"Did you know about this awesome thing you can buy from..."

(63 Posts)
Gerrythetootallgiraffeswife Sat 18-Jan-14 09:29:38

Can we have a thread on this? I see great stuff on the main thread (someone mentioned cooked belly pork slices) but, like recipes, it moves so quickly that I lose things and can't keep up!

I should probably start with something I've discovered. But I haven't... I just steal other people's ideas. But I'm off to lidl today so looking for inspiration

hopebeyondreason Sat 18-Jan-14 10:22:11

Celeriac - has been a revelation to me, as I've never tasted it before. I luvs it!

heliumheart Sat 18-Jan-14 12:17:36

Brilliant idea for a thread. smile

I'll be back later when I'm not on my phone to add mine.

Lighthousekeeping Sat 18-Jan-14 13:57:34

Is there a recipe thread where we can type in the dish? I've got a small sad looking cauliflower I'm thinking of ways to cook it.

ihatethecold Sat 18-Jan-14 14:03:08

Cauli mash is great, boil the mash, then grate it.
I freeze it if I've made too much

Custardo Sat 18-Jan-14 14:04:51

i adore low carb megastore mama lupe wraps (3 carbs each) and bread (2 carbs midget slices though)

Gerrythetootallgiraffeswife Sat 18-Jan-14 14:30:51

So today's lidl shop I discovered:

Feta stuffed olives in oil
The famous creamy yoghurt
Cheese coleslaw
Whole skin on chicken legs (usually can only find them separate thighs/drumsticks. 4 legs for less than £3!)

Diabetic chocolate, not too much though as it gives you really bad wind

New Covent Garden Mushroom soup is about 6g of carbs, I know soup is super easy to make but there are some nights where I'm just too busy can't be arsed

The thing I find difficult is the low carb equivalent of a supermarket sandwich meal deal, my solution for this is a pot of sandwich filler like egg and bacon; prawn mayo; chicken ceasar salad - the sainsburys ones around 6g carb per serving; or a chicken portion from the rotisserie counter.

FourArms Sat 18-Jan-14 15:23:31

I had a lovely pot of crayfish tails in a dill and mustard mayo and a small packet of mini chorizo sausages. Nice on the go snacks from Waitrose service station shops.

restingactress - I tend to buy a salad bowl and ham / prawns / no drain tuna / mini cheeses etc for supermarket sandwich alternative.

teaandthorazine Sat 18-Jan-14 15:49:09

M&S do some great snacky lunch stuff that suits LC, though obviously not cheap. I particularly like their pot of feta, asparagus and chargrilled courgette in a very garlicky olive oil dressing. Their pots of prawns and mayo, or the divine grilled tikka prawns and calamari with yogurt dip are all v good and about 3G carb per pot. Plus packs of cooked chicken/ham/salami, olives, cheese...all good. Not the cheapo option though, but good in an emergency.

I've raved before on LC threads about packs of smoked duck breast from Lidl. Bloody gorgeous in a lunch time salad. And Moser Roth chocolate (post Bootcamp only!) in little individual packs, get the dark stuff, great for a treat after dinner.

FourArms Sat 18-Jan-14 15:56:15

Anything good in Aldi?

Notsoskinnyminny Sat 18-Jan-14 18:21:13

Lighthousekeeping this is delicious but don't slice the leeks to thinly and do your prep first, my kitchen looked like a battlefield because I tried to do bits while other bits were cooking grin

SayraT Sat 18-Jan-14 19:32:18

I know that others have been adding orange oil to yogurt and I bought some in Sainsburys today, they also had rose water which I bought. I think that will be good in yogurt or to flavour low-carb ice cream.

Lighthousekeeping Sat 18-Jan-14 19:56:06

What yoghurt are you using?

SayraT Sat 18-Jan-14 21:19:50

I use the one from lidl, it comes in a big tub. I think others are using Total. Those are the lowest carb (I think).

BIWI Sun 19-Jan-14 12:56:42

Here's the recipe thread, Lighthousekeeping

There's a recipe on there, I think, for spicy cauliflower rice/couscous

BIWI Sun 19-Jan-14 13:04:17

Actually, there wasn't a recipe for it, but there is now grin

PseudoBadger Sun 19-Jan-14 18:43:04

Crispy bacon slices from M&S

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sun 19-Jan-14 18:46:44

Turnips. Mashed mostly. They are yum, although that's from someone who loves Brussels/swede etc. I had never tried them before.

EwanHoozami Sun 19-Jan-14 18:49:52

kale crisps! Put shredded kale in a baking tray with groundnut oil and salt and maybe some chilli flakes and bake until it goes crispy. Woof.

More of a recipe than a thing to buy but still.

EwanHoozami Sun 19-Jan-14 18:51:08

Cauli - you can roast this with groundnut and chilli too. Also with some cumin seeds. Can you see a theme appearing chez Hoozami?

FrillyMilly Sun 19-Jan-14 19:06:24

I buy big pots of alpro yoghurt, they are 2.1g carbs per 100g. I get almond or hazelnut milk instead of cows milk. I'm not keen on black coffee. I have to get these from Asda though. From aldi I get the moser Roth chocolate, cottage cheese, halloumi, portobello mushrooms. The premium coleslaw is delicious and 2.8g carbs per 100g.

ewan kale crisps sound right up my street. What gas mark are you cooking at and how long?

pootlebug Mon 20-Jan-14 11:58:25

Saw diabetic chocolate mentioned above..... check the carb count carefully - often it's just as high in carbs as normal chocolate but just slower-acting carbs. Very dark chocolate (85 or 90% cocoa) is generally lower carb and infinitely tastier. And because it's so rich tasting you can only manage a square or two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now