THE FURQUITS BOOKSWAP ROUND 2 - Saladbomb's Book - MB by JL

(9 Posts)
Wheelybug Wed 01-Sep-10 16:22:17

Discuss !

itsatiggerday Tue 28-Sep-10 14:01:11

Finally finished!

I find this book a little confusing to reflect on. In theory I really liked it, I thought the quality of the writing of living with Tourette’s was excellent and I thought it was a strong end to a detective story. The last 30 pages I found myself unable to stop reading even though it was way past my bedtime!

But those things are also part of the reason I didn’t hugely enjoy reading it – I kept losing the thread each time I came back to it which I think was partly due to the slightly disjointed flow of text with the tics in it. And although the end was strong, I found the rest of the detective plot a little weak which was if anything highlighted by the strength of the ending.

But then this month has been a little crazy hosting a big family party and four birthdays incl DD so maybe I just never got enough time to sit down and get into it properly. I am glad I read it, had never heard of the author and it would certainly make me curious about other things he’s written and I knew nothing about Tourette’s so it was worth it for that if nothing else.

Jas Sat 16-Oct-10 13:40:00

I would say this book is a very interesting book about living with ', rather than a detective story. I found that part of the story very weak, although I agree that the ending was much better, and really did grip me n the last few chapters.

I really liked the descriptions of the tics and compulsions, but would probably not have kept going with it after the first few chapters if it hadn't been a book swap book. I'm glad I did, as it really did improve vastly and would have been a shame to miss.

Thanks, Saladbomb, for an interesting choice.

rocketleaf Sat 06-Nov-10 21:19:25

Glad you both liked it in the end even if it didn't grip to begin with. I am not used to reading detective novels (I read this as the author has written some other more sci-fi based ones) so perhaps didn't notice the weakness in that regard, think i was more interested in the main character as a person at the time of reading.

Wheelybug Sun 21-Nov-10 20:21:58

Hi. I've just finished this. I found it quite readable although not my usual sort of thing.

I agree that the tourette's angle was more interesting than the detective story and agree the ending was stronger than the rest in this regard.

I don't think I would rush to read another by the same author (mainly because I already have so many 'to reads' that I have to be quite selective!) but was good to read something different and that's what makes bookswap good !

Thanks Saladbomb.

simpson Sun 09-Jan-11 19:03:32

This book arrived yesterday, so am about to get stuck in grin

simpson Thu 27-Jan-11 21:29:15

Soory but I could not get on with this book at all blush

I gave up after only one chapter (please don't take offence!!)

I just found it too confusing...sorry!!!

rocketleaf Thu 10-Mar-11 19:17:29

No offence taken, simpson! You can't please all of the people all of the time wink

Lightshines Thu 01-Nov-12 17:19:13

I have no idea why, but this has been on my shelf for a long time and I knew it was left over from a previous MN Book Swap, sorry! blush

Did not manage to finish it, although I did get well over half way. I had the same issues as itsatiggerday, which was that the detective element of the story was not a strong enough storyline and I kept losing myself between reads.

However, Lionel is a brilliant character - I was fascinated by the tics (quite topical at the moment following the publication of Jessica Thom's book) and there were some genuinely laugh-out-loud funny bits! Its almost a shame he was not in a book which showcased him better!

Do you want your copy back, Saladbomb?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now