MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Webchat with Daisy Goodwin, lunchtime, Tues 23 June

(428 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 18-Jun-09 11:47:31

As requested and promised, Daisy has accepted our invite and is coming on next Tuesday (exact time to be confirmed, but probably around 1pm). Get there early to bag your place.

Point of order: does one just answer the easy questions on these webchats? Is there a Jonathan Dimbleby who insists the target guest answers the question?

morningpaper Thu 18-Jun-09 18:52:44

"It doesn't detract from the value of MN at all" well quite

I'm not sure that this somewhat more thoughtful view was conveyed by the article where we were described as the "self-righteous childcare fundamentalists of the internet" just because we disagreed with the methods of a woman who runs a chocolate shop

LupusinaLlamasuit Thu 18-Jun-09 19:38:28

Ah bollocks, I am in Very Important Meeting that day. I will post some advance questions though sure you lot will do the business.

LupusinaLlamasuit Thu 18-Jun-09 19:45:25

The question I would like the answer to is what proportion, in your estimation, of vituperative posts about breastfeeding are in existence on MN threads, in comparison to those in which supportive, accurate, well-informed, encouraging and sisterly advice is given?

Because I suspect you are over-estimating. And I suspect this is perhaps because of one of two things: 1. Projection, in the psychoanalytic sense, of your own angst about feeding; 2. Needing a cheap quick point to a hook your piece onto.

Evidence, Daisy, that's what I'd like to see in good journalism. Not nonsense.

theyoungvisiter Thu 18-Jun-09 19:46:26

Morningpaper, I don't think I could better your question, so could I just stand behind you while you ask it, nodding and murmuring "hear, hear" in a low and respectful tone?

Although I am not sure whether the murmuring will be audible above the baying of the mn hounds lively discussion that is sure to ensue.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 18-Jun-09 19:47:12

"What is it about MN that makes some people so over sensitive and righteous?" Oh the irony; your tone sounds a wee bit oversensitive itself, non?

<wonders if sallyjay is DG's PA or summat?>

theyoungvisiter Thu 18-Jun-09 19:49:46

I think the problem many journalists have with MN is their utter horror when they discover there are hundreds of opinionated, informed, strident, literate, articulate and feisty women out there, writing about issues in a rather funny and provocative way, and worse, doing it for FREE.

The horror. After all, who needs to pay for the Daily Mail when you can click on AIBU?

Lulumama Thu 18-Jun-09 19:52:02

if she only answers one question, it must be morningpaper's.

AitchTwoOh Thu 18-Jun-09 19:59:28

oh she can say what she likes about MN, sallyjay (nice to meet you btw), i couldn't give a stuff about that, it was so clearly just there as padding to justify her own screwed-up viewpoint on bfing. if you're writing an opinion piece for the DM you do need to concoct an enemy.

no no, it's the abuse and exploitation of tiny babies by a woman with no child care qualifications and a self-professed past history of shagging her clients' husbands while their wives are giving their babies their alloted daily cuddle... that's what i'm interested in. smile

did you SEE the programme, sallyjay?

Lulumama Thu 18-Jun-09 20:00:26

you know, i had actually partly forgotten how terrible that programme was, i think i had blanked it out.

TheCrackFox Thu 18-Jun-09 20:04:32

That programme was absolutely dire. TBH Daisy should just admit she cocked it up and apologise.

Wonder what Clare Verity is doing now?

AitchTwoOh Thu 18-Jun-09 20:05:31

i wonder if daisy will search for the threads from the nights they were on, get the blow-by-blow horror?

AbricotsSecs Thu 18-Jun-09 20:07:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rubyslippers Thu 18-Jun-09 20:08:15

that programme was hideous

there was a few threads about it as it happened - i think Aitch gave fair warning that it may cause some hackles to rise!

one of the things i would be interested in is how much she uses MN for research for her pieces?

have noticed more and more journalists using MN (legitmately via Media requests) and not so - that infertility thread this week ...

so if the site is trawled a lot why does no-one ever highlight the amazing stuff which goes on - mile for maude, Xmas appeals and more

but then i guess those aren't a story to get DM readers frothing at the mouth

AbricotsSecs Thu 18-Jun-09 20:11:45

AitchTwoOh Thu 18-Jun-09 20:13:41

the infertility thread was not started by a journalist, i happen to know for a fact. just an mner who didn't want her ttcing friends to be able to recognise her. i imagine she felt happier on the same thread that didn't kick off.

apols to the person who has just gone 'eeeek'. i won't be identifying you, no worries. smile

morningpaper Thu 18-Jun-09 20:14:39

I remember the day Aitch saw the pre-broadcast tape <fond>

we were all drinking heavily that night

AitchTwoOh Thu 18-Jun-09 20:28:59

that is true, hooch. although it does remain to be seen if she comes on. i would like to speak to her, without it all descending into a slanging match. i just CAN'T understand how that woman was put in charge of children. remember her 'oh you won't be in the same room as the children', and the prams in the garden (not such a prob with that, personally, but the MOTHER was beside herself). and the immediate giving up of bfing of the twin mum despite having said that she wanted to and HAVING A NANNY THERE 24/7. basically because that's teh way CV wanted it.

ooooh, and the party, where the twin mum wouldn't let anyone in to see her children in case, god forbid, they woke up. her pals thought she was mental, lol.

goingnowherefast Thu 18-Jun-09 20:37:42

"In your recent article you blamed the nct for pressurising women to breastfeed. Don't you think you should find another target for your condemnation? Looking aat the statistics, approx. 90% of women who give up breastfeeding in the first couple of weeks would have liked to continue*. The NCT is one of the few organisations who offer these women vital support that they often do not get from the health professionals. Surely first and foremost this is the statistic that needs addressing. "

*Can someone verify/edit this statistic? I plucked it from somewhere in my head, I know it's something similar!

AbricotsSecs Thu 18-Jun-09 20:40:18

AitchTwoOh Thu 18-Jun-09 20:41:54

oh yes, most definitely.

She is probably counting on it turning into bitchfest summer 2009.

policywonk Thu 18-Jun-09 20:44:35

Blimey, she is going to be eviscerated. <hopeful>

There are only two questions really - MP's one and Lupus's one (and variations thereof). The answer to both of them is 'I was wrong and I'm sorry.'

<bookmarking bookmarking bookmarking>

morningpaper Thu 18-Jun-09 20:49:35

No of course we will be polite and charming and welcoming. We don't want her screaming SEE? I TOLD YOU SO! YOU ARE ALL MAD.

Justine will tie me to a chair

I will bring scones and nice plates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now