not to wash rice as I have tried it both ways.

grin at this survey.

Once I'd finished palpitating with absolute terror at the mere thought of cooking rice hmm I was able to complete the survey but the questions are very odd. I don't boil rice, I use the absorption method (I know how much water to add by putting the tip of my finger on top of the rice and adding cold water up to the first joint) so I wasn't sure how to answer the question about how long it takes to boil rice? The absorption method obviously takes longer than boiling. And I'm also confused as to why you have to have a child to be able to take part (I don't remember avoiding cooking rice until I had a 6 month old hmm)

Weird.

Blu Fri 30-Sep-11 17:36:05

People come out in a rash from fear of cooking rice? Or are scared to cook tinned tomatoes? Where on earth do Tilda draw their focus groups from ?

And I am most surprised to see a survey by Tilda talk of 'draining' - there's your answer to horrible rice right there! It shouldn't need bloody draining!

I only ever cook Tilda Basmati, tbh. Long grain is tasteless and not fluffy, brown rice too...brown, but good with some things.

I don't wash it, either, but that may because Tilda IS good rice.

Measure rice
Add double the volume of boiling water plus a good splash
Bit of salt, knob of butter
Boil, till it looks like porridge
Turn off heat, put a tight lid on pan and cover with a folded teatowel
Wait til everything else is cooked, fluff about with a fork, test, and add a bit of water to the pan and boil it up again with lid on if too undercooked / dry.

Fluffy, and no sticking.

Blu Fri 30-Sep-11 17:38:16

Tina - we had pre-traumatic stress counselling in school cookery lessons, which is why I don't palpitate like you do, perhaps?

I didn't cook rice at school blu, because I followed the rules, no cooking rice until you have a 6 month old child. So I didn't cook rice until I was 27 grin

trueblonde Fri 30-Sep-11 17:46:45

I don't mind cooking rice, srvey completed

digitalgirl Fri 30-Sep-11 17:47:49

Done - but very odd questioning. Also I cook rice the way my Filipina mother taught me: rinse very well, put in pan with 1.5 times cold water, lid on, bring to the boil, turn it down and let it steam. Cooks in about 15 minutes. Best way.

meravigliosa Fri 30-Sep-11 18:14:16

What we should be nervous about is safely reheating rice -- was surprised there wasn't any question directed at this.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Sep-11 18:14:45

Interesting how many different views on cooking rice...quite a hot topic!

I have taken off the bit about having at least one child (was thinking about cooking for a family but actually, as you say questions are not about that so much!) Sorry.

Thanks to everyone who has done it so far...! smile

CristinadellaPizza Fri 30-Sep-11 18:20:30

I am terrified of pasta. Honest

bluecake Fri 30-Sep-11 18:23:13

Done. I always get perfect rice <smarmy> although it did take around 10 years of practice and chucking plenty of the stuff away grin. I now do it like digitalgirl and it works every single time. I will have got that question about how long it takes completely wrong - I never pour it into boiling water. Are Tilda saying that is how you are supposed to do it? confused

FWIW, I always buy Tilda basmati. Best rice ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now