This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Take a survey about cooking with rice and you could win £250 of John Lewis vouchers

(153 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Sep-11 10:14:41

We've been asked by Tilda to find out how you feel about cooking with rice. Please take the survey linked to below - it's open to all Mumsnetters in the UK

Everyone who takes the survey and adds their details at the end will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win £250 of John Lewis vouchers.

Here's the link

In addition, if you're interested in joining the Tilda Taste Panel please email insight@mumsnet.com and we will pass on your email address and details to the team (no obligation but you will be sent information)

Thanks
MNHQ

<snort> there's a questionnaire designed to Prove A Point (rice is scary & you don't know what to do with it). Sorry Tilda, probably not answered how you're hoping!

suburbandream Fri 30-Sep-11 12:06:18

Loony - I agree, it depends on the type of rice. Very strange survey - never heard of anyone being scared of tinned tomatoes confused. And I really don't understand how rice can be hard to cook. If all else fails, read the instructions on the packet surely? I usually just chuck a cupful into a big pan of boiling water, stir it every now and then and check it after 10 mins or so.

nenevomito Fri 30-Sep-11 12:17:20

That has to be the strangest survey I've ever done. Scared? confused

I know people can be unsure of how to cook rice but scared seems a but OTT.

It did make me wonder if they worded it as such so they can say "80% of MNers replying to our survey said they were scared of rice".

Hey ho - I felt the fear and did it anyway!

SeenButNotHeard Fri 30-Sep-11 12:24:15

Done.

I was surprised that there was not a section on the dangers of cooking rice given that a disproportionately high number of food poisoning cases are caused by rice when it is inadequately heated (or re-heated) and if anything would 'scare' people, I would guess it would be that.

Honeydragon Fri 30-Sep-11 12:30:59

weirdest survey ever

and I thought it would be asking about food poisoning too, not rice terrorising people from the back of the cupboard.

BerryLellow Fri 30-Sep-11 12:47:59

grin at rice related panic attacks. Can't say I've ever had a fit of the vapours over carbs in my kitchen! Or tinned goods for that matter...

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 30-Sep-11 12:56:18

bizarre survey. Made me chuckle though with its panic attacks and scary tomatoes.

Q11 - the one about cooking time for 100g rice - surely it depends on the type of rice, and what if you don't add it to boiling water, I never do weirdos

FIFIBEBE Fri 30-Sep-11 13:13:06

Weird survey. I don't pour my rice into boiling water, so have to answer don't know when I really do know how to cook rice well.

trice Fri 30-Sep-11 13:17:01

Tilda - your marketing department are weird. Grown women are not frightened of cooking.

mousymouse Fri 30-Sep-11 13:21:31

my lazy foolproof method to cook rice:

measure
one cup of rice
one cup of water
pinch of salt or stock granules
bring to the boil
remove from heat and leave for 15-20 min or until all water is absorbed.

not burnt fingers from draining
no sticking to the bottom of the pan

ColdSancerre Fri 30-Sep-11 13:22:19

I looked at the survey, and apart from the question about how old are your children I couldn't see any reason why those of us who have not been blessed with DC's yet can't enter. Can you clarify please?

How very funny (but done survey anyway in hope of winning vouchers grin)

mousy, my way is the same - the rice steams and doesn't get sticky but make sure you don't peep in the pan before the 15 mins is up smile

oh and use decent basmai rice and wash it before using

basmati blush

faverolles Fri 30-Sep-11 13:26:30

Done.
If you are the nervous type, use zappy microwave rice - no more panic attacks or nausea at all grin

wahwahwah Fri 30-Sep-11 13:35:55

Who wrote this? Scared of rice? WTF?? How long to cook it... well I boil it until almost cooked then drain and steam it, so all in all it can take 30 mins to cook to my recipe.

The way I was taught at school was crappy - measure the rice and water and cook in a pan and boil until absorbed. Never works!

I have tried boil in the bag tilda basmati rice (to my shame) and it sucks!

Paschaelina Fri 30-Sep-11 13:39:39

I'm petrified of rice, me sad. They way it wafts round lights and dangles from the ceiling by one leg over my face in bed. Flying in my face, like winged spid....

Oh no hang on, that's daddy-long-legs. Rice? Who in this world is actually afraid of rice? confused

What a very odd survey. Is rice phobia common then?
I recently was conned into went to a kitchen ware party where they were trying to flog a little ceramic "rice cooker" for £40 because apparently no one can ever cook rice.
I use Kveta's method as well.
Rinse.
2:1 ratio
Boil dry.

I thought the 'How long does it take to cook rice?' question was to catch people out. The ones who appeared too blase about the whole rice cooking thing.

One for the 'odd surveys' tray ... and here I was thinking rice only comes in tin foil trays with the takeaway curry on Friday..

LadyWellian Fri 30-Sep-11 13:49:25

I just answered with how long it takes me to cook, rice, which is probably 'wrong' as I use the absorption method too.

The only thing that would give me a fit of the vapours (as I do it all by eye) is if anything happened to the one pan I have been using to cook rice since I left home 22 years ago.

(It was actually the one pan my Mum cooked rice in too, but she has adapted and bought a plastic thing that goes in the microwave and takes three times as long.)

MustControlFistOfDeath Fri 30-Sep-11 13:50:30

Never before has a survey made me smile

More like this please MNHQ

Curiousmama Fri 30-Sep-11 13:51:42

I do it Delia's way, never fails. We adore rice in this house. Dss prefer it to any other carb.

InvaderZim Fri 30-Sep-11 14:05:34

I was a bit hmm at the throwing away question. Would you like me to count what my daughter throws on the floor during meals?? The odd uneaten grain WTF?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now