PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. It's not the place for promoting other campaigns or petitions. If you do that here, we will either delete your thread or move it to a more appropriate place on our boards.

A Mumsnet Campaign on Rape and Sexual Violence

(128 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Fri 21-Oct-11 21:15:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flower60 Wed 22-Feb-12 18:47:20

Boys in my daughter's catholic secondary regularly simulate masturbation in the classroom. They are 12/13 years old.

We have informed the school and the police believing that this behaviour is an offence and would be dealt with the same as sexual harrassment in the workplace and staffroom of the school.

The school want to deal with this 'in-house' but are totally ineffective and even told the boys which girl had complained.

There is evidence stating that many adult sexual offenders have demonstrated inappropriate sexual behaviour as children and I believe your campaign should be extended to include schools, both primary and secondary, to insist that inappropriate sexual behaviour is reported to the police and that persistent repeat behaviour results in exclusion.

Comments appreciated.

JosephineB Tue 21-Feb-12 13:51:06

Done!

KatieMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 20-Feb-12 16:47:19

Thanks JosephineB - great suggestions. I've just started a new thread - so we can get straight to the point here any chance you could repost?

Sorry to be a pain!

Thanks x

JosephineB Fri 17-Feb-12 17:26:04

That should have been That if a woman has been drinking she only has herself to blame
blush

JosephineB Fri 17-Feb-12 17:18:49

What are the 5 most important myths to dispel

My thoughts:

That a victims sexual history is relevant
That a victims clothing is related to risk (and in particular the highly offensive 'analogy' that is always made with theft eg it's like walking around a bad part of town with money hanging out your pocket)
That the rate of false allegations is high
That there are degrees of rape
That is a woman has been drinking she only has herself to blame

KatieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 15-Feb-12 15:48:12

Hi everyone

So, we've been putting a bit of thought into the campaign and how we can help and are planning on making the campaign live in mid March. Before this we'll get on with the survey, asking for Mumsnetters experiences, and working on a press release to raise the profile of the campaign - and hopefully tackling a few myths.

KateMumsnet's been collaborating with Rape Crisis and the End Violence Against Women coalition, and we're hoping to host a webchat during the course of the week.

Before we start finalising detail though, we really need your help.
1. The title of the campaign - 'I believe you' - I know was really strongly supported on here (and is popular with us too). But after a bit of discussion in the office, we were wondering if 'we believe you' is more effective - showing the collective effect of our campaign, and emphasising that we're not just lone voices supporting individuals? It would be good to have your thoughts.

2. Dispelling myths. What are the 5 most important myths to dispel (rape is usually by a stranger, victims are usually to blame) - suggestions really appreciated - we'll then source the best facts to prove them wrong.

And as ever - do let us know any other thoughts.

MNHQ

smallnotfaraway Tue 10-Jan-12 11:57:57

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this to get enough views and signatures. It's a petition to get a SARC (Sexual Assault Referral Centre) in Every Town With a Population over 120,000. This is the link to the petition - there are currently only 843 signatures and it needs 100,000 for it to be discussed in parliament. They are listed as 'SARC in more Towns' on Facebook if you need further information or insight into the campaign.

itsTwiiiiiiiiiiitmaaaaaaasss Tue 06-Dec-11 13:05:45

Some-one mentioned a website started by a MNer, I think this thread is about it
here
Totally for 'I believe you'

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Nov-11 21:35:58

Hello

No exciting news (yet, we do hope to have something for you soon), but in the meantime, we wanted to let you know about the results of our sex education survey, which includes a question about sexual violence and bullying in the context of the SRE curriculum.

Thanks,
MNHQ

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 31-Oct-11 10:15:34

Thanks SGM - that's great. Hope to come back soon with an update on where we're at with the other organisations.

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 28-Oct-11 07:33:20

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 27-Oct-11 21:24:04

Slimenoseros Thu 27-Oct-11 21:22:49

thanks Stewiegriffinsmom for pointing me in the direction of this thread, I support it and I am looking forward to see what comes of it thanks I never told anyone what happened to me as a child simply because I did not think I would be believed.

Wooooooooooooooppity Thu 27-Oct-11 19:02:21

We really need to tackle schools don't we. FGS, schools are still promoting rape myths - anyone heard about that Kent headteacher who wrote some letter or other saying that girls were put "at risk" by wearing short skirts? I mean, if headteachers are telling girls that they're responsible for rape because of waht they're wearing, what hope is there?

link to petition here

AyeDunnoReally Thu 27-Oct-11 09:01:27

SGM, you're a star. And thank you, MNHQ.

Shall get my thinking cap on for what specifics I can offer, but in the meantime, just shout if I can help in any way.

This is such good news. Thanks MNHQ.

Totally agree with NarkyPuffin about targetting schools and zero tolerance of sexism and sexual assault there.

AlwaysWild Wed 26-Oct-11 19:37:31

Thanks MNHQ thanks

WilsonFrickett Wed 26-Oct-11 18:11:07

I think the PHSE is a good idea too as well as resources parents can use - I'd really welcome something to help me broach these subjects with DS.

Also wanted to add I'm a copywriter and willing to offer my skills up to help in any way I can.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 26-Oct-11 18:05:45

WilsonFrickett Wed 26-Oct-11 17:46:46

I'm in and I think I believe you is great.

CatherineMacauley Wed 26-Oct-11 17:34:08

I'm so pleased that MN are going to do this.

KatieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Oct-11 16:49:42

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all your comments and support, thanks in particular to florriesdragon for such an amazing offer, really generous and brave of you to say we can use your experience.

KateMumset (subtly, but ohhh so importantly a different person to me) will now get on to the different orgs to see if how/ when we can get involved, and if they can use a survey from us. We'll also set up a thread re PSHE v. soon and of course let you know how we progress.

sproooOOoogger Wed 26-Oct-11 16:40:13

I fully support this campaign and think "I Believe You" and the anti-rape myth approaches are extremely valuable.

Thanks SGM for raising the idea.

lubbermummy Wed 26-Oct-11 15:58:56

Adding my full support for this campaign and its two pronged approach.

a great idea!

KRITIQ Wed 26-Oct-11 14:51:48

Oh florrie, how ghastly. I think the posters must have come out just after I moved from South Wales - used to do some work with SW police and wonder wtaf they were thinking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now