This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

Mumsnet campaign for a change to the libel law

(84 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 10-May-07 08:54:01

Well there's this thing called Parliament and in it there's this other thing called government and they sometimes make some things called laws...Think that's how it works anyway - I did politics at Uni.

morningpaper Thu 10-May-07 08:51:33

How would this sort of thing be changed, without a legal case setting a precedent?

littlelapin Thu 10-May-07 08:43:36

Gosh we are supermums! (or is that just Justine )

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 10-May-07 08:35:37

bump for those not up at midnight last night!

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 09-May-07 23:40:05

well, I have no ideas, but give my full support to any action you take with this.

Wotzsaname Wed 09-May-07 23:37:19

abit late now, i'll have a read over morning coffee, thanks for asking for your views.
FWIW - I think the "Disclaimer" should be more prominent, up with Contact us.

FiveFingeredFiend Wed 09-May-07 23:22:54

Nothing to add, but Right on sista!

SoapOnARope Wed 09-May-07 23:21:58

Thanks Justine going for a good read. i could do with a change of reading matter

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 09-May-07 23:19:11

As you probably know we've been banging on for a while about updating the outmoded libel law so that sites like Mumsnet are afforded a bit more protection from potentially terminal legal action. Now we've settled our dispute with Gina Ford, we thought it a good idea to fully explain our position here . We've also written to the Department for Constitutional affairs today who are currently consulting on defamation. Do let us know if you have any thoughts/suggestions of anything else we should be doing.
Thanks,
M Towers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now