This topic is for Q&As arranged by MNHQ. If you have questions about the site and how it runs, please do post in Site Stuff topic. If want to know about Q&A opportunities, please mail sales@mumsnet.com.

Q&A about bra fitting with expert from Bravissimo - ANSWERS BACK

(147 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 13-Aug-13 09:33:29

This week we're running a Q&A with Lisa Gardner, Customer Service Operations Manager at Bravissimo about bra fitting. Post your questions to Lisa before midday 20th August and we'll upload Lisa's answers on 27th August.

More about Bravissimo
Bravissimo provides a service to women with bigger boobs to inspire them to feel good about themselves, turning what may have been a negative experience of buying lingerie, swimwear and nightwear into a fun, pleasurable one where women with bigger boobs are offered a wide choice of styles and colours. They provide lots of fitting advice in stores, over the phone (01926 459 859) and online www.bravissimo.com

VenusRising Tue 13-Aug-13 20:11:49

Hi bravissimo, do you have a petite range for those of us who are large of nork (HH), but siptu much ribcage?
I'm 5'3" and have yet to find a bra style which doesn't give me wire in the armpit, or dig into my breastbone. I like my boobs hooked up and seperated. Tia

MrsPnut Tue 13-Aug-13 20:13:44

1944girl - try a 30E and the related sizes around that 28F/30F etc.

Can you open a store in Banbury please?

And more breastfeeding bras in a 28 back please? Size 8 wome? n have babies too!

But to ask a question about fitting, have you ever been fitted badly and what did you say to the fitter? I've had a few awkward moments lately...

Bluewater Needs You!

Pleeeease open a branch in Bluewater. Not everyone can face London with two children in a buggy and sometimes online is not enough!

Nursing bras. When should we be fitted? Does drop down method still apply here?

SorrelForbes Tue 13-Aug-13 20:34:50

Another plea here for some branches in the South West. I'm on the SW Devon/SE Cornwall border and my nearest Bravissimo is probably Reading or Leamington Spa!

blondieminx Tue 13-Aug-13 21:41:07

And another vote for a store at Stratford Westfield please - trains serving Essex/Suffolk/Norfolk stop at Stratford London and trains to Kent at Stratford International which is the other side of the mall.

I was recently fitted at the Covent Garden store and was v impressed with the fitters, thank you smile

mamamidwife Tue 13-Aug-13 22:00:52

What's the difference between a measuring/fitting with bravissimo and say M&S or Debs? Do you do it differently?

Ginformation Tue 13-Aug-13 22:42:23

I am a huge bravissimo fan (34 gg or h), but another vote for wider range of nursing bras! I went to another website shock for the first time in years to buy mine last time. And yes, please do stock wired nursing bras. The mastitis line is bollocks if the bra fits

And pepperberry tops: often too low cut for work and the 'waist' sits far too high on my rib cage (I'm only 5'7").

Otherwise I love the moulded smooth cup styles, more please!

HoopHopes Tue 13-Aug-13 22:54:38

Again a huge fan of your fitting and I travel a reasonable distance to go to a store. My question is are you planning on stocking a wider range of other makes as I have been disappointed by the focus on your own make and a more limited range of makes such as Freya etc. it has made me start shopping elsewhere, which is a shame and if the stock continues shrinking in variety I will cease to travel such a distance for only own brand products.

I'm a real Bravissimo fan and have bought lots of bras over the years from Bravissimo. Is there any chance of making the matching pants mostly out of cotton? I would love to buy a set, but can't bear non-cotton pants.

Also is there any plan to improve the fabrics used for Pepperberry? Lots are artificial, shiny and sweaty and the jersey is way too thin so clings to every lump and bump. Kettlewell do a great jersey range - so you might look at the weight of their fabric.

Trying2bMindful Tue 13-Aug-13 23:19:38

I love the fitters in Rigby & Peller. They don't even bother with a tape measure & always get it right & get you a bra in your price range. Amazing.
However since I started bf 15 months ago I have not been fitted anywhere.... Do bravissimo offer a wired nursing bra? With G norks I need underwire & I don't want something plain & dowdy. I want something for work and something sexy or pretty for other days. Please!

mistlethrush Tue 13-Aug-13 23:35:06

I love the Fantasie bras with the straps closer together at the back - why don't more companies do these? What is the downside (as I can't see one) - for years I suffered from straps that slipped even when I used the right size and proper fit - now I'm restricted to a couple of styles that don't slip off, but its worth it.

Loftyjen Tue 13-Aug-13 23:39:42

An so chuffed to see so many comments asking about increasing the range of nursing bras - I emailed bravissimo when I first fell pregnant with DC2 (am now 27wks) & as a 36J already choice is limited. Unfortunately I got rather short shrift in the reply suggesting that there wasn't enough of a market for them to extend the range hmm
Having struggled to find nursing tops with the holes in the right places, I also emailed Pepperberry suggesting it could be a useful thing to consider (instead of random jewellery/bottoms that I could get anywhere!) and got a similar response.
Hopefully seeing this, they might realise that there is a big market for these things *crosses fingers*

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 14-Aug-13 00:27:46

Why does Bravissimo market itself as being for the large of nork? I am 28DD which is actually pretty minimal boobage. I was scared to go to Bravissimo as I thought they were only for the unusually huge of boob, which patently isn't true. Surely the vast majority of women, when measured correctly, will meet your minimum of d cup.

SmileItsSunny Wed 14-Aug-13 07:19:08

Hi, great thread thanks! I agree with a few points upthread.

I agree that breasts should be called breasts not boobs.

Yy too more breast feeding bras.

More stores needed please - Basingstoke, Newbury, Reading Bournemouth and Poole please!

Now my question. I'd love to introduce my disabled mum to your service, but can't get her to a store. She is unlikely to be converted from M & S with online instructions... Any chance of home visits? I'd pay for the convenience!
visions of bra fitting parties

CoTananat Wed 14-Aug-13 07:37:58

I really think you should get the message out there that you do bras for women with not very large breasts.

I only just bought my first few bras with you this summer. I would have been a loyal customer all my life, had I realised that:

1. M&S were lying to me and I am not 36B (and indeed that a size 10/12 with a 36" back would be extraordinary)
2. 32F is not a dramatically large bust

But all your marketing is around bigger breasts and I just assumed you would laugh at me if I went in/that it was not for me. And I know this is not an uncommon view.

BTW if you would do tall/long-back-length basics in natural fabrics (white shirts, bretons, square neck tees, camis) I would just get everything with you as nothing in the high street fits my boobs and waist - nothing.

My actual question is: I am a 32F with very wide set, shallow breasts. I get on okay with the Cleo Juna -that's a good fit mostly but I wonder if you do some others that are on similar lines? I can't fill the top of a moulded bra or a full cup and I want (lightly) padded for modesty. I don't want to go into a store.

CoTananat Wed 14-Aug-13 07:42:46

Oh yeah, what about putting some heuristic suggestions into your website? So if I'm looking at the Cleo Juna you can tell me some bras that are similar and sort them by some method like "other people that bought and rated the cleo juna also bought and rated highly [x]"

Similar to the Bratabase but built right in so I can just click and buy.

Also if you did multipacks of black and nude knickers in plain cotton I would never have to go to M&S ever again. grin

thegraduand Wed 14-Aug-13 08:27:10

Smileitsunny there is a store in reading, it's in the alley way down the side of John Lewis (or it was there last time I was in Reading)

I love the brand and buy a lot from it, but the Pepperberry clothes seem to assume you have big boobs and a flat tummy, a bit of give for both would be good. And no idea why you sell jeans there

TheDailyWail Wed 14-Aug-13 08:27:50

I would love it if you could source a reasonably priced,supportive bra that doesn't look like a 65 year old would wear it. I have only 2 bras at the moment - washing and wearing as mine costs £65 - (rigby & peller) for a 38L. sad

KittenCaboodle Wed 14-Aug-13 08:29:33

I would like more nursing bras (non-wired). The mastitis line is definitely not bollocks for those of us who have suffered it hmm

VelvetStrider Wed 14-Aug-13 08:40:13

I'd just like to echo hellymelly and others, what is the truth about bra fitting and sizing? Is the adding 4 inches method now completely obsolete or do some manufacturers and shops still size that way?

My ribcage measures 26", yet the last time I tried on 30" bras (at Debenhams) I couldn't do them up! Others upthread have said they need smaller sizes than their measurements suggest.

Also I usually find that the bit of the band that goes up slightly between the breasts doesn't sit flat against my chest. I've tried different cup sizes and styles but there's always a gap. Is it just down to my shape or is there a solution?

HabitualLurker Wed 14-Aug-13 08:52:47

Another voice questioning the marketing to the bigger breasted only here! My breasts are teeny, and until last year I despaired of ever getting a bra to fit and just wore stretchy crop-tops. M&S sizing put me at a 34A, but these didn't fit me at all. It was only when I got pregnant and then got fitted for a nursing bra that I discovered that I was a 30F, and so may well be something like a 30D/28DD normally.

I think you're missing out on a lot of customers who could easily buy bras from you but assume they'd be laughed out of the shop!

SorrelForbes Wed 14-Aug-13 08:57:17

Velvet - you almost certainly need a much much bigger cup to enable the centre gore to sit flat between your breast.

I'll leave the +4 explanation to the experts! But it is an outdated and incorrect method that's still used by stores like M&S.

Spirael Wed 14-Aug-13 08:57:17

It was, admittedly, a while ago now... But when I was BFing DD I needed to wear some manner of bra overnight, mostly to hold breast pads in place so I didn't soak the bed! I didn't want to be constrained by a daytime bra overnight, I didn't need that level of support and/or want straps digging in to me.

I found it really difficult to acquire an elasticated, crop-top style, nursing bra that would fit me as I have a small back but (especially when my milk came in!) relatively large breasts. Either they fitted my breasts but would ride up as the elastic was too loose for my ribcage, or they stayed in place but squished me down.

Are nighttime, nursing, crop-top bras designed for busty women something that Bravissimo stocks or would consider stocking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now