This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Take part in the Colman's cook once eat twice challenge - £150 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(45 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 02-Sep-13 16:01:58

We're looking for 20 Mumsnetters to take part in a 2 week 'cook once eat twice' challenge.

Here's what Colman's say about the challenge:
"Wasting food costs families up and down the country money and has an impact on the environment too. Bulk cooking is a simple way to reduce this, as it can help with meal planning and provides a solution for those mealtimes when you just don't have the time or inspiration to cook. So join us in making your family's favourite dishes go further and save yourself time and money in the process!"

The aim of this challenge is to encourage MNers who don't often cook in batches, to try some of the Colman's recipes to make enough meals to last for the week by freezing and reheating when needed.

Those selected to take part will be sent a selection of Colman's packet mixes including:

- Colman's Chilli Con Carne Casserole (suitable for vegetarians)

- Colman's Chicken Casserole

- Colman's Beef Casserole

- Colman's Sausage Casserole (suitable for vegetarians)

You'll also receive Colman's recipe cards, information on food waste as well as some tips for freezing meals from Love Food Hate Waste.

Testers will then need to cook a couple of the recipes in one go and freeze into portion sizes for use over the 2 weeks.

You'll then need to add feedback to a thread on MN about how you found the recipes and whether or not you saved time and money and reduced the amount of food you usually waste.

Everyone who adds their feedback to the thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £150 M&S voucher.

We know many MNers are seasoned pros at cooking in bulk and freezing leftovers and we'd like those of you who have top tips to share to help the testers out on the feedback thread so do keep a look out for this - there'll be an extra prize to win grin.

If you'd like to take part, please sign up here.

Thanks and good luck,
MNHQ

orangepudding Tue 03-Sep-13 19:04:35

Put the food want to freeze away from your family (and yourself) so it doesn't get eaten before going in the freezer!

Cohenite Tue 03-Sep-13 22:11:06
JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 03-Sep-13 22:53:22

Brilliant cohenite grin

EricNorthmansFangbanger Wed 04-Sep-13 00:55:07

Done. This would be so helpful for us! Will definitely be taking notes from the pros grin

lougle Wed 04-Sep-13 13:34:30

Roast vegetables in a big batch for Sunday roast, then use the left-overs as the base for other meals.

1 x bag of Tesco Everyday Value tomatoes (500g) - £0.90
3 x Aubergine - £1.50
3 x Courgette - £0.90

Chop into bite size chunks. Put a little vegetable oil in a food/freezer bag and tip veg into the bag - give a shake to evenly coat veg. Sprinkle with salt/pepper. Roast in the oven c.160/180 for 1 hour.

This base is lovely with sausages and olives, as a pasta sauce, or with some bacon on a jacket potato.

The batch above lasts our family of 5 three meals. That's £1.10 per meal for the base veg.

I'm in. DS wants to start making tea when he gets home from school so this would be ideal. (I usually do my own sauces etc as DH gets the jars which I don't like!)

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 04-Sep-13 19:24:00

droitwich how old is your DS? I can really recommend the Usborne cooking for boys book. My DS uses it and we haven't had a bad meal yet smile

Oblomov Wed 04-Sep-13 21:21:26

I have used colemans packets many times. They are artificial.

snowlie Wed 04-Sep-13 23:18:10

Packet mixes are horrible things. I tasted my db's packet mix chilli, it was awful and I has to eat it for fear of offending, they didn't even save much time. Real food tastes better it's that simple!

Thank you JJJ I'll take a look at that. He is 9 so old enough to make simple things alone. He will start doing cookery at school this year as well which will help

Alidoll Thu 05-Sep-13 18:49:26

If it means the dog doesn't end up eating all the leftovers and I can loose some weight...count me in!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 05-Sep-13 19:46:04

droitwich my DS is 9 too smile

There are some easy recipes that the DC seem to like. The burgers and chilli are good, we even liked the spinach and ricotta cannelloni smile

fie181 Fri 06-Sep-13 19:41:02

Love a mix. Spices things up. Better still if slow cooker on the go. Full time job 2kids hubby work shifts and training for a marathon. I need all the help I can get . Thanks

zimbamummy Fri 06-Sep-13 20:22:45

I’m incredibly lucky that DH does all the cooking in our house including lunches and dinner. He runs it all like a military operation - planning all meals for the whole week and then he’ll have one or two days where he cooks at least 2 if not 3 meals for the week. It does save us loads and we have no waste at all (even things like left over spinach get used up in green shakes!)

HALA Sun 08-Sep-13 18:47:14

I always cook double the portion, so I have one to either eat later in the week or to freeze.

Carriepreston Thu 12-Sep-13 19:39:19

Anyone heard if they have been selected for this yet ?

icecubed Thu 12-Sep-13 19:48:08

yes had email today am v excited and awaiting delivery! !grin grin

ClaimedByMe Fri 13-Sep-13 13:30:46

I got no email but have just had a product testing pack delivered...help??

ClaimedByMe Fri 13-Sep-13 13:32:00

Oops I did get an email...blush

Not had an email but my pack arrived this morning! Am very pleased and am compiling a shopping list/meal plan. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now