HCG level won't go down. Advice?

(9 Posts)
MrsGingerbread Thu 19-Jun-14 17:09:53

Hello,

I had a miscarriage at 5 + 2 over a month ago. At that time my level was only 18 - my pregnancy hadn't got very far. My miscarriage took just over a week to run its course.

A month later the doctor has rerun and now my hcg is 48 - but I haven't fallen pregnant again as 2 days ago it was 44 - so pretty much the same.

Does anyone have any experience of hcg that didn't drop? What might the root cause be?

Thanks!

Rockchick1984 Thu 19-Jun-14 23:59:11

I think the usual cause of HCG not dropping is retained products, has your GP made any suggestions?

Xcountry Fri 20-Jun-14 00:09:57

Sounds like retained product. Did you have a D&C? or natural?

Xcountry Fri 20-Jun-14 00:10:24

Typical, x post with Rockchic oops

allisgood1 Sat 21-Jun-14 23:05:33

I had this and it was unfortunately retained products. I had a second d&c to remove it

rainbow9713 Tue 01-Jul-14 13:51:39

I had this but I was still pregnant. I went into A&E with cramps and heavy bleeding and they told me was miscarrying, I went in 2 days later and my levels had increased and they kept increasing. I now have a baby girl who is 1 next week.
However, I don't want to give you false hope but even after scans they couldn't confirm I was definately pregnant until I was 10 weeks. So get them to double check.

squizita Fri 11-Jul-14 14:00:47

It is most likely retained products and these have a risk of infection so contact the hospital that treated you directly and ask them.

They should call you in because there are (very rare) other things which would need treatment:
1) It was a loss of 1 twin and another is still in there
2) It could be a complication such as undiagnosed ectopic or molar/partial molar, which require hospital treatment (very rare, but happened to me.

PLEASE DO CALL YOUR HOSPITAL - FX IT'S (1)!!

Mrsm14 Fri 11-Jul-14 16:40:07

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I had a miscarriage 3 weeks ago and no one has mentioned HCG levels to me and I have seen GP and a gynaecologist (they thought I had an infection after ERPC). Is this something that is normally tested? This was my first pregnancy and I feel like there's so much I don't know. Thanks all x

squizita Fri 11-Jul-14 17:57:02

2 weeks after an ERPC or blood loss, you just need to use a home test and check it after 5 minutes, call your gynie if it's positive. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now