Nausea, shivering, fever 48 hours after ERPC

(24 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Oct-12 08:40:51

Is this normal, just the effect of the anaesthetic wearing off, or something to be worried about.

I felt ok at the weekend, just lots of cramping and exhaustion. Last night, exactly 48 hours after the anaesthetic, I started shivering uncomtrollably and couldn't get warm. This morning I have a temperature and feel nauseous. I feel like death warmed up, and ridiculously hormonal.

I will phone the GP but I know I'm going to burst into tears on the iPhone and make no sense blush

aleene Mon 22-Oct-12 08:48:32

Sounds like you have an infection. You will need ABs. Phone doc asap, you must feel awful. have you got anyone with you?

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Oct-12 08:52:52

Nobody with me. Just the dog.

Can't hold it together long enough to phone GP.

GP 20 -30 mins drive away and thee is thick fog. Don't think I'm safe to drive. Desperately trying to think of someone I can ask to take me. The only 2 friends I've told don't drive. What a mess.

Do you think I could ask for a home visit, or is that ridiculous? They're o ky for really sick people aren't they.

titan Mon 22-Oct-12 08:58:30

Go to A & E. They will probably want to do blood tests/scans and give antibiotics intravenously at first. It may be an early sign of endometritis which if untreated or undertreated can make you very sick. Hope you feel better soon.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Oct-12 09:01:43

Oh bugger, that sounds bad.

VinegarTits Mon 22-Oct-12 09:02:37

the shivering sounds like rigors you probably need anti-b's, i would get yourself to a&e

aleene Mon 22-Oct-12 09:06:59

Can you ask a neighbour? you really do need medical attention.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Oct-12 09:08:10

Have phoned GP, they're calling back.

aleene Mon 22-Oct-12 09:24:19

That is good news. Let us know how you get on, if you can.

EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 22-Oct-12 09:33:58

Darling call a cab. Don't try and drive like this. I hope they sort you out sharpish xxx

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Oct-12 09:39:39

Got a friend on standby to take me wherever I need to go. Can't get any sense out of anyone. GP tells to to call the consultant who did the op. and not go to A&E, his secretary tells me to call the GP.

Just burst into tears on phone to the school secretary.blush

libelulle Mon 22-Oct-12 09:43:31

Oh what an incompetent bunch of buck-passers! They shouldn't be treating you like that. Just go to A&E, they will be duty-bound to treat you. You have an infection that may need IV antibiotics, you are NOT going to be wasting their time.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Mon 22-Oct-12 09:52:06

MrsJD, it could well be a post op infection. Get someone to drive you to a and e, preferably at the hospital you had your op if possible. Being all over the shop is normal when you are ill, but I think you are a bit ill.

Go. Taxi or neighbour/friend to drive you.

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Mon 22-Oct-12 09:54:24

( Ex triage nurse BTW)

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Oct-12 09:55:54

Had the op at a private hospital, with no A&E. GP and consultants secretary said not to go to A&E - confused. Want to avoid it if I can - don't fancy sitting around for hours amd hours with lots of sick people

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 22-Oct-12 10:01:57

I think you ought to go to A&E, OP. You won't necessarily be sitting around for hours, and anyway, wouldn't it be worth it for your health?

It is most likely not serious, but you must get yourself looked at.

You really do need to be seen. Please go to A&E. It definitely sounds like an infection.

titan Mon 22-Oct-12 10:16:17

You do need to be seen and assessed in hospital. In an ideal world either the consultant or your GP could arrange for you to be seen by the gynae team straight away however being seen by the A and E team and then referred on to gynae is the next best option. Either way you need to be headed to A and E.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Oct-12 10:45:30

Spoken to the consultant. Going back to see him this afternoon. He wants to take swabs and will give antibiotics. He says no need for A&E unless things worsen.

Thank you all for the advice and support.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 22-Oct-12 12:59:56

That's good news. Hope all turns out well!

MrsJohnDeere Mon 22-Oct-12 19:13:18

Saw the consultant. He did a lot of internal routing around and took a swab. He wasn't 100% sure that I had an infection. He had doubts because I've had next to no bleeding and no smelly discharge, or something. confused Although he said that some bit inside (cant remember what) was very tender. He said it might just be flu, with strangely coincidental timing. Not convinced myself - I had proper flu last year (and though you couldn't get it again so soon) and I've had a flu jab.

Anyway, he gave me anti-biotics (Augmentin) in case it is an infection.

Who knows? Felt like I was wasting his time tbh.

aleene Mon 22-Oct-12 19:35:41

Sorry he was not more understanding but you were def not wasting his time. I had an infection with symptoms just like yours after an erpc. I was in hospital for days and one thing I learned was different doctors has different opinions - literally i had different doctors walking into my room saying the opposite to the one before. Hope you are feeling better x

ilikemysleep Sat 27-Oct-12 22:06:08

MrsJohnDeere

Probably a bit late now - but I had uncontrollable shivering and felt like death after 3 of my children were born, between 48 hrs and about a week. I would wake up drenched with sweat, headaches etc.

In my case it was a reaction to the crash in hormones from pregnancy ( I am expecting a really fun menopause...) I wonder if you could have been having the same thing?

MrsJohnDeere Sun 28-Oct-12 08:43:40

Ilikemysleep - that's really interesting, and something I hadn't thought of. Actually I did have the same after ds1 was born (but not after ds2 confused) - fever, uncontrolable shivering etc. I had completely forgotten about it. He was so desperately ill when he was born (had chicken pox and was in SCBU for some days) that I was more focussed on him than myself.

After a couple of days of taking the anti-biotics I felt much better, and physically I am pretty much recovered from the op. I had bad cramps last night that needed painkillers, but basically feel good, if tired. Stomach has pretty much reverted to its Pre-pregnancy state, but is still a little tender. Obviously the emotional side of things takes a lot longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now