Week 1 - May Low Carb Bootcamp - It all starts here!

(1000 Posts)
BIWI Mon 05-May-14 08:54:33

Morning campers!

Sorry for the late start. But what with it being the Bank Holiday and everything, I didn't have to set my alarm.

Anyway, you can now sign into the weight tracker

And a quick reminder of the rules:

You aren't allowed to eat:

potatoes
pasta
rice/noodles
bread
sugar
flour

And for the first two weeks you can't eat fruit or drink alcohol

The idea behind Bootcamp is that whilst it should be strict (and therefore, hopefully, work!) that it should also be easy - therefore there is no weighing or counting of anything. Just ten rules that you need to follow.

And here are the rules of Bootcamp (the first two weeks)

1.Eat three, proper meals a day.

You must eat breakfast. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but you must have something. For the rest of the day, if you’re eating enough food and you are in ketosis then you shouldn’t be hungry. But if you are hungry, eat something. (Hard boiled eggs make a great snack)

2.Avoid processed food,

and focus on pure, natural protein as the basis for your meals – meat/fish/eggs. Things like sausages, ham, bacon, pre-prepared burgers etc should be avoided as much as possible. Avoid foods marketed as low carb, e.g. Atkins Daybreak bars.

3.Maximise your fat intake.

Fry in butter, add butter to vegetables, eat salad with a home-made vinaigrette dressing (not made with balsamic vinegar though), add mayonnaise where you can (just check the carb count on your mayo first). Eat fattier cuts of meat – e.g. pork belly, roast chicken with the skin on and/or eat the fat off your lamb chops. Absolutely no low fat/light foods of any kind!

4.Make sure you are eating vegetables and salads with your food

This is where your carbs should come from. But choose only those vegetables that are on the allowed list. You don’t have to weigh/count carbs – this is one of the great joys of this WOE (way of eating), but if you’re new to low carbing it can be helpful to weigh your portions of veg in the early days, just so that you know how many carbs are in the sort of portions that you like to eat

5.Minimal dairy

(Apart from butter, which is unlimited). If you are drinking tea/coffee with milk or cream, try to restrict yourself to max 2 cups per day. You may eat cheese, but only in small amounts.

6.You must drink a minimum of 2 litres of water per day.

"The more weight you have to lose, the more water you should drink. This is from www.low-carbdiet.co.uk/. Water is essential to weight loss for those who eat low-carb. The minimum consumed in a day should be:

Your Weight--------Litres
140lbs-----------------2.5
160lbs-----------------3.0
180lbs-----------------3.0
200lbs-----------------3.5
220lbs-----------------3.5
240lbs-----------------4.0
260lbs-----------------4.5
280lbs-----------------4.5
300lbs-----------------5.0
320lbs-----------------5.5
340lbs-----------------5.5
360lbs-----------------6.0
380lbs-----------------6.5
400lbs-----------------6.5

High levels of ketones in the blood stream can lead to a reduction in ketone production, therefore being well hydrated could aid in keeping the levels low and ketone production ongoing. Consuming enough water can have many other positive side effects: aids your kidneys with the processing of protein, reduces the retention of water, helps with preventing constipation, and reduces the levels of ketones released by your breath, which in-turn will reduce breath odour.

However, drinking a lot of water can mean that you also need to keep an eye on your electrolyte balance. You need to make sure that you are consuming sufficient sodium and potassium. On a low carb diet we can eat more salt, so make sure that you are cooking with salt and adding salt to food, if you like it. Good, low carb, sources of potassium are spinach (raw), avocado, mushrooms, courgettes and asparagus, as well as salmon and yoghurt.

7. No alcohol

Alcohol is the easiest source of fuel for the body to burn, so it will always use this first before it starts to burn any fat - which is why you need to restrict it, especially in the first two weeks of Bootcamp, when we are encouraging the body to stop using carbs for its source of fuel and turn to fat-burning instead. If you really can't do this - at least try and restrict it to the weekend. Vodka with soda is the best thing to drink. Or Champagne, red wine or dry white wine.

8. No fruit.

Really. Seriously. Honestly. None at all. Zilch. Nada. After Bootcamp you will be able to introduce certain fruits, but at this stage fruit is simply too carby. We are also trying to break the addiction to sweet things, so cutting fruit out is part of this process. If you are getting all your carbs from vegetables and salad, you will be getting all the nutrients and fibre that you need.

9. No nuts/seeds.

In Bootcamp Light these are a great snack, but they can very quickly add a whole load of carbs to your day, so they are best avoided during Bootcamp

10. No sugar or artificial sweeteners.

Sugar is an obvious ‘no no’, but artificial sweeteners are also an issue. One of the aims of this way of eating is to eat pure and natural foods, so including sweeteners is not recommended. Some people find that artificial sweeteners can impede their weight loss, and there is some suggestion that your body can respond to sweeteners as if they were sugar, by releasing more insulin - and therefore laying down fat.

Given that the aim of Bootcamp is to help us lose our sweet tooth and addiction to sweet things, then it is a good idea to avoid sweeteners altogether in this first two weeks.

You might find it useful to print these rules out and stick them on the fridge, or somewhere handy.

And, although I'm not sure what's happening about the spreadsheet this time, have a look at the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness at the tabs on the bottom, there is loads of useful information

BIWI Sun 11-May-14 16:30:51

I think stock cubes are OK - in themselves they are quite high in carbs, but by the time they are part of a dish, to serve 4-6 people, the carbs will be relatively low

calzone Sun 11-May-14 17:03:25

((shock Biwi....sticks out tongue))

For swede chips, I peel, cut into chip shapes, drizzle with oil and shove in the oven.

They don't go crispy but makes you think you are eating chips! smilesmile

NeverHadANickname Sun 11-May-14 17:09:29

Thanks calzone

Saracarbonera Sun 11-May-14 17:26:49

Hi all, this is the first time I've posted on this thread, although I have been lurking. I've been following bootcamp since it started last Monday and when I weighed myself this morning I had lost 6lb so happy.

I have been really strict and I do think that this is important to succeed properly.

I did the bootcamp before Christmas and lost 1.5 stone (I put on 0.5 stone between Christmas and now.

So now to get down to a weight I'll be happy with I still have to loose 1.1 stone. I'm determined to do it this bootcamp.

<strokes calzone's hair>

I am blaming your nickname - clearly, you got 'carbinated' grin

StuntNun Sun 11-May-14 17:55:17

B: Greek yoghurt and cream, one boiled egg, tea
L: roast pork with crackling, broccoli
D: spinach and pancetta salad

I don't think I'll see a weight loss tomorrow, must lay a trap for the whoosh fairy.

readyforno2 Sun 11-May-14 17:59:20

B - mushroom omelette, bacon, one sausage
Black tea
L - not that hungry after mammoth breakfast so had a small salad with a little cheese
D - chicken and veg stir fry

Loads of water too.

calzone Sun 11-May-14 18:08:28

I did wonder!

I could invent a LC calzone and she might love me......grin

BIWI Sun 11-May-14 18:09:57

I do love you! I sent you flowers!

jumpinghoops Sun 11-May-14 18:28:10

Argghh...I am STARVING. Just survived lunch at a friend's house and a kids party following on from that for 5 hours. Had to forgo lunch entirely (pasta and garlic bread) with wine and feign illness as I couldn't face announcing to the table of 15 adults that I didn't know very well that I was LC'ing. Manage to snaffle a few olives from the kids table, drank loads of water and bought little piece of Brie, salami, celery and half avocado to eat on the way home. Not really touched the sides though. Can't wait to get home and cook spme sausages!!

MintyCoolMojito Sun 11-May-14 18:33:11

I have just got a cottage pie out of the oven and am drooling at the prospect of having it for dinner; mince, shallots + mushrooms + celery fried in butter, with a leek and a wee bit of cheese crispy topping. It tastes amazing...now just waiting for it to cool down a bit

jumpinghoops Sun 11-May-14 18:44:19

Gah, Minty, sounds delicious.I think a little bit of drool just escaped my mouth (sorry)grin Am eyeing up the dregs of the party bags. I will stay strong. I will stay strong.

MintyCoolMojito Sun 11-May-14 18:49:55

Plus courgettes, which I julienned then fried in butter for some colour, then onto an oven tray and in the oven with lots of salt, pepper and chilli flakes. They aren't crispy - unfortunately - but they do taste very good.

I've spent a lot of time cooking this afternoon, which is something I don't really enjoy doing. However it's a habit I need to cultivate I think, if I am going to stick with this WOE.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sun 11-May-14 18:51:08

Crap day. Despite being strict, apart from the little slip up on Friday, I have still lost nothing. BUT I feel good, less lethargic and never hungry.
Anyway, bacon and eggs, with green tea, three glasses of water and small bowl ff yog and cream with smidge of vanilla paste.
Out shopping,so a bottle of water, bresaola, cheese and creamy coleslaw.
Dinner is fatty pork chops, marinated in coconut oil and ras al hanout. Braised leeks and purple sprouting broccoli in butter and cream.
I do so hope things start moving soon. sad

lowcarbforthewin Sun 11-May-14 18:56:51

Fingers crossed they will Ohwhat. It's amazing how small slips do make the scales stick, and sometimes there is just a whoosh.

I have steak, wild garlic pesto and asparagus for supper. Oh yes. grin

I'm going to try to make some Hollandaise sauce this week. I was looking at the one you can buy, the Maille one and dear god the ingredients are disgusting. The first two are vegetable oil and glucose fructose syrup. Bleugh. Why have we gone so wrong with our food?

HolgerDanske Sun 11-May-14 19:10:09

My partner has made me a looovely aubergine, tomato and mozzarella bake. Had some for lunch and will portion the rest up for this week and next.

Am having carby thoughts this evening.

I don't think I will see a loss tomorrow. Am trying to decide if I should wait a week to let things happen.

BIWI Sun 11-May-14 19:11:16

Totally agree, lowcarbforthewin! Good recipe here for Hollandaise

readyforno2 Sun 11-May-14 19:32:30

Quick question..
Am I allowed sugar free chewing gum?

Best1sWest Sun 11-May-14 19:33:18

Day 6
B - halloumi, tomatoes and scrambled egg.
L - egg mayo and little gem lettuce.
D - 2 Black Farmer sausages, mashed swede, buttered leeks. Found the sausages very very salty though the flavour was ok. Didn't really enjoy this at all, it felt too greasy.

2 cups decaff earl Grey. 1 Americano with cream in Starbucks, on my 3rd litre of water.

Birdinacage Sun 11-May-14 19:39:05

Well I survived the pizza hut trip, had a big bowl full of salad from the salad bar. There wasn't a huge amount that was LC as half the salad is made up of doritos, bread sticks, couscous and various versions of pasta salad but there were cherry tomatoes, rocket, lettuce and I had a little bit of red pepper to add some variety so was ok if a little boring. The lack of fat or protein means I'm pretty hungry now though so will be off to make myself some food in a minute.

StringBeanJean Sun 11-May-14 19:54:22

Thanks for explaining bootcamp light BIWI, all has become clear now! I shall look forward to treating myself to some raspberries in just over a week's time then!

And I have upped my salt intake today as well as water on your wise advice and am feeling a bit better this evening. Had some radishes with ice cold salty butter, dipped in salt flakes - yummmmmm.

Re: cheaters, I just want to say sorry I posted about that glass of wine, everyone, and feel v bad now. It was insensitive of me and I apologise. I had had a bit of a hideous ordeal that day, but I should have kept it to myself. I haven't swayed from the BC path this week other than that grin

what do you do when: DS has chunk of ice cream dripping down his face
a. wipe it with a finger and pop it in your mouth
b. wipe it with a finger and get up and find a cloth
c. bit his hand off at wrist and chew

B. leftover pork and small yogurt
L. More pork with large green salad
D. Beef leek coconut curry with Aubergine
2 coffee and trying to make ground up on water

BIWI Sun 11-May-14 20:02:56

grin

SnowieBear Sun 11-May-14 20:04:15

Hi there, Bootcampers old and new alike. I did the previous bootcamp and shed a stone. Had a little break over two weeks at Easter, otherwise I've been mainly on the LC straight and narrow (save for a handful of occasions where there was no alternative and not eating was not an option). So... I've managed not to add to my weight and I am ready to start again, really want to shed another 1/2 stone this time round. Joining you a week later - it was my birthday on Monday and had two work dos to attend - I'm ready at last!

<waves to BIWI, trashy, chicken, stuntnun and everyone else... shimmy down the bench for the bear> smile

ImSoOverIt Sun 11-May-14 20:37:27

Just got back from the weekend of wedding! Managed to pretty much stick to it, bar the alcohol which was only ever vodka, dry white wine and prosecco, and drunk fairly moderately with lots of water between drinks.

I manage to carbinate at all the meals , and stick to things that were allowed.

Pretty chuffed with myself tbh, as I managed to do it without causing too much fuss as well. Will be interesting to see what happens at weigh in tomorrow. Good luck for tomorrow everyone!

This thread is not accepting new messages.