WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Jamie Oliver webchat, Thursday 29 August, 2.45pm

(1000 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 27-Aug-13 11:12:29

We're chuffed that Jamie Oliver is paying a return visit to Mumsnet this Thursday. His first MN webchat was back in 2010.

Jamie has a new book out, Save with Jamie: Shop Smart, Cook Clever, Waste Less (all subjects dear to MNers' hearts). It has 100 brand-new recipes designed to be accessible, reliable and, above all, affordable.

This is what Jamie says about his new book: "For years I have been telling people that if you look back through history, the best food in the world has always come from communities under massive financial pressure. But the proviso is that you MUST be able to cook! If you can't, and have no money, that is where the trouble starts. This is a cook book which, from start to finish has tasty recipes, all dedicated to great value, is a brilliant weapon to have on the shelf, and is relevant to every household. If you use this book the way it's intended, you should end up saving a wodge of cash from your wallet."

And to tie in with the book, he has a new six-part series on Channel 4 starting on Monday 2 Sept at 8pm.

Please post your question and join Jamie for a chat at 2.45pm on Thurs.

Trigglesx Tue 27-Aug-13 17:27:44

I agree that this is bad timing. The "big screen TV" comment was ill-advised and in all honesty, put me off completely.

I have a fairly large TV (purchased before H and I separated when we were both working), have a fair bit of food waste (child with disabilities that has a food problem, yet I still persist in exposing him to good foods even if he doesn't eat them as eventually he will sniff or lick or possibly taste something new), and am currently on benefits. I do buy some ready made food, mainly because I need a backup for those days when my son is having so many difficulties that I cannot be out in the kitchen cooking and it's easier to pop something in the oven to cook.

I also have a Wii system with games, a Nintendo 3DS, and a fancy phone - all 3 of which I was given for free (from Mumsnet grin for various things - testing products, prize draw). To someone looking in, it might give the wrong impression. We also have a tablet (not an ipad, but something similar), that DS uses that was purchased for him with disability funds.

Alienating what should be your target audience isn't the best marketing move IMO.

Personally, if you want to impress me - have a word with that nutter on the other BBC programme recently where the well off woman with her own cleaning company stood there telling the poor woman that buying chicken breasts was better value than buying the whole chicken - when most of us know that is simply WRONG!!!

If you want to impress me - bring out recipes that will help someone gradually build up their store cupboard, rather than expecting a huge change. Start off showing people how they can make stuff they are used to eating in perhaps a more healthy manner or less expensive by cooking it at home.

And stop making snap judgements based on seeing a television for heaven's sake. Some people who are low on money make sure they spend a decent amount on their television as they know it will be a solid source of entertainment - you know, like to watching cooking shows? hmm

Trigglesx Tue 27-Aug-13 17:34:58

hate it when a good flounce is ruined by a typo...

should be: you know, like watching cooking shows? hmm

all better now grin

I dont think this webchat is a bad idea at all really, some of it might make for uncomfortable reading for Jamie, but thats not always a bad idea, I`m sure he can take it, and everyone has the right of reply, so Jamie can tell us if he has been mis-quoted or mis-understood. It might also make Jamie and other TV Chefs think about real budget cooking and how to maybe write or show people how to build up a cooking knowledge without big freezers, store cupboards and lots of equipment. Delia did a basic one not too long ago which was very popular, maybe another one might be a good idea.

I think (and this is no reflection on Jamie whatsoever) that sometimes people forget how tough it is for those with very little money (I have not forgotten) and how hard it is for people to get together the extras required for a `easy meal pe se` so they dont always realise that throwing in to a processor and cooking in bulk is not always possible (and I have asked a question above regarding that). When people are working long hours cooking can seem like a luxury and popping to markets is not always possible, Saturday markets tend to be those very expensive artisan markets, and I take it thats not what Jamie meant.

I find that the best way with cooking is to use a recipie as a guideline, I have, over the years, learnt and built confidence enough to work around recipies to what I have in the house, sometimes with better results than the original recipie (sometimes worse grin)

YoniMatopoeia Tue 27-Aug-13 17:45:23

This could be fun... Or not.

Agree with others. The timing is not good given the recent remarks o have seen quoted on here today.

NatashaBee Tue 27-Aug-13 17:45:41

Well said Trigglesx!

expatinscotland Tue 27-Aug-13 17:46:38

How much are you paid to produce a range of fast food sauces for Sainsbury's? And was it more than you were paid by Channel4 to pontificate to the hoi polloi about how wrong it is for the unwashed masses to use ready-made sauces?

'Lost touch' is an understatement.

Silverfoxballs Tue 27-Aug-13 17:49:44

Do you think you could beat Heston Blumenthal in an arm wresting match?

On a serious note I agree with Lem and others about the possibility of a bun fight so maybe just postpone.

motownmover Tue 27-Aug-13 17:58:07

Do you ever pinch yourself and think wow about how you have made gazillions - or do you say - oh no another A-lister like Gwynnie that you have to cook for?

PS how big is your TV?

PSS how many TV's do you have?

motownmover Tue 27-Aug-13 17:59:12

oops and one more- what was that UKIP comment about I didn't get it!

motownmover Tue 27-Aug-13 17:59:45

ooops - is it true that olive oil becomes really bad for you when it is heated past a certain temp.

I'm going to stop now Jamie!

NatashaBee Tue 27-Aug-13 18:01:11

Someone on the other thread suggested that Mumsnet should invite Jack Monroe (http://agirlcalledjack.com/) for a webchat instead - I would really like to see her as a webchat guest.

motownmover Tue 27-Aug-13 18:01:59

That is a brilliant idea Natasha

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 27-Aug-13 18:04:30

Hi Jamie, since your 15 minute meals I have noticed a change in the ingredients that you have used - there is a lower fat content. Why is this? Is it what the masses want? Were you personally more aware, which then translated in your cooking? smile

TheCrackFox Tue 27-Aug-13 18:12:24

Do any of your staff at your restaurants have zero hour contracts?

Jamie - when you were tackling school dinners, why didn't you do more to make healthy versions of the food that was familiar to the children - ie. burgers made with good mince, on whole meal buns with some salad in them, or pizza on a whole wheat base, with a packed-with-veg tomato sauce, and some decent cheese, oven cooked wedges made from scratch rather than chips etc, etc - rather than bringing in lots of entirely alien recipes that the children (who are often very conservative when it comes to new foods) were very likely to reject?

Is it because it was better telly to completely upset the applecart rather than changing things gradually for healthier options made of better ingredients?

Tee2072 Tue 27-Aug-13 18:19:47

Jamie...good luck...

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 27-Aug-13 18:25:17

Jamie, on your very first 'School Dinners' series, you said that you were not really acting out of self-interest because 'let's face it, my kids in't gonna go to state school'.

Do you see a contradiction in patronizing and criticizing the pupils and staff in institutions which you have already stated at the outset that there is no chance you would ever use yourself? Do you think that the catering staff and teachers whom you were instructing might have found this a little irritating, insofar as, no matter what they did, you would never ever consider them worthy of educating your own children?

MikeLitoris Tue 27-Aug-13 18:26:29

I assumed jamies comment was based on an actual event, tbh I get myself into a froth about it. I know people that do put stuff ahead of feeding the dc properly. Not always benefits but it does happen.

I don't think I have a question for Jamie blush I have to admit I dont buy recipe books. I tend to just look on line.

I get put off by the assumption that I must have a well stocked cupboard with 'basics' in.

If I've got a tenner and I'm going for essentials what should I get?

Someone on the other thread suggested that Mumsnet should invite Jack Monroe (http://agirlcalledjack.com/) for a webchat instead - I would really like to see her as a webchat guest.

Yes MNHQ, please do! She's amazing. I can't wait to buy her book when it's published.

My question for Jamie Oliver: "benefits-bashing" is a popular pastime at the moment. If, as you claim, your comments as published by the RT were taken out of context, would you consider making a programme where you have to live on benefits for a minimum of a month? (That would obviously include buying all ingredients for your family's meals and paying all the bills). If not why not?

WilsonFrickett Tue 27-Aug-13 19:01:57

I was going to post a question but actually I think I'll hold back and urge you to answer LtEveDallas question instead, please. Because it's a really, really good one.

Jack Monroe also sometimes adds herbs and things not counted in the cost, and uses part packs of things.

Jamie, everything I've done from 15 min meals has been good, I wasn't a fan before but am now. Any chance of a book that collected all the gluten free recipes from all your earlier books? As its a bit ££ if you can only have I recipe in 6!

crazynanna Tue 27-Aug-13 19:13:04

The low-income stereotype comments have also put me right of you,Jamie. My Poverty Action Group are also mightily pissed off. And I used to enjoy your enthusiasm in all things foody. Now, I just see you as a poorly informed spouter.
Shame that.

girlylala0807 Tue 27-Aug-13 19:14:10

Dear Jamie,

As a single mother and a benefits claimant who lives in a council flat (no flatscreen here) im afraid buying a luxury such as a book is totally out of my budget, so, are you going to distribute these books to assist those you are trying to "help" or will you just continue to sneer and patronise those at the lower end of the social scale?

Oh I have a better question! (Sorry MNHQ!).

When you say that your new hideously expensive book is all about value and budget, what exactly do you mean by value and budget? I have £35 a week to feed a family of four. I know families who have less. Can we afford your recipes?

BIWI Tue 27-Aug-13 19:31:23

Whilst I think his comment was misguided, and may well have been taken out of context, I think the overall view that people in this country have the wrong priorities when it comes to spending their money is true.

As a culture - and I don't just mean The Poor - we really don't value food enough. Cheap, cheaper and cheaper food is what we demand, without thinking through the consequences of that.

We are also, though, not taught about food at school any more - with the result that we now have several generations of children who have grown up being fed ready meals and processed foods - because their parents can't cook, therefore ensuring that they won't learn how to cook either.

And if you can't cook you are reliant on manufactured food rather than being able to buy the raw ingredients and transform them into decent meals.

So food takes a disproportionate share of the weekly budget.

Given the insistence of some that Jamie's meals require a groaning store cupboard of expensive items,

I'd like to ask Jamie what he suggests would be really good basic ingredients to have in our cupboards that have the broadest relevance for as many meals as possible.

This thread is not accepting new messages.