WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live chat with William Gray, award winning family travel journalist - Mon 7th July 1-2pm

(188 Posts)
CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-Jul-08 10:04:55

Hello all,
Just to let you know that we'll be welcoming William Gray for a chat on all things family travel related on Monday July 7th between 1-2pm.

Will has been a travel journalist for over 15 years. He's travelled extensively with his children, Ellie & Joe - now 7, whilst researching his family travel guide Travel With Kids.

So if you're still undecided about your summer and are looking for something a bit different, or if you'd like to know the top 5 destinations at half term and if you'd take toddlers to South America/ india etc, then please come along.

If you can't make it on the day, please post your questions in advance here. Otherwise - see you on Monday.

MNHQ

WelliesAndPyjamas Wed 09-Jul-08 08:56:06

tori troi

WelliesAndPyjamas Wed 09-Jul-08 08:55:35

LOL Rwy'n eitha siwr taw ni oedd yr unig rhai yn siarad cymraeg yno!! Rwy'n cofio ti'n son am PNG - rwy'n cofio hefyd ti'n son am siarad yng nghymraeg gyda dy chwaer am pobol mewn parti a rhywun yn tori rownd a deall chi, ie?? PMSL!! Ti'n iawn, ddylsen i sgwennu am popeth sydd wedi digwydd i ni yma ond wir i ti, byddai pawb yn meddwl bod ni wedi dychmygu y cyfan, mae e i gyd mor wallgo!

wilf - my welsh is lazy sometimes (comes from rushing my MN doses in to 2 minute breaks and typing fast) but in my defence I can't translate sarajevo... and hassle is such a perfect word for what I was talking about! grin

Now, must get off this computer, get out of my pyjamas, tidy up my bungalow, eat some yoghurt, and maybe get romantic and invite my DH out to a disco later grinwink

moondog Tue 08-Jul-08 22:50:48

Ah Wilf, and English borrows nothing does
it??

Alcohol, pyjamas,yoghurt,snooker,bungalow, verandah, computer,disco, gull,romance,the list goes on and on and on and on.....

English is the most succesful language in the world by virtue of its ability to absorb and accommodate words from other languages. That's what healthy languages do.They grow and develop.

Y dau hanes yn ddiddorol dros ben W. (Ac ie, i 'there is power in being annoying!!!) Dyle ti sgwennu amdanynt. Dwi'n licio'r syniad o deulu Cymraeg yn Nghiwba. Tyfais i fyny yn PNG yn siarad Cymraeg.

WilfSell Tue 08-Jul-08 16:53:56

Ah those great Welshisms: hassle, immigration, Sarajevo

<mind boggling>

Wish I'd kept it up, I'd be bi-lingual now. Mind you, wouldn't have been much call for Welsh back in Manchester in the 1970s.

WilfSell Tue 08-Jul-08 16:51:44

yes, it was a phonetic spelling blush

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 08-Jul-08 16:47:52

wilfsell, what were you doing in the ty in the cwm with a pimp?? shockwink

Ciwba achos cymrodd fy rhieni swyddi fel newyddiadurwyr yno am 2 flynedd... a trodd hwnna mewn i 5 mlynedd! Yn colli y lle yn fawr o hyd.

Roedd yr hassle fel rhywbeth mas o nofel neu ffilm, wir i ti! Ac yn y diwedd yr unig ffordd sortiais i fe mas oedd eistedd tu allan i swyddfa y gweinidog immigration yn sarajevo gyda DS am oriau nes roedd rhaid iddo fe siarad a fi a clywed y sefyllfa!! There is power in being annoying wink

moondog Tue 08-Jul-08 16:35:46

'pimp'
pump lol lol

WilfSell Tue 08-Jul-08 16:34:41

was only 6. the only words I can remember are ty, cwm and pimp...

That's pretty much all you need when you're 6 though.

moondog Tue 08-Jul-08 16:23:14

Ciwba?? Waw! Pam?
Gwych am yr un newydd. Llongyfarchiadau!!
(Bechod i glywed am yr hassle, sylwais dy fod ti wedi bod yn ddistaw.)

lol at Welsh is mad comment.
We are of course talking about you. grin

WilfSell Tue 08-Jul-08 15:47:21

god, welsh is mad isn't it...

[am allowed to say that: used to speak it once...]

WelliesAndPyjamas Tue 08-Jul-08 15:35:05

Swnio'n gret! Mwynha di pob munud, iawn?!

y thread arall - treuliais i 5 mlynedd yn byw yng Nghiwba yn fy arddegau

popeth yn iawn yma... wel, newydd dod mas o cyfnod cas - hunllef immigration, rhyw fath o catch 22, gyda estronwyr Bosnia yn rhedeg mewn cylchoedd [grrr] a bron a gorfod gadael... ond heb law am 'ny mae newyddion hyfyrd 'da ni: rwy'n feichiog! Shhh! wink

moondog Mon 07-Jul-08 22:39:39

The kids will love it Lucky. smile
Do you know, all my kids want to do is sleep in a caravan!

Wellies, dwi ddim yn siwr eto-heb fod. mae dh yn hapus iawn. (Y ffaith bod ganddo yrrwr ac rhywun i gadw ty/siopa/coginio yn helpu llawer dwi'n siwr. Dwi'n edrych ymlaen yn fawr iawn at cael ddengyd o ddyletswyddau domestig am chwech wythnos fy hun!)

Sut mae pethau efo chdi? Y fab? Gwaith? Popeth!
Yn gweld ar y 'thread' arall dy fod yn son am gael dy fagu tramor. Yn lle???

WelliesAndPyjamas Mon 07-Jul-08 21:15:48

Bangladesh, moondog?? wel y jiw jiw! Sut mae bywyd yno?

luckylady74 Mon 07-Jul-08 21:06:43

Tempting Moondog, but i have just booked 2 nights in a ready pitched tent in Northumberland - 30 mins from my mum's house- I truly am a scaredy pants!

moondog Mon 07-Jul-08 20:09:23

Yes Luckylady, I did live in Eastern Turkey. Now it is Bangladesh (some of the time). Will be off in a month. Grab ya as a suitable destination for your hols? wink

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Jul-08 16:21:00

And here's the Siblu link

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Jul-08 16:07:57

A quick reminder that Siblu is a Mumsnet partner and offers a 5% member discount, plus an extra discount if you book online. Use the code MUMNET when booking.

PrincessPeaHead Mon 07-Jul-08 15:18:22

Squirting elephants! He came up with squirting elephants Custy!

He is GOOD.

Enjoy your cup of tea and slice of Mumsnet Victoria Sponge, Will.

Tortington Mon 07-Jul-08 15:12:38

phone call ...hmmmmmm ( cake more like)

cheers!

willow Mon 07-Jul-08 15:11:46

OI, WILL, OVER HERE!

WillGray2008 Mon 07-Jul-08 15:08:10

Sorry for the delay (phone call!)

Check out this for a good deal:

http://www.directline-holidays.co.uk/Hotel%20Port%20Aventura

Also, Siblu (www.siblu.com) have two holiday parks on the Costa Daurada.

For example, Cambrils Park is a beautifully landscaped holiday park with a fantastic pool complex with waterslides and squirting elephants! Onsite facilities include tennis, football, mini-golf and a Tiger Club for five- to 12-year-olds, while the beach (800 m away) has a range of water sports. Self-catering is a piece of cake thanks to the park’s bakery and supermarket, and there’s also a restaurant and takeaway for eating out. From around £300, based on two adults and up to three children sharing a two-bedroom Esprit+ holiday home for seven-nights

On the theme park itself…
There are five lands to explore – China, the Far West, Polynesia, Mexico and (for a thinly veiled dose of reality), the Mediterranean. With no less than eight loop-the-loops, the Dragon Khan rollercoaster used to be the ultimate thrill ride at PortAventura, but then along came Furius Baco which accelerates its passengers from 0 to 135 kph in three seconds. More stomach-clutching moments are available on Hurakan Condor, a 42-storey free-fall tower. Families with younger children will find plenty of softer options, including the Sea Odyssey submarine ride, spinning Armadillos and South Pacific dance show. In addition to three onsite hotels, PortAventura also boasts the Caribe Aquatic water park…

Tortington Mon 07-Jul-08 15:01:38

He is eating cake isn't he?

i bet he is.

Tortington Mon 07-Jul-08 14:56:58

grin

MarsLady Mon 07-Jul-08 14:56:27

I apologise. Clearly that was posted in error and I got the timing completely wrong!

Tortington Mon 07-Jul-08 14:55:54

i have a vineyard!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now